|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Sheba's family does Barbara thinks provokes jealousy in Sheba?
(a) The attention Ben receives.
(b) Ben's love for Barbara.
(c) Polly's youth and beauty.
(d) Richard's love of his children.
2. Why does Pabblem want to see Sheba in Chapter 15?
(a) He wants Sheba to teach an additional class.
(b) He believes Steven might hurt Sheba.
(c) He has information about inappropriate conduct between Sheba and a student.
(d) He thinks Sheba and Barbara are having an affair.
3. With whom does Barbara spend Guy Fawkes Day?
(a) Her sister.
(d) Sheba's family.
4. What does Sheba tell Barbara about Steven after the fireworks on Guy Fawkes Night?
(a) Steven has been stalking her.
(b) He wants to marry her.
(c) They are having an affair.
(d) Steven is quitting school.
5. What does Sheba first accuse Barbara of doing when she finds the manuscript?
(a) Telling Steven to leave Sheba.
(b) Secretly hiding Steven's letters from Sheba.
(c) Telling Bangs about the affair.
(d) Telling Richard about Steven's love for Sheba.
Short Answer Questions
1. What insult does Sheba throw at Barbara at the end of Chapter 16?
2. In Chapter 14, what reason does Sheba's mother give to Sheba for Polly running away?
3. Who comes over to Sheba's home for dinner for Guy Fawkes Day?
4. What tragedy does Barbara have to face at the end of Chapter 13?
5. Why does Barbara panic when Sheba tells her that Eddie and his family are returning from India soon?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Barbara believe her relationship to Sheba is similar to a marriage?
2. What lesson does Sheba relate to Barbara that she learned from her mother about parenting?
3. Why does Barbara not tell Sheba that Sue is spreading rumors about the two of them?
4. Why, do you think, is Barbara's manuscript such a shock for Sheba?
5. Why does Barbara feel that she cannot yet truly count on Sheba as a friend in Chapter 10?
6. Why is Barbara depressed at the beginning of Chapter 13?
7. Describe Marjorie and Dave's attitudes towards Sheba.
8. What does Polly's guidance counselor say is the cause of her behavior, and how does Barbara feel about that diagnosis?
9. Why is Barbara so terrified to tell Sheba the truth about her conversation with Bangs, and what does she tell her instead?
10. After Barbara makes plans for Sheba and herself to stay at Sheba's mother's home, Barbara expresses some concern that Sheba may not allow her to travel with her. Barbara, however, tells herself that Sheba 'needs' her. Why does Barbara think Sheba needs her? What does this tell you about Barbara's character?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)