|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1874, what was the most formidable women's organization in Britain?
(a) The WCTU.
(b) The FCWB.
(c) The ECWO.
(d) The NACB.
2. Who wrote "Voice of the South"?
(a) Anna Julia Cooper.
(b) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(c) Dawn South.
(d) Maria Strena Markerson.
3. Who wrote an editorial in the newspaper "Free Speech" that spoke of the lynching of the grocer?
(a) Mary Church Terrell.
(b) Ida B. Wells.
(c) Frederick Douglass.
(d) W.E.B. Du Bois.
4. In 1913, what group organized a march in Washington, D.C. for the day before Woodrow Wilson's inauguration?
(a) The NAWSA.
(b) The NAACP.
(c) The WOW.
(d) The BWLA.
5. Following the Civil War, why how did Black men "vindicate their manhood"?
(a) By declaring themselves head-of-household.
(b) By petitioning the government.
(c) By purchase of thier wives from the slave holder.
(d) By taking authority of women.
6. What did the text claim was so "rampant" in the South that thousands of Black women were compelled to leave the South?
(a) Sexual exploitation.
(b) Wife beatings.
7. Who led the NCLU at its founding meeting in Washington, D.C. in 1869?
(a) Isaac Meyers.
(b) Harriet Forten Remond.
(c) Robert Purvis.
(d) Charles Remond.
8. In 1830, who did Maria Stewart tell that it was their duty to cultivate a pure heart and thirst for knowledge in their children?
(a) Black men.
(b) Black and white mothers.
(d) Black mothers.
9. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
(a) White people.
(b) Black people.
(c) Black women.
(d) White women.
10. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name" what did Black women have to confront and redefine?
11. How many Black female lawyers were there coming into the 1880's?
12. What was the name of the largest Black sorority in 1908?
(a) Alpha Beta Kappa.
(b) Pi Beta Alpha.
(c) Kappa Delta Sigma.
(d) Alpha Kappa Alpha.
13. When did the first African men and women come to Virginia?
14. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
(a) It was cut by one fourth.
(b) It doubled.
(c) It tripled.
(d) It was cut in half.
15. Where did Lucy C. Laney graduate from?
(a) William and Mary.
(b) Atlanta University.
(c) Cornell University.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money did the CWL successfully lobby to establish kindergarten classes in 1898?
2. Who was the author of the first Black novel written in America?
3. To whom did Mary Church Terrell look to for help in her address to President Harrison?
4. What city did the lynching occur at the opening of the book?
5. What was the name of the first Black child born in America?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)