Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year was Darwin's "Origin of Species" published?
2. According to an article in "The Independent," as referenced by the text in the chapter "Defending Our Name," what did White women prefer to happen to "keep their husbands straight"?
(a) That "their husbands do wrong with colored women."
(b) That "the bastard children of their husbands were killed."
(c) That "slaves were always on the verge of hostility."
(d) That "they find suitable White mistresses to ensure pure blood."
3. Who, according to a law passed by the House of Burgesses, had to give female slaves permission before they could marry?
(a) Their master.
(b) The local government.
(c) The slave-master of the premises.
(d) The federal government.
4. What, by order of the House of Burgesses, were masters of slaves able to do to their servants?
(a) Whip them.
(b) Have intercourse with them.
(c) Starve them.
(d) Hang them.
5. What punishment did Maria receive for attempting to burn down her master's home in Massachusetts?
(a) Sale to a tobacco farm.
(c) Burned at the stake.
6. According to Virginia law, if a Christian was found to "commit fornication" with a Negro man or woman, how would his fines multiply?
(a) By six.
(b) By four.
(c) By three.
(d) By two.
7. Who, at an 1869 convention, spoke in support of the Fifteenth Amendment?
(a) Donna Mary Banks.
(b) W.E.B. Du Bois.
(c) Mattie Griffith.
(d) Frances Ellen Harper.
8. What city did the lynching occur at the opening of the book?
9. What happened to the Gross National Product between 1869 and 1899?
(a) It was cut in half.
(b) It tripled.
(c) It doubled.
(d) It was cut by one fourth.
10. In 1913, what group organized a march in Washington, D.C. for the day before Woodrow Wilson's inauguration?
(a) The NAACP.
(b) The NAWSA.
(c) The BWLA.
(d) The WOW.
11. What exposition in 1893 presented Black women with the opportunity to address the redefining of the criteria of true womanhood?
(a) The American Liberal Exposition.
(b) The Southern Rights Exposition.
(c) The Black Rights Exposition.
(d) The World Colombian Exposition.
12. Who organized the Colored Women's Progressive Association in 1880?
(a) Sojourner Truth.
(b) Mary Ann Shadd Cary.
(c) Ida B. Wells.
(d) Mary Stanton.
13. Who were servant women sold to if they were found guilty of bearing a child of her master's in Virginia?
(a) Another slave holder outside of Virginia.
(b) The local prison authorities.
(c) The local governing male.
(d) The church.
14. How many Black women were registered to vote in New York, where their vote successfully brought about the delegation of Gertrude Curtis and Laura Fisher to the Republican Convention?
15. Where did Lucy C. Laney graduate from?
(a) William and Mary.
(b) Atlanta University.
(d) Cornell University.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city did Black washerwomen announce that they were going to charge a standard rate for their work? (1866)
2. In 1915, how many state and local branches did the Black Chamber of Commerce have?
3. Who, according to the chapter "To be a Woman Sublime," was the wealthiest and best educated Black woman of the time?
4. Who, according to W.E.B. Du Bois, could you not bribe?
5. Following the Civil War, why how did Black men "vindicate their manhood"?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)