|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long had the Third Marine Division and the North Vietnamese Army struggled?
2. Where did Marlantes' grandfather often fish?
3. After a night of drinking and drugs, what bridge would Marlantes watch undulate like a sine wave?
4. What did Marlantes say was the Irish equivalent of the Iliad?
5. How large was the net that Marlantes' grandfather used to fish with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whose death did Marlantes particularly remember?
2. What was the recurring nightmare that Marlantes first had?
3. Why did Marlantes keep a picture of a girl from Mozambique on his file cabinet.
4. What did Marlantes believe happened to warriors who were not adequately prepared to take life away from others?
5. What type of power did a platoon commander have?
6. What was a critical psychological issue about weapons technology?
7. What happened when warfare was turned into crusades?
8. In "Mahabharata," why couldn't Arjuna fight?
9. What did it take for Marlantes to realize that he had to quit fighting the shadows?
10. Describe Zoomer's injuries.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Nine, Marlantes said that warriors needed to be prepared before and after war to come home. Discuss how Marlantes believed that warriors should have been prepared to come home.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Four, Marlantes discussed the pride that could come from having superior weapons technology. Discuss weapons technology and the psychological implications of having the best weapons.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Eight, Marlantes discussed heroism. Discuss heroes and heroism
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)