|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Patty try to break the ice with?
2. How does Jamie stop Van from going into the bedroom?
3. What is Patty's job at the grocer's?
4. What terrifies Jamie more than Van?
5. Where is the first thing Patty wants to know when she enters the trailer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Earl help Patty in Chapter 9?
2. How does Patty act on the drive home?
3. What does Jamie feel about ice skating?
4. How does Mrs. Desrochers respond to Patty's defensiveness?
5. How does Patty react when she sees Van's truck?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. Summarize Chapter 9.
8. How does Mrs. Desrochers support Jamie and his mother?
9. How does Earl teach Jamie how to ice skate?
10. How does Patty answer Jamie's question at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Patty's relationship with Earl? Why is Earl so willing to help Patty?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jamie's obsession with magic help him forget about his problems? How does Patty use Jamie's love of magic to control him?
Essay Topic 3
In what way does the author suggest Van is not the nasty person he seems at the beginning of the novel? How does this complicate the relationship he has had with Patty? What does this sat the way the author think about humans in general?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)