|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, in 1609, was sold to a group of Native Americans by Captain John Smith?
(a) Thomas Slavern.
(b) Frederick Glass.
(c) Scott Maze.
(d) Henry Spelman.
2. According to the chapter "Defending Our Name" what did Black women have to confront and redefine?
3. In what year did the Fifteenth Amendment pass?
4. Who became dean of Howard University, was a founding member of the NAACP, and opposed women's suffrage?
(a) Eric Mend.
(b) Francis Maclomb.
(c) Kelly Miller.
(d) Thomas Mandler.
5. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
(a) It was cut by one fourth.
(b) It was cut in half.
(c) It doubled.
(d) It tripled.
6. What did the chapter, "To Be A Woman Sublime" state to be a watershed in the history of Black women?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The organization of the AAWO.
(c) The organization of th YWCA.
(d) The organization of the NACW.
7. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
(a) White women.
(b) Black women.
(c) White people.
(d) Black people.
8. In what year was Darwin's "Origin of Species" published?
9. What novel spoke to the desire of slave women to become the mistress of their masters?
(a) "A Need for More."
(b) "The Negro Family."
(c) "Desires of the American Slave."
(d) "Conditions of the Negro in America."
10. Who was lynched at the opening of the book?
(a) Shawn Morgan.
(b) Thomas Moss.
(c) Derrik Jones.
(d) Stewart Wells.
11. Who from Columbia University described the late nineteenth century as a time of "rapid expansion, desperate competition and peremptory rejection of failure"?
(a) Stephen Strenton.
(b) Micheal Miller.
(c) Orsen Walls.
(d) Richard Hofstadter.
12. In what city did Black washerwomen announce that they were going to charge a standard rate for their work? (1866)
13. What club was organized by Ida Wells-Barnett in 1913.
(a) The Illinois Women's Club.
(b) The Rights of Women in Illinois Club.
(c) The Alpha Suffrage Club.
(d) The Women's Suffrage Club.
14. Whom did the Fifteenth Amendment permit the right to vote to?
(a) Black men.
(b) White women.
(c) Black men and women.
(d) Black men and white women.
15. What city did the lynching occur at the opening of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1830, who did Maria Stewart tell that it was their duty to cultivate a pure heart and thirst for knowledge in their children?
2. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
3. Who wrote the poem "Deliverance"?
4. In 1895, who was the principal of the Tuskegee Institute?
5. In 1913, what group organized a march in Washington, D.C. for the day before Woodrow Wilson's inauguration?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)