|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Earl live?
2. What does Jamie shoot across the room as fast as when his mother calls him?
3. What does Jamie say his mother is wrapping him up like?
4. How does Patty say she knows Earl?
5. How does the author describe the atmosphere immediately after Patty catches Nin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Earl react to seeing Patty and her children at his house?
2. How does Earl calm Jamie down at the end of this section?
3. Who is Agnes and what is her role in the story?
4. How does Patty scare Jamie in this section?
5. How does Patty calm Jamie down at the beginning of the chapter?
6. What does Jamie fantasize about Earl?
7. What does Jamie see at the beginning of the story?
8. How does Jamie persuade Patty to take him to the carnival?
9. How does Van react to what he has done?
10. What is Jamie thinking as he waits for his mother in the car?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way could be said that Patty herself strikes fear into Jamie? How does Jamie react to his mother conflicting feelings about what happened?
Essay Topic 2
What does Jamie's fantasy about the bomb suggest about his situation in the story? How is his fantasy linked to the theme of dependency?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jamie's first reaction to seeing Van throw Nin across the room? How does Jamie's mother's reaction effect his own feelings about the incident?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)