|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Steven serving detention for in Chapter 3?
(d) Disrespect for a teacher.
2. Why is Barbara angry later after looking back on Sheba's initial confession?
(a) Sheba did not tell Richard the truth.
(b) Sheba had already confessed to Sue.
(c) Steven had already told Barbara everything.
(d) Sheba was not telling the whole truth to Barbara.
3. What reason does Sheba give Barbara for going to see Steven in Chapter 5?
(a) She wants to ask Steven to run away with her.
(b) She wants to tell Steven she loves him.
(c) She wants to make it clear to Steven that their relationship cannot continue.
(d) She wants to work with Steven on his art.
4. Instead of being seen as a pure villain, Barbara is concerned that Sheba is seen as what by the public?
(a) A mentally ill woman.
(b) A desperate spinster.
(c) An emotional cripple.
(d) A joke.
5. What does Steven tell Sheba about her voice?
(a) She should have her voice box removed.
(b) Her voice is too scratchy for him to understand.
(c) She should sing an opera.
(d) She should be on television.
6. What has Sheba been hired to teach at St. George's?
(a) Creative writing.
7. From where is Sheba getting her money now that she is no longer working?
(a) From the settlement from Richard's lawsuit.
(b) From Richard.
(c) The Taylor family trust.
(d) From her retirement.
8. Why is Sheba frustrated with Richard's reaction when she returns home from visiting Steven the first time?
(a) He is angry because Ben was up too late.
(b) He forgot to take out the trash.
(c) He does not seem to notice anything unusual.
(d) He and Barbara had an argument over where Sheba was that evening.
9. Who is the narrator of the story?
(a) Barbara Covett.
(b) Steven Connolly.
(c) Sheba Hart.
(d) Sue Hodges.
10. What is Steven's father interested in?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) The American Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) Classical opera.
11. What aspect of their relationship, according to Barbara, especially fascinated the press?
(a) Steven's other girlfriend.
(b) Their outside meetings.
(c) Sheba's continued relationship with Richard.
(d) Their meetings at Steven's home.
12. What happens between the two female students that Sheba is supervising in Chapter 2?
(a) They throw food at Sheba.
(b) They are caught smoking.
(c) They get into a fight.
(d) They sneak out of class.
13. Why does Sheba refuse to plead guilty in court?
(a) She does not feel that she has done anything indecent.
(b) She did not have an affair.
(c) She did not kill anyone.
(d) She is hoping that the charges will be dropped.
14. What item of clothing does Sheba desperately need in Chapter 8?
(a) A new coat.
(c) A new hat.
15. Why does the staff at St. George's think that Sheba is becoming a better teacher?
(a) She is running Homework Club and volunteering to tutor before school.
(b) She has become more friendly with Pabblem.
(c) Several of her students have won scholarships.
(d) She is dressing more conservatively and has better control over her students.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard's profession?
2. Why does Richard say he is concerned with Sheba taking Ben for visits?
3. How does Barbara first notice Sheba's beauty?
4. What does Sheba do to Steven when he comes to see her at her studio at the beginning of Chapter 5?
5. Who is waiting for Sheba outside after Homework Club in Chapter 4?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)