|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Jamie feel scared when he stands outside?
2. What does Jamie see little mountains of as he steps outside?
3. How does Patty know Agnes?
4. What does Patty use for Nin's bed?
5. What do lesser magicians rely on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Earl help Jamie forget his situation at the beginning of this section?
2. How does Earl calm Jamie down at the end of this section?
3. What do Patty and Jamie talk about when Earl goes to work?
4. What does Jamie see at the beginning of the story?
5. What are the alternatives to staying in the trailer?
6. What does Jamie fantasize about Earl?
7. How does Patty scare Jamie in this section?
8. Why does Jamie get scared in this section?
9. In what way is Earl the perfect person for Patty to have gone to for help?
10. Summarize Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Earl help Patty and her children? Why doesn't push Patty more? What does the way he deals with the situation say about his relationship with Patty and his understanding about how she works?
Essay Topic 2
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)