|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Eight when Marlantes and his company started running into booby traps, how often did they change out the point men?
2. What was the name of the Spartan commander who died defending Thermopylae?
3. Where did President Johnson give a speech in September 1967?
4. In Chapter Eight, by the time Marlantes made it up a hill, what type of helicopter arrived?
5. How old was Sergeant Bell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was lying about kills prevalent in Vietnam?
2. What did Marlantes' father do during World War II?
3. How could an individual in the military of a Western democracy have had freedom to disobey orders?
4. In 1967, what did President Johnson talk about in a speech he made in El Paso?
5. When Marlantes learned that superior officers hated to chew him out because of all his medals, what did he do?
6. What moral conflict did Marlantes and his friend struggle with in 1967?
7. What did Niemi do and why when a helicopter went down?
8. Why were military men urged not to wear their uniforms around citizens, and why did Marlantes often ignored this request?
9. What was the meaning of the battlefield myth that the enemy tied wire around themselves so they wouldn't bleed so fast?
10. How did Marlantes' first wife feel about his book, "What is it Like to Go to War"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Four, Marlantes shared the struggle he had reconciling the fact that he was a good person, yet he had hurt people. Discuss how Marlantes dealt with this split in himself.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Ten, Marlantes discussed the "Club" of combat veterans. Discuss the Club, its purpose, and its positive and negative aspects.
Essay Topic 3
In the preface, Marlantes explained why he wrote "What it is Like to Go to War." Discuss why Marlantes wrote the book.
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)