|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Steven tell Sheba about her voice?
(a) Her voice is too scratchy for him to understand.
(b) She should be on television.
(c) She should have her voice box removed.
(d) She should sing an opera.
2. Why do Sheba and Steven have problems meeting outside in early April?
(a) It was too cold.
(b) Sheba was too busy.
(c) Steven lost all interest.
(d) Barbara would catch them.
3. Why does Richard say he is concerned with Sheba taking Ben for visits?
(a) She forgot to visit Ben when she said she would.
(b) She was late picking Ben up.
(c) She took him for tea and did not tell anyone where she was going.
(d) She told Ben lies about Richard.
4. What do Marjorie and Dave do on Christmas Day?
(a) Visit Barbara's mother.
(b) Go to the seaside.
(c) Attend a concert in Scotland.
(d) Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
5. Where do Sheba and Steven begin their physical relationship?
(a) At Steven's house, on the floor beside the bed.
(b) At Barbara's house, on her porch.
(c) At school, in the courtyard under the oak tree.
(d) In her pottery studio, behind the kiln.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Sheba and Richard for Christmas?
2. Why is Sheba frustrated with Richard's reaction when she returns home from visiting Steven the first time?
3. What is Steven serving detention for in Chapter 3?
4. What is Steven's father interested in?
5. Why is Barbara angry later after looking back on Sheba's initial confession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Barbara suspect Richard has for wanting Sheba to visit Ben at the Beckwiths' home?
2. What happens when Sheba is shopping on Oxford Street in Chapter 7? Why is this significant?
3. Compare and contrast Barbara's view of the affair in Chapter 7 with Sheba's view.
4. Describe Barbara's preparations for dinner at Sheba's. How is Barbara feeling? What does she do to prepare?
5. Why is Barbara so irritated when Sheba acts as though she were a victim in the situation?
6. What does Sheba first think of Steven when he comes to see her with his sketchbooks?
7. According to Barbara, what sort of students attend St. George's?
8. Why does Barbara think Sheba is first interested in getting Steven into her pottery class?
9. Describe Sheba's first few weeks at St. George's. How does she interact with the students, and what sort of teacher does she appear to be?
10. Why do the women teachers at St. George's begin to think that Sheba is "stuck up?"
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)