|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Earl say he has come to the trailer?
2. What does Jamie break in the car on the way back home from the restaurant?
3. What does Patty stop asking Jamie after Wednesday?
4. What does Patty tell Jamie to do?
5. What does Patty tell Earl she thought they might have to live in forever?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize Chapter 9.
2. Describe the argument between Patty and Jamie in this section?
3. How does Patty answer Jamie's question at the end of this section?
4. How does Patty react to Jamie breaking the car handle?
5. How does Jamie's success at the carnival effect his mood?
6. How does Jamie hide himself and Nin from Van?
7. How do Jamie and Patty spend the week?
8. What does Jamie remember about the waiter?
9. How does the novel end?
10. What does Jamie think of Van when he sees him again in the final chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Jamie's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Jamie hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Jamie's ideas about life?
3. How has Jamie's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
In what way does the author suggest Van is not the nasty person he seems at the beginning of the novel? How does this complicate the relationship he has had with Patty? What does this sat the way the author think about humans in general?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jamie's first reaction to seeing Van throw Nin across the room? How does Jamie's mother's reaction effect his own feelings about the incident?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)