|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Barbara find in Sheba's purse?
(a) Ticket stubs from a movie Sheba and Steven went to see.
(b) Photographs of Sheba and Steven.
(c) Steven's phone number.
(d) A letter from Steven.
2. Why does Sheba have to go to Scotland in Chapter 14?
(a) Barbara has to visit family there and wants Sheba to come.
(b) Steven has gone to stay there.
(c) Polly ran away to her grandmother's house.
(d) Richard is ill and has been hospitalized there.
3. What name does Sheba reveal that Richard called Barbara in private?
4. What does Sheba's mother say about being with her children once her husband died?
(a) It is lonely.
(b) It is easier than ever.
(c) It is frightening.
(d) It is awkward and difficult.
5. Why is Sheba crying when Barbara returns from the market in Chapter 16?
(a) Sheba has just heard from Steven.
(b) Barbara's cat has died.
(c) Sheba has found Barbara's manuscript.
(d) Eddie is going to throw Barbara and Sheba out of the house.
6. Where does Sheba tell her family she is going when she leaves to meet Steven in Chapter 10?
(a) She is going shopping at the West End.
(b) She is going to visit Barbara.
(c) She is going to the cafe to grab some coffee.
(d) She is going to the library to pick up some art books.
7. Why does Barbara feel guilty at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) She stayed home from school to spend time with Sheba.
(b) She told the school's headmaster about Sheba.
(c) She spoke to Bangs about Sheba and Steven.
(d) She canceled plans with Sheba and Richard.
8. Why is Richard angry when Sheba returns from Steven's at the end of Chapter 14?
(a) He did not know where she was or when she would return.
(b) She took Richard's car without permission.
(c) She was with Barbara.
(d) He knew she was at Steven's.
9. What does Sheba create a sculpture of?
(a) A small puppy.
(b) A castle on the coast.
(c) Barbara's profile.
(d) A mother and child.
10. What does Sheba do immediately after her fight with Barbara over the manuscript?
(a) She calls her mother.
(b) She leaves to go back to Richard's.
(c) She locks herself in her room.
(d) She begs Steven to come back to her.
11. What does Barbara tell Bangs about Sheba back at his flat?
(a) Sheba is in love with Bangs.
(b) Sheba is having an affair with Barbara.
(c) Sheba is leaving school for another position.
(d) Sheba has an unusually close relationship with a male student.
12. Where do Barbara and Sheba go for Easter?
(a) To Richard's house.
(b) To visit Eddie and his family in India.
(c) To the United States to visit Barbara's cousin.
(d) To visit Barbara's sister on the seaside.
13. Who does Barbara see Sheba talking to at the fireworks?
14. What does Barbara's first instinct tell her to do when she learns of the affair?
(a) Tell Steven's parents.
(b) Quit her job.
(c) Tell Pabblem immediately.
(d) Talk to Richard.
15. Why does Mrs. Connolly come to Sheba and Richard's home?
(a) Mrs. Connolly would like to thank Sheba for helping Steven with his work.
(b) Mrs. Connolly thinks that Barbara is abusing Steven.
(c) Steven needs help with his homework.
(d) Mrs. Connolly received a call from school and Steven confessed everything.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sheba leave Barbara after Barbara tells her about Portia?
2. Why is Sheba hysterical in her voice message to Barbara at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. Why is Sheba irritated with Steven at the end of Chapter 10?
4. Why does Barbara think that Pabblem is calling her into his office in Chapter 15?
5. What is wrong with Barbara's cat Portia in Chapter 13?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)