|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Dr. Cesare Lombroso publish in 1876?
(a) "Adaptations of the Post-Slave."
(b) "Criminal Man."
(c) "Wickedness of the Black."
(d) "Science of the Negro."
2. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
(a) Whip them.
(b) Starve them.
(c) Have intercourse with them.
(d) Hang them.
3. What nation's exhibit did Frederick Douglass preside over at the exposition of 1893?
(d) South Africa.
4. How many signatures did the Victoria Earle Mathew's Loyal Union collect in support of the Blair Amendment?
5. In 1895, who was the principal of the Tuskegee Institute?
(a) Booker T. Washington.
(b) Frederick Douglass.
(c) Andrew Carnegie.
(d) Terrance Williams.
6. In 1913, what group organized a march in Washington, D.C. for the day before Woodrow Wilson's inauguration?
(a) The BWLA.
(b) The NAWSA.
(c) The WOW.
(d) The NAACP.
7. What was the name of the woman that taught former slaves in the 1860's in the South Carolina Sea Islands?
(a) Laura Towne.
(b) Mary Wright.
(c) Martha Banks.
(d) Sara Brooks.
8. Who organized the Colored Women's Progressive Association in 1880?
(a) Sojourner Truth.
(b) Mary Ann Shadd Cary.
(c) Ida B. Wells.
(d) Mary Stanton.
9. To whom did Mary Church Terrell look to for help in her address to President Harrison?
(a) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(b) Federick Douglass.
(c) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(d) Marcus Garvey.
10. How old was Mary Church Terrell when she learned of the lynching of the grocer?
11. Where did Lucy C. Laney graduate from?
(a) Cornell University.
(b) Atlanta University.
(c) William and Mary.
12. In what year did the Fifteenth Amendment pass?
13. According to the text, what were Black women "especially adept" at doing to their masters?
(a) Escaping them.
(b) Burning fields.
(c) Poisoning them.
(d) Seducing them.
14. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name" what did Black women have to confront and redefine?
15. What novel spoke to the desire of slave women to become the mistress of their masters?
(a) "A Need for More."
(b) "Conditions of the Negro in America."
(c) "The Negro Family."
(d) "Desires of the American Slave."
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ida B. Wells-Barnett claim robbed women of one of the most glorious advantages?
2. Where was Mary Church Terrell living when she heard the news of the grocer's lynching?
3. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
4. How many Whites were shot on the Saturday night raid on the local Black grocery?
5. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)