|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way does Barbara tell Sheba she has suffered as well in Chapter 16?
(a) Barbara feels guilty because of Richard.
(b) Barbara lost her job because of Sheba.
(c) Barbara lost her money taking care of Sheba.
(d) Barbara lost her chance with Steven.
2. What does Barbara do in Chapter 12 that creeps Sheba out?
(a) She calls Steven.
(b) She rubs Sheba's arm.
(c) She tries to kiss Sheba.
(d) She admits her crush on Bangs.
3. Why is Sheba irritated with Steven at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) He left without saying goodbye.
(b) He said something nasty about Barbara.
(c) He told his father about the affair.
(d) He said something vulgar to her.
4. Who comes over to Sheba's home for dinner for Guy Fawkes Day?
(a) Bangs and his girlfriend.
(b) Eddie and his family.
(c) Steven's family.
(d) Richard's ex-wife and their daughters.
5. What is wrong with Barbara's cat Portia in Chapter 13?
(a) She is very ill.
(b) She ran away.
(c) She broke her leg.
(d) She was stolen.
6. What does Sheba tell Barbara that her shared interest with Steven is?
(b) The two of them.
7. Why does Barbara consider calling Richard at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Barbara wants to check on Sheba's children.
(b) Barbara wonders if Richard has any news about Steven.
(c) Barbara misses Richard's company.
(d) Sheba is very upset.
8. What part of Sheba's family does Barbara thinks provokes jealousy in Sheba?
(a) Ben's love for Barbara.
(b) Richard's love of his children.
(c) Polly's youth and beauty.
(d) The attention Ben receives.
9. With whom does Barbara spend Guy Fawkes Day?
(b) Her sister.
(c) Sheba's family.
10. Why does Bangs admit to wanting to see Barbara?
(a) He wants help on his lesson plans from Barbara.
(b) He has a crush on Barbara.
(c) He suspects Sheba is having an affair with Steven.
(d) He has feelings for Sheba and wants to discuss them with Barbara.
11. Why is Barbara disappointed over the summer months?
(a) Six weeks go by before Sheba contacts her.
(b) She has not heard from Bangs all summer.
(c) Barbara's mother cannot visit over the summer.
(d) Her summer school assignment is canceled.
12. What does Sheba do when she returns home from picking up Polly at Brighton?
(a) She hits Polly.
(b) She cries in her room.
(c) She goes to Barbara's house.
(d) She pages Steven.
13. Why does Barbara feel guilty at the beginning of Chapter 14?
(a) She stayed home from school to spend time with Sheba.
(b) She canceled plans with Sheba and Richard.
(c) She spoke to Bangs about Sheba and Steven.
(d) She told the school's headmaster about Sheba.
14. Where does Mrs. Taylor say she is going in Chapter 17?
15. Why does Sheba have to go to Scotland in Chapter 14?
(a) Polly ran away to her grandmother's house.
(b) Steven has gone to stay there.
(c) Barbara has to visit family there and wants Sheba to come.
(d) Richard is ill and has been hospitalized there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Steven give his parents for leaving Maldon early?
2. What does Barbara bring Sheba in Chapter 9 to help her fill her time?
3. What name does Sheba reveal that Richard called Barbara in private?
4. Where do Barbara and Sheba go for Easter?
5. Why is Sheba so upset in December?
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)