|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) Barbara Covett.
(b) Sheba Hart.
(c) Sue Hodges.
(d) Steven Connolly.
2. Why does Sheba thank Barbara at the end of Chapter 3?
(a) Barbara gave Sheba a ride home.
(b) Barbara gave Steven a note for Sheba.
(c) Barbara stepped in and helped Sheba deal with a discipline problem.
(d) Barbara talked to Pabblem about Steven's interest in Sheba.
3. What affect does Sheba claim the affair is having on her marriage to Richard?
(a) Richard has been jealous.
(b) Richard is suspicious.
(c) She is angry that he isn't younger.
(d) It is making her more affectionate towards him.
4. What excuse does Barbara give for not finishing Pabblem's report?
(a) She forgot her notes at school.
(b) A family problem.
(c) Her cat's death.
(d) Her car broke down.
5. Why does Sheba cry when teaching her class?
(a) A student points out her sheer skirt.
(b) A female student spits in her face.
(c) Steven calls her ugly.
(d) The electricity goes out.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Sheba ignores him, what does Steven's note to her say?
2. What aspect of their relationship, according to Barbara, especially fascinated the press?
3. Why is Barbara angry later after looking back on Sheba's initial confession?
4. Where does Sheba tell Richard she is going when she leaves to see Steven in Chapter 5?
5. Why is Polly not participating in Sheba and Ben's visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Barbara concerned about the living situation that she and Sheba have at the beginning of the book?
2. What does Steven's note to Sheba say, and what are her thoughts about it?
3. In Chapter 6, why does Barbara give the last Friday in March a gold star?
4. Why does Barbara state that she is telling Sheba's story?
5. Describe Sheba's first few weeks at St. George's. How does she interact with the students, and what sort of teacher does she appear to be?
6. What happens when Sheba is shopping on Oxford Street in Chapter 7? Why is this significant?
7. According to Barbara, what sort of students attend St. George's?
8. What does Sheba first think of Steven when he comes to see her with his sketchbooks?
9. When Barbara interviews Megan, what does this tell you about her growing place and influence in Sheba's life?
10. Are Sheba and Steven enjoying the 'dangerous' aspect of their affair? Do you believe that they are enjoying the possibility of being caught?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)