|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Greek and Roman mythology, what was a metaphor for consciousness?
2. When Marlantes' helicopter landed in Chapter Eight, how far where they from the DMZ?
3. How many years passed after Philoctetes was exiled did someone come to get his weapon?
4. In Chapter Eight when Marlantes and his company started running into booby traps, how often did they change out the point men?
5. What branch of service did Marlantes' Scout leader, Ed, serve in during World War II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marlantes' Scout survival training?
2. How did Marlantes get Utter down the hill?
3. What did Marlantes do after he decided to leave college?
4. What would a warrior have to do to avoid the lie of two minds?
5. In Chapter Eight, Marlantes heard someone screaming as he and his men moved toward the NVA. Why was the man screaming?
6. What did Marlantes' father do during World War II?
7. How did Marlantes describe Maree Ann when he knew her in high school?
8. Describe the conditions for Marlantes' company at the beginning of Chapter Eight.
9. For what did Marlantes believe the Vietnam War would be infamous?
10. What was the meaning of the battlefield myth that the enemy tied wire around themselves so they wouldn't bleed so fast?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marlantes believed that changes in the military could bring more mature and psychologically balanced warriors. Discuss the changes Marlantes felt the military needed to make to create balanced warriors.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Four, Marlantes believed that war could be exhilarating. Discuss why war could be exhilarating and what Marlantes thought should be done about those feelings.
Essay Topic 3
In the "Temple of Mars," Marlantes discussed initiations. Discuss two types of initiations and the consequences if someone does not experience both initiations.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)