|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
(c) Burned at the stake.
(d) Sale to a tobacco farm.
2. In 1915, how many state and local branches did the Black Chamber of Commerce have?
3. When did the first African men and women come to Virginia?
4. What was the name of the grocery that had been a target of White resentment?
(a) People's Grocery.
(b) First Street Grocery.
(c) Misson's Grocery.
(d) Southern Grocery.
5. What city did the lynching occur at the opening of the book?
6. What novel spoke to the desire of slave women to become the mistress of their masters?
(a) "A Need for More."
(b) "Desires of the American Slave."
(c) "The Negro Family."
(d) "Conditions of the Negro in America."
7. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
(a) It doubled.
(b) It tripled.
(c) It was cut in half.
(d) It was cut by one fourth.
8. In what city did Black washerwomen announce that they were going to charge a standard rate for their work? (1866)
9. What was the name of the first Black novel published in America? (1861)
(a) "A Story."
(d) "Freedom RIngs."
10. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name" what did Black women have to confront and redefine?
11. Following the Civil War, why how did Black men "vindicate their manhood"?
(a) By purchase of thier wives from the slave holder.
(b) By petitioning the government.
(c) By taking authority of women.
(d) By declaring themselves head-of-household.
12. According to the Chapter "Defending Our Name," what city in 1893 exported more cotton than any other city in America?
13. Who, in 1867, spoke against the Fifteenth Amendment before the AERA?
(a) Sojourner Truth.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Elizabeth Cady Stanton.
(d) Ida B. Wells.
14. What did Ida B. Wells claim "should have a place of honor in every home"?
(a) Freedom papers.
(b) A Winchester rifle.
(c) The man of the household.
(d) A deed to the home.
15. In 1913, what group organized a march in Washington, D.C. for the day before Woodrow Wilson's inauguration?
(a) The BWLA.
(b) The NAACP.
(c) The NAWSA.
(d) The WOW.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ida B. Wells-Barnett claim robbed women of one of the most glorious advantages?
2. Who led the NCLU at its founding meeting in Washington, D.C. in 1869?
3. How many Whites were shot on the Saturday night raid on the local Black grocery?
4. Whom did Anna Julia Cooper state was the "finest woman I have ever known"?
5. In 1874, what was the most formidable women's organization in Britain?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)