|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barbara point out as being ironic at the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) Sheba's involvement with a minor when Barbara was so concerned about Sheba's friendship with Sue.
(b) Steven's interest in pottery because Sheba was a pottery teacher.
(c) Steven's relationship with a student while Sheba was pursuing him.
(d) Barbara's affair with Sheba when Sheba was actually pursuing Steven.
2. Why does Sheba refuse to plead guilty in court?
(a) She did not have an affair.
(b) She is hoping that the charges will be dropped.
(c) She did not kill anyone.
(d) She does not feel that she has done anything indecent.
3. Why is Sheba so upset when she goes to see Ben in Chapter 8?
(a) Richard is requiring Sheba to have a chaperone when she visits Ben.
(b) Richard will not let Sheba see Ben.
(c) Ben has run away from home again.
(d) Ben is very sick.
4. What does Barbara tell Sheba to do about the Steven situation?
(a) Tell the headmaster.
(b) Call Steven's mother.
(c) Tell Richard.
(d) Get another job.
5. How do Barbara and Sheba know each other?
(a) Barbara was Sheba's math instructor.
(b) They were both teachers together.
(c) Barbara moved in next door to Sheba.
(d) They worked at the same law firm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheba convince Steven to eat for the first time at the Indian restaurant?
2. For what does Sheba actually seem to feel remorse, as told by Barbara in the foreword?
3. Who joins Sheba and Richard for Christmas?
4. Who is the narrator of the story?
5. What do Marjorie and Dave do on Christmas Day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Steven's note to Sheba say, and what are her thoughts about it?
2. When Sheba describes her first physical encounter with Steven, how does she describe his scent to Barbara?
3. What changes seem to come over Sheba when she ignores Steven for a week in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Barbara so disgusted when Sheba befriends Sue Hodge?
5. What reason does Barbara suspect Richard has for wanting Sheba to visit Ben at the Beckwiths' home?
6. Why does Barbara think Sheba is first interested in getting Steven into her pottery class?
7. Why do the women teachers at St. George's begin to think that Sheba is "stuck up?"
8. How does Sheba convince herself that she is innocent in the beginning of the affair?
9. Why is Barbara concerned about the living situation that she and Sheba have at the beginning of the book?
10. Describe Barbara's overall mood throughout Chapter 4.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)