|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jamie hide?
2. What did a waiter once show Jamie how to do?
3. What does Jamie think his mother is sending him back into by sending him back to school?
4. What does Jamie break in the car on the way back home from the restaurant?
5. Who does Patty say is long gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie show his anger in Chapter 7?
2. Describe the argument between Patty and Jamie in this section?
3. How does Jamie's success at the carnival effect his mood?
4. What does Jamie think of Van when he sees him again in the final chapter?
5. How does Jamie hide himself and Nin from Van?
6. How does Patty calm Jamie down?
7. What does Jamie feel about ice skating?
8. How does Earl teach Jamie how to ice skate?
9. How does Mrs. Desrochers support Jamie and his mother?
10. How does Jamie react when his mother disappears down the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Patty react to Van's violence? In what way does her reaction create more problems for her and her children? How could she have dealt with the problem better?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)