|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their conversation about his behavior with Jackie, what does Steven do?
2. Where does Richard insist that Sheba spend her visits with Ben?
3. Why does Sheba refuse to plead guilty in court?
4. How long have Barbara and Sheba known each other at the end of the foreword?
5. What is Steven serving detention for in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sheba thank Barbara at the end of Chapter 3?
2. What shocking news does Sheba call Barbara with in Chapter 8, and why is Sheba so upset by this?
3. Describe Barbara's overall mood throughout Chapter 4.
4. In Chapter 6, why does Barbara give the last Friday in March a gold star?
5. What problems does Sheba associate with having married Richard so young?
6. Why does Barbara state that she is telling Sheba's story?
7. According to Barbara, what sort of students attend St. George's?
8. What does Steven do in Homework Club that is upsetting to Sheba?
9. Why does Barbara think Sheba is first interested in getting Steven into her pottery class?
10. What does Steven's note to Sheba say, and what are her thoughts about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the family unit play in "Notes on a Scandal?" What impact do "traditional family values" have on the central characters?
Essay Topic 2
Barbara seems to view Steven as an antagonist in her manuscript. Do you believe her depiction of Steven Connelly is accurate? What is her motivation for painting his character the way she does? What evidence does she cite to support her claims against him?
Essay Topic 3
Whose story is "Notes on a Scandal?" Is it Sheba's, or Barbara's? Use details from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)