|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheba do immediately after her fight with Barbara over the manuscript?
2. Where does Barbara travel to during the summer?
3. Why does Barbara assume that Sheba will have to take her wherever she goes?
4. Who comes over to Sheba's home for dinner for Guy Fawkes Day?
5. What does Barbara bring Sheba in Chapter 9 to help her fill her time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson does Sheba relate to Barbara that she learned from her mother about parenting?
2. Why does Barbara not tell Sheba that Sue is spreading rumors about the two of them?
3. What does Polly's guidance counselor say is the cause of her behavior, and how does Barbara feel about that diagnosis?
4. What advice does Barbara give to Sheba when Sheba is hysterical over being called into Pabblem's office at the beginning of Chapter 15? Why does she give this advice?
5. Why is Barbara so upset with Sheba at the end of Chapter 12 when Sheba leaves to go see Steven?
6. What is the significance for Barbara of seeing Sheba and Steven at the fireworks talking to each other?
7. Sheba locks herself in her room for forty-eight hours after finding Barbara's manuscript. Why do you think Sheba feels so betrayed?
8. After Barbara makes plans for Sheba and herself to stay at Sheba's mother's home, Barbara expresses some concern that Sheba may not allow her to travel with her. Barbara, however, tells herself that Sheba 'needs' her. Why does Barbara think Sheba needs her? What does this tell you about Barbara's character?
9. Why are Sheba's remarks about Richard's feelings towards Barbara so hurtful?
10. Why, do you think, is Barbara's manuscript such a shock for Sheba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does revenge play in "Notes on a Scandal"? Consider the different characters in the novel. Who is acting out of revenge, and for what?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, Barbara compares her relationship with Sheba to a marriage. In a detailed essay, analyze the reasons why Barbara feels this way. How is their relationship similar to a marriage? In what ways do Sheba and Barbara interact as spouses do?
Essay Topic 3
What impact does the media have on Sheba and her family in "Notes on a Scandal?" Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,031 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)