|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, according to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," was the wealthiest and best educated Black woman of the time?
(a) Mary Church Terrell.
(b) Fannie Barrier Williams.
(c) Ida B. Wells.
(d) Sojourner Truth.
2. What did Robert Church own, eventually being ransacked in 1866?
(a) A wheat farm.
(b) A barber shop.
(c) A saloon.
(d) A grocery.
3. Following the Civil War, why how did Black men "vindicate their manhood"?
(a) By purchase of thier wives from the slave holder.
(b) By petitioning the government.
(c) By taking authority of women.
(d) By declaring themselves head-of-household.
4. What was established for the purpose of invalid girls to go and help the poor?
(a) Hull House.
(b) Well-Stone Home.
(c) Miller's House.
(d) Farcet House.
5. What did Ida B. Wells-Barnett claim robbed women of one of the most glorious advantages?
(a) Bowing to White power.
(b) Not having children.
(c) Marrying poor.
(d) Ignoring their culture.
6. Who became the first Black Alderman of Chicago?
(a) Anthony Roberts.
(b) Thomas Paine.
(c) Jefferson Terrell.
(d) Oscar DePriest.
7. Whom did Anna Julia Cooper state was the "finest woman I have ever known"?
(a) The slave master's wife.
(b) The slave whom acted as her mother.
(c) Ida B. Wells.
(d) Her mother.
8. What was the name of the grocery that had been a target of White resentment?
(a) Misson's Grocery.
(b) People's Grocery.
(c) First Street Grocery.
(d) Southern Grocery.
9. Who wrote "Voice of the South"?
(a) Dawn South.
(b) Maria Strena Markerson.
(c) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(d) Anna Julia Cooper.
10. In what year did the Fifteenth Amendment pass?
11. What, according to the first item of business of the Black leaders' agenda, did women have to defend?
(b) Moral integrity.
(d) Their ability to work.
12. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
(b) Sale to a tobacco farm.
(c) Burned at the stake.
13. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
(a) The Women's Suffrage Club.
(b) The Alpha Suffrage Club.
(c) The Illinois Women's Club.
(d) The Rights of Women in Illinois Club.
14. What was the name of the woman that taught former slaves in the 1860's in the South Carolina Sea Islands?
(a) Martha Banks.
(b) Mary Wright.
(c) Laura Towne.
(d) Sara Brooks.
15. Where was Mary Church Terrell living when she heard the news of the grocer's lynching?
(c) New York City.
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in February of 1893 was lynched in Paris, Texas under the accusation that he had raped a 5-year-old White girl?
2. What exposition in 1893 presented Black women with the opportunity to address the redefining of the criteria of true womanhood?
3. In 1874, what was the most formidable women's organization in Britain?
4. How many Whites were shot on the Saturday night raid on the local Black grocery?
5. How many Black female lawyers were there coming into the 1880's?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)