|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was known as the "Uncrowned Queen of American Democracy"?
(a) Ida B. Wells.
(b) Sojourner Truth.
(c) Frances Willard.
(d) Lady Somerset.
2. What caused the death of both of Ida B. Wells' parents?
(b) Yellow fever.
(d) Small pox.
3. What was the name of the woman that taught former slaves in the 1860's in the South Carolina Sea Islands?
(a) Laura Towne.
(b) Martha Banks.
(c) Sara Brooks.
(d) Mary Wright.
4. Who organized the Colored Women's Progressive Association in 1880?
(a) Sojourner Truth.
(b) Ida B. Wells.
(c) Mary Stanton.
(d) Mary Ann Shadd Cary.
5. In what city did Black washerwomen announce that they were going to charge a standard rate for their work? (1866)
6. Where was Mary Church Terrell living when she heard the news of the grocer's lynching?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York City.
7. In 1914, who were the largest group of voters in South Carolina?
(a) Black men.
(b) Black women.
(c) White men.
(d) White women.
8. Whom did the Fifteenth Amendment permit the right to vote to?
(a) White women.
(b) Black men.
(c) Black men and women.
(d) Black men and white women.
9. How many signatures did the Victoria Earle Mathew's Loyal Union collect in support of the Blair Amendment?
10. Whose philosophy did schools need to use in order to insure funding for Black schools?
(a) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(b) Ida B. Wells.
(c) Booker T. Washington.
(d) Abraham Lincoln.
11. What did Dr. Cesare Lombroso publish in 1876?
(a) "Science of the Negro."
(b) "Criminal Man."
(c) "Wickedness of the Black."
(d) "Adaptations of the Post-Slave."
12. How much money did the CWL successfully lobby to establish kindergarten classes in 1898?
13. How many lynchings occurred in 1892?
14. What did Ida B. Wells claim "should have a place of honor in every home"?
(a) A Winchester rifle.
(b) The man of the household.
(c) Freedom papers.
(d) A deed to the home.
15. What was the motto of the NACW?
(a) "Acceptance, Equality, and Love."
(b) "Insuring Our Voices Heard."
(c) "Lifting as We Climb."
(d) "Lifting Voices, Hope, and Acceptance."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ida B. Wells-Barnett claim robbed women of one of the most glorious advantages?
2. What did the chapter, "To Be A Woman Sublime" state to be a watershed in the history of Black women?
3. Who became dean of Howard University, was a founding member of the NAACP, and opposed women's suffrage?
4. Who, according to a law passed by the House of Burgesses, had to give female slaves permission before they could marry?
5. Who in February of 1893 was lynched in Paris, Texas under the accusation that he had raped a 5-year-old White girl?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)