|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Steven get the phrase "Foxy Lady" for the portrait he gives to Sheba?
2. What does Sheba first notice about Steven's mother's kitchen?
3. In what way does Barbara tell Sheba she has suffered as well in Chapter 16?
4. Where do Barbara and Sheba go for Easter?
5. What does Sheba tell Barbara about Steven after the fireworks on Guy Fawkes Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Barbara makes plans for Sheba and herself to stay at Sheba's mother's home, Barbara expresses some concern that Sheba may not allow her to travel with her. Barbara, however, tells herself that Sheba 'needs' her. Why does Barbara think Sheba needs her? What does this tell you about Barbara's character?
2. Why is Barbara so terrified to tell Sheba the truth about her conversation with Bangs, and what does she tell her instead?
3. Why is Barbara depressed at the beginning of Chapter 13?
4. What advice does Barbara give to Sheba when Sheba is hysterical over being called into Pabblem's office at the beginning of Chapter 15? Why does she give this advice?
5. Why does Barbara not tell Sheba that Sue is spreading rumors about the two of them?
6. Why is Barbara angry when she leaves the fireworks?
7. Why, do you think, is Barbara's manuscript such a shock for Sheba?
8. Describe the incident at the restaurant on the way home from picking Polly up from Brighton.
9. Why are Sheba's remarks about Richard's feelings towards Barbara so hurtful?
10. Describe Barbara's physical condition in the beginning of Chapter 14. Why is her health suffering in this way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does revenge play in "Notes on a Scandal"? Consider the different characters in the novel. Who is acting out of revenge, and for what?
Essay Topic 2
Barbara seems to view Steven as an antagonist in her manuscript. Do you believe her depiction of Steven Connelly is accurate? What is her motivation for painting his character the way she does? What evidence does she cite to support her claims against him?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Barbara's view of Steven and Sheba's affair with the media's view (as portrayed by Barbara). How do they view the affair differently? On whom do they each lay the blame?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)