|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jamie offer to help his mother in this section?
2. What does Patty tell Earl she thought they might have to live in forever?
3. Which of the following people sees Jamie and his mother duck behind the snowcone stand?
4. Where does Patty go every Tuesday?
5. Where do Earl and Jamie go skating?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Desrochers help Jamie with a Christmas present?
2. How do Jamie and Patty spend the week?
3. Why does Van leave?
4. What problems does Patty have at the beginning of Chapter 9?
5. In what is it a good thing that Patty and Jamie confronted each other in chapter six?
6. How does Jamie's success at the carnival effect his mood?
7. Why does Jamie step into the hallway in this chapter?
8. How does Patty act on the drive home?
9. How does Mrs. Desrochers respond to Patty's defensiveness?
10. How does Earl help Patty in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Jamie's fantasy about the bomb suggest about his situation in the story? How is his fantasy linked to the theme of dependency?
Essay Topic 2
What are Jamie's feelings for Van? Why does he feel sympathy for Van at the end of the book? What does his sympathy suggest about Van and his relationship with Patty?
Essay Topic 3
How does Patty react to Van's violence? In what way does her reaction create more problems for her and her children? How could she have dealt with the problem better?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)