|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sheba feel about the gift left for her in Chapter 2?
2. What gift does Sheba find in her mailbox in Chapter 2?
3. How long have Barbara and Sheba known each other at the end of the foreword?
4. When Sheba encounters Steven after school in Chapter 4, what does he tell her?
5. What does Sheba initially tell Barbara about Steven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Barbara so disgusted when Sheba befriends Sue Hodge?
2. Why do Steven and Sheba seem to have such a difficult time figuring out places to meet?
3. Why do the women teachers at St. George's begin to think that Sheba is "stuck up?"
4. Compare and contrast Barbara's view of the affair in Chapter 7 with Sheba's view.
5. Why does Pabblem wish to see Barbara at the beginning of Chapter 4?
6. When Sheba describes her first physical encounter with Steven, how does she describe his scent to Barbara?
7. Why is Barbara so irritated when Sheba acts as though she were a victim in the situation?
8. Describe Barbara's preparations for dinner at Sheba's. How is Barbara feeling? What does she do to prepare?
9. What problems does Sheba associate with having married Richard so young?
10. Why is Barbara concerned about the living situation that she and Sheba have at the beginning of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barbara seems to view Steven as an antagonist in her manuscript. Do you believe her depiction of Steven Connelly is accurate? What is her motivation for painting his character the way she does? What evidence does she cite to support her claims against him?
Essay Topic 2
What impact does the media have on Sheba and her family in "Notes on a Scandal?" Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Examine and analyze loneliness as a theme and motivating factor in "Notes on a Scandal."
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)