|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1830, who did Maria Stewart tell that it was their duty to cultivate a pure heart and thirst for knowledge in their children?
(a) Black mothers.
(b) Black and white mothers.
(c) Black men.
2. Who wrote "Voice of the South"?
(a) Maria Strena Markerson.
(b) Dawn South.
(c) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(d) Anna Julia Cooper.
3. Who were servant women sold to if they were found guilty of bearing a child of her master's in Virginia?
(a) The local prison authorities.
(b) The church.
(c) Another slave holder outside of Virginia.
(d) The local governing male.
4. In what year was Darwin's "Origin of Species" published?
5. According to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," what was judged by where a woman wanted to go rather than by where she was?
6. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
(a) The Rights of Women in Illinois Club.
(b) The Women's Suffrage Club.
(c) The Illinois Women's Club.
(d) The Alpha Suffrage Club.
7. Who in February of 1893 was lynched in Paris, Texas under the accusation that he had raped a 5-year-old White girl?
(a) Charlie Moor.
(b) Henry Smith.
(c) Robert Stank.
(d) Terrance Scott.
8. In 1915, how many state and local branches did the Black Chamber of Commerce have?
9. What city did the lynching occur at the opening of the book?
10. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name" what did Black women have to confront and redefine?
11. How many Black women were registered to vote in New York, where their vote successfully brought about the delegation of Gertrude Curtis and Laura Fisher to the Republican Convention?
12. Following the Civil War, why how did Black men "vindicate their manhood"?
(a) By taking authority of women.
(b) By petitioning the government.
(c) By purchase of thier wives from the slave holder.
(d) By declaring themselves head-of-household.
13. According to Virginia law, how many additional years of servitude did a servant woman have to serve if she bore the child of her master?
14. What was the name of the grocery that had been a target of White resentment?
(a) Southern Grocery.
(b) First Street Grocery.
(c) Misson's Grocery.
(d) People's Grocery.
15. How much money did the CWL successfully lobby to establish kindergarten classes in 1898?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the slave in 1741 that attempted to burn down the entire settlement of Charleston, Massachusetts?
2. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
3. What, according to the first item of business of the Black leaders' agenda, did women have to defend?
4. According to Virginia law, if a Christian was found to "commit fornication" with a Negro man or woman, how would his fines multiply?
5. What exposition in 1893 presented Black women with the opportunity to address the redefining of the criteria of true womanhood?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)