|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Eight, the second time that Marlantes charged up a hill, what hit him?
2. Where was the injury that killed Utter?
3. Whose bow did the warrior Philoctetes carry?
4. What favorite place did Marlantes and his parents go after he came home?
5. How old was Maree Anne's little girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Niemi do and why when a helicopter went down?
2. How did Marlantes part from Meg?
3. What was the meaning of the battlefield myth that the enemy tied wire around themselves so they wouldn't bleed so fast?
4. In Chapter Eight, Marlantes heard someone screaming as he and his men moved toward the NVA. Why was the man screaming?
5. Why was lying about kills prevalent in Vietnam?
6. When did Marlantes' father start to talk about his war experiences?
7. What did Marlantes do after he decided to leave college?
8. For what did Marlantes believe the Vietnam War would be infamous?
9. Why were military men urged not to wear their uniforms around citizens, and why did Marlantes often ignored this request?
10. How did the gunner Prairie Dog get his nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Nine, Marlantes said that warriors needed to be prepared before and after war to come home. Discuss how Marlantes believed that warriors should have been prepared to come home.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Eight, Marlantes stated that medals were all mixed up with hierarchy, politics, and even job descriptions. Discuss the subject of military medals and what Marlantes thought of medals.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Five, Marlantes discussed the enemy within a person. Discuss the enemy within.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)