|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bangs admit to wanting to see Barbara?
(a) He wants help on his lesson plans from Barbara.
(b) He has feelings for Sheba and wants to discuss them with Barbara.
(c) He has a crush on Barbara.
(d) He suspects Sheba is having an affair with Steven.
2. Where does Barbara travel to during the summer?
3. What does the guidance counselor tell Richard and Sheba about Polly's behavior?
(a) It is caused by her anger at Ben.
(b) It is caused by a lack of self-esteem.
(c) She is hopeless and should be locked up.
(d) Polly is too intelligent for regular school.
4. What rumor does Barbara think that Sue is spreading at the beginning of Chapter 10?
(a) Barbara and Sheba are having an affair.
(b) Steven and Sheba are having an affair.
(c) Sheba and Bangs are having an affair.
(d) Barbara and Bangs are having an affair.
5. Where does Mrs. Taylor say she is going in Chapter 17?
6. What does Barbara tell Sheba initially about her conversation with Bangs?
(a) Bangs is in love with Sheba.
(b) Barbara told Bangs about Sheba and Steven's relationship.
(c) Barbara suspects that Bangs knows about Sheba and Steven's relationship.
(d) Barbara has fallen in love with Bangs.
7. What does Sheba create a sculpture of?
(a) A small puppy.
(b) A castle on the coast.
(c) Barbara's profile.
(d) A mother and child.
8. With whom does Barbara spend Guy Fawkes Day?
(a) Her sister.
(d) Sheba's family.
9. What does Barbara ask Mrs. Taylor after Mrs. Taylor tells her she is leaving?
(a) Barbara asks to stay in Mrs. Taylor's house.
(b) Barbara asks Mrs. Taylor to take Sheba with her.
(c) Barbara asks Mrs. Taylor to come to visit Sheba instead.
(d) Barbara asks Mrs. Taylor to check in on Richard.
10. Why does Sheba have to go to Scotland in Chapter 14?
(a) Polly ran away to her grandmother's house.
(b) Steven has gone to stay there.
(c) Richard is ill and has been hospitalized there.
(d) Barbara has to visit family there and wants Sheba to come.
11. What does Barbara tell Bangs about Sheba back at his flat?
(a) Sheba is leaving school for another position.
(b) Sheba is having an affair with Barbara.
(c) Sheba is in love with Bangs.
(d) Sheba has an unusually close relationship with a male student.
12. What does Barbara believe is causing Polly's behavior?
(a) Her ugliness.
(b) Her anger at her father.
(c) Her resentment of Ben.
(d) Her character.
13. Why does Barbara think that Pabblem is calling her into his office in Chapter 15?
(a) To discuss Steven's academic record.
(b) To speak about the Ireland trip.
(c) To restructure the math deparment.
(d) To talk about Sheba's teaching.
14. What does Pabblem tell Barbara to do at the end of Chapter 15?
(a) She should consider retiring.
(b) She should visit with Bangs and make sure he is all right.
(c) She should tutor Steven to make sure he graduates.
(d) She should go take care of Sheba.
15. How does Barbara injure her hip?
(a) She hits it against Sheba's pottery wheel.
(b) She is hit by a car outside of Sheba's house.
(c) She is kicked in the hip by Steven.
(d) She falls down Sheba's steps.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Steven give his parents for leaving Maldon early?
2. Where do Barbara and Sheba go for Easter?
3. Why does Barbara panic when Sheba tells her that Eddie and his family are returning from India soon?
4. Why does Sheba not break off the relationship in Chapter 10?
5. What does Sheba tell Barbara about Steven after the fireworks on Guy Fawkes Night?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)