|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamie feel he is inside of when he enters the trailer?
2. How does Patty know Agnes?
3. How does the author describe the atmosphere immediately after Patty catches Nin?
4. What does Jamie think he must have inside his body?
5. What does Earl do in the afternoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jamie make Patty angry in this section?
2. Why doesn't Earl think it is not a good idea for Patty to stay in the trailer?
3. How does Patty scare Jamie in this section?
4. What is Jamie's opinion of Van?
5. Summarize Chapter 4.
6. What are the different ways of magic?
7. How does Earl react to seeing Patty and her children at his house?
8. How does Earl help Jamie forget his situation at the beginning of this section?
9. What games does Jamie play at the carnival?
10. What does Jamie recall about Van and Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Jamie's feelings for Van? Why does he feel sympathy for Van at the end of the book? What does his sympathy suggest about Van and his relationship with Patty?
Essay Topic 2
In what way could be said that Patty herself strikes fear into Jamie? How does Jamie react to his mother conflicting feelings about what happened?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)