|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jamie think the worm keeps him as skinny as?
2. What does Jamie talk his mother out of doing?
3. What do Jamie and his mother do when Earl comes back from work?
4. What kind of air does the author say encases them as they walk outside?
5. What is Jamie doing in his dream that he knows he shouldn't do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Earl help Jamie forget his situation at the beginning of this section?
2. How does Van react to what he has done?
3. How does Jamie persuade Patty to take him to the carnival?
4. What games does Jamie play at the carnival?
5. Who is Agnes and what is her role in the story?
6. How does Patty reassure Jamie?
7. How did Jamie get his magic book?
8. How does Patty react to what Van does?
9. What does Jamie fantasize about Earl?
10. What is Jamie's opinion of Van?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what way does the author suggest Van is not the nasty person he seems at the beginning of the novel? How does this complicate the relationship he has had with Patty? What does this sat the way the author think about humans in general?
Essay Topic 2
What is Patty's relationship with Earl? Why is Earl so willing to help Patty?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)