|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tragedy does Barbara have to face at the end of Chapter 13?
(a) Her mother dies.
(b) She has to put Portia to sleep.
(c) She must reveal her illness to Sheba.
(d) She must have surgery on her hip.
2. In Chapter 14, what reason does Sheba's mother give to Sheba for Polly running away?
(a) Polly is in love with Steven.
(b) Polly wants to be with her boyfriend.
(c) Polly suspects Sheba of having an affair.
(d) Polly hates Barbara.
3. What does Sheba first accuse Barbara of doing when she finds the manuscript?
(a) Telling Steven to leave Sheba.
(b) Telling Richard about Steven's love for Sheba.
(c) Secretly hiding Steven's letters from Sheba.
(d) Telling Bangs about the affair.
4. Why does Sheba have to go to Scotland in Chapter 14?
(a) Steven has gone to stay there.
(b) Barbara has to visit family there and wants Sheba to come.
(c) Polly ran away to her grandmother's house.
(d) Richard is ill and has been hospitalized there.
5. With whom does Barbara spend Guy Fawkes Day?
(a) Her sister.
(d) Sheba's family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Sheba irritated with Steven at the end of Chapter 10?
2. What insult does Sheba throw at Barbara at the end of Chapter 16?
3. What name does Sheba reveal that Richard called Barbara in private?
4. Why does Barbara think that Pabblem is calling her into his office in Chapter 15?
5. What is Polly accused of doing at boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, do you think, is Barbara's manuscript such a shock for Sheba?
2. Why is Barbara angry when she leaves the fireworks?
3. Why is Barbara so excited about going to lunch with Bangs?
4. Why are Sheba's remarks about Richard's feelings towards Barbara so hurtful?
5. What lesson does Sheba relate to Barbara that she learned from her mother about parenting?
6. Why is Barbara so upset with Sheba at the end of Chapter 12 when Sheba leaves to go see Steven?
7. Why is Barbara so terrified to tell Sheba the truth about her conversation with Bangs, and what does she tell her instead?
8. Why does Barbara not tell Sheba that Sue is spreading rumors about the two of them?
9. Describe Barbara's physical condition in the beginning of Chapter 14. Why is her health suffering in this way?
10. What advice does Barbara give to Sheba when Sheba is hysterical over being called into Pabblem's office at the beginning of Chapter 15? Why does she give this advice?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)