|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheba tell Barbara that her shared interest with Steven is?
(d) The two of them.
2. How does Barbara injure her hip?
(a) She is hit by a car outside of Sheba's house.
(b) She is kicked in the hip by Steven.
(c) She falls down Sheba's steps.
(d) She hits it against Sheba's pottery wheel.
3. Why does Barbara think that Pabblem is calling her into his office in Chapter 15?
(a) To talk about Sheba's teaching.
(b) To restructure the math deparment.
(c) To speak about the Ireland trip.
(d) To discuss Steven's academic record.
4. Why is Sheba crying when Barbara returns from the market in Chapter 16?
(a) Sheba has just heard from Steven.
(b) Barbara's cat has died.
(c) Eddie is going to throw Barbara and Sheba out of the house.
(d) Sheba has found Barbara's manuscript.
5. What does Sheba's mother say about being with her children once her husband died?
(a) It is easier than ever.
(b) It is frightening.
(c) It is lonely.
(d) It is awkward and difficult.
6. What insult does Sheba throw at Barbara at the end of Chapter 16?
(a) It is Barbara's fault they are in such a bind.
(b) Steven always hated Barbara.
(c) Barbara isn't fit to shine Richard's shoes.
(d) Barbara was a horrible teacher.
7. What excuse does Steven give his parents for leaving Maldon early?
(a) His friend was sick.
(b) He had forgotten his books at home.
(c) He had a soccer match.
(d) He was not feeling well.
8. What does Sheba first accuse Barbara of doing when she finds the manuscript?
(a) Telling Bangs about the affair.
(b) Secretly hiding Steven's letters from Sheba.
(c) Telling Richard about Steven's love for Sheba.
(d) Telling Steven to leave Sheba.
9. In Chapter 14, what reason does Sheba's mother give to Sheba for Polly running away?
(a) Polly hates Barbara.
(b) Polly wants to be with her boyfriend.
(c) Polly suspects Sheba of having an affair.
(d) Polly is in love with Steven.
10. Who comes over to Sheba's home for dinner for Guy Fawkes Day?
(a) Eddie and his family.
(b) Steven's family.
(c) Bangs and his girlfriend.
(d) Richard's ex-wife and their daughters.
11. Why does Bangs admit to wanting to see Barbara?
(a) He suspects Sheba is having an affair with Steven.
(b) He has feelings for Sheba and wants to discuss them with Barbara.
(c) He wants help on his lesson plans from Barbara.
(d) He has a crush on Barbara.
12. Why is Barbara concerned that Sheba may not be able to travel far?
(a) Sheba cannot leave Steven.
(b) Sheba has been seriously ill.
(c) Richard may not let Sheba go.
(d) The terms of Sheba's bail may not allow it.
13. Where does Richard want to purchase real estate?
(a) The Northern Circle.
(b) The Southern Valley.
(c) The East End.
(d) The West Side.
14. In what way does Barbara tell Sheba she has suffered as well in Chapter 16?
(a) Barbara feels guilty because of Richard.
(b) Barbara lost her job because of Sheba.
(c) Barbara lost her chance with Steven.
(d) Barbara lost her money taking care of Sheba.
15. What does Barbara tell Bangs about Sheba back at his flat?
(a) Sheba has an unusually close relationship with a male student.
(b) Sheba is having an affair with Barbara.
(c) Sheba is in love with Bangs.
(d) Sheba is leaving school for another position.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news do Richard and Sheba get from Polly's boarding school?
2. Why is Sheba hysterical in her voice message to Barbara at the beginning of Chapter 15?
3. Where does Steven get the phrase "Foxy Lady" for the portrait he gives to Sheba?
4. Where does Sheba tell her family she is going when she leaves to meet Steven in Chapter 10?
5. What does Sheba do when she returns home from picking up Polly at Brighton?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)