|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," what was judged by where a woman wanted to go rather than by where she was?
2. What did Lottie Wilson Jackson not want Black women to be compelled to ride in?
(a) Luggage cars.
(b) "Colored cars."
(c) Smoking cars.
(d) Third Class.
3. Who, according to a law passed by the House of Burgesses, had to give female slaves permission before they could marry?
(a) The federal government.
(b) The local government.
(c) The slave-master of the premises.
(d) Their master.
4. In what city did Black washerwomen announce that they were going to charge a standard rate for their work? (1866)
5. According to the text, what were Black women "especially adept" at doing to their masters?
(a) Escaping them.
(b) Burning fields.
(c) Poisoning them.
(d) Seducing them.
6. Who became the first Black Alderman of Chicago?
(a) Jefferson Terrell.
(b) Thomas Paine.
(c) Oscar DePriest.
(d) Anthony Roberts.
7. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
(a) White people.
(b) Black people.
(c) White women.
(d) Black women.
8. Where did Lucy C. Laney graduate from?
(b) Cornell University.
(c) William and Mary.
(d) Atlanta University.
9. Who, at an 1869 convention, spoke in support of the Fifteenth Amendment?
(a) Mattie Griffith.
(b) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(c) Frances Ellen Harper.
(d) Donna Mary Banks.
10. What was the name of the woman that taught former slaves in the 1860's in the South Carolina Sea Islands?
(a) Mary Wright.
(b) Martha Banks.
(c) Sara Brooks.
(d) Laura Towne.
11. What, according to the first item of business of the Black leaders' agenda, did women have to defend?
(b) Their ability to work.
(d) Moral integrity.
12. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
(a) The Alpha Suffrage Club.
(b) The Rights of Women in Illinois Club.
(c) The Women's Suffrage Club.
(d) The Illinois Women's Club.
13. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
(a) It was cut by one fourth.
(b) It doubled.
(c) It was cut in half.
(d) It tripled.
14. What did Dr. Cesare Lombroso publish in 1876?
(a) "Criminal Man."
(b) "Wickedness of the Black."
(c) "Adaptations of the Post-Slave."
(d) "Science of the Negro."
15. In the chapter "To Be a Woman Sublime," according to Francis Ellen Harper the nineteenth century is discovering what?
(a) "Woman's power over man."
(b) "Colored women."
(c) "Woman herself."
(d) "Man's power over woman."
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Whites were shot on the Saturday night raid on the local Black grocery?
2. What did the text claim was so "rampant" in the South that thousands of Black women were compelled to leave the South?
3. What was the name of the largest Black sorority in 1908?
4. What was the name of the slave in 1741 that attempted to burn down the entire settlement of Charleston, Massachusetts?
5. Whom did Anna Julia Cooper state was the "finest woman I have ever known"?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)