|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the guidance counselor tell Richard and Sheba about Polly's behavior?
(a) It is caused by her anger at Ben.
(b) Polly is too intelligent for regular school.
(c) It is caused by a lack of self-esteem.
(d) She is hopeless and should be locked up.
2. What does Barbara bring Sheba in Chapter 9 to help her fill her time?
3. How does Sheba justify Steven's moodiness when she goes to his house?
(a) He has missed her over the break.
(b) He is a teenager.
(c) He is not feeling well.
(d) He is worried about someone finding out about the affair.
4. Where does Mrs. Taylor say she is going in Chapter 17?
5. What excuse does Steven give his parents for leaving Maldon early?
(a) He was not feeling well.
(b) His friend was sick.
(c) He had forgotten his books at home.
(d) He had a soccer match.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbara tell Sheba initially about her conversation with Bangs?
2. What is wrong with Barbara's cat Portia in Chapter 13?
3. What name does Sheba reveal that Richard called Barbara in private?
4. Why does Barbara assume that Sheba will have to take her wherever she goes?
5. Why does Sheba not break off the relationship in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Barbara not tell Sheba that Sue is spreading rumors about the two of them?
2. Why does Barbara feel that she cannot yet truly count on Sheba as a friend in Chapter 10?
3. Why is Barbara so terrified to tell Sheba the truth about her conversation with Bangs, and what does she tell her instead?
4. Why, do you think, is Barbara's manuscript such a shock for Sheba?
5. Why is Barbara so excited about going to lunch with Bangs?
6. Describe the mood when Sheba goes to Steven's house.
7. What advice does Barbara give to Sheba when Sheba is hysterical over being called into Pabblem's office at the beginning of Chapter 15? Why does she give this advice?
8. Why is Barbara angry when she leaves the fireworks?
9. Why is Barbara so upset with Sheba at the end of Chapter 12 when Sheba leaves to go see Steven?
10. Describe the confrontation between Sheba, Richard, and Mrs. Connelly in Chapter 15.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)