|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time did Marlantes have after combat that could have been spent mourning and asking for forgiveness?
2. What were the names of Marlantes' sons?
3. What group of people ended up fighting for a government that was murdering millions in concentration camps?
4. Where did Marlantes' grandfather often fish?
5. What was the name of Marlantes' buddy who also shot at a teen NVA soldier with a grenade?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Marlantes keep a picture of a girl from Mozambique on his file cabinet.
2. Why was the 1970s therapy group that Marlantes attended a damaging experience?
3. What did Marlantes lose after Vietnam and why?
4. Whose death did Marlantes particularly remember?
5. What inattention to detail in 1968 made Marlantes feel guilty?
6. What did Marlantes say about his spiritual condition in 1968?
7. In 1968 when Marlantes was in charge of an undermanned platoon, how did he and his men guide a helicopter team in to rescue the wounded?
8. What did it take for Marlantes to realize that he had to quit fighting the shadows?
9. In "Mahabharata," why couldn't Arjuna fight?
10. What type of power did a platoon commander have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Two, Marlantes discussed what it felt like to kill someone. Discuss the feelings that Marlantes and others might have had about killing someone.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Three, Marlantes commented that warriors needed to be careful about whom politicians made out to be devils. Discuss the limitations and difficulties of choosing the right side to fight on.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Nine, Marlantes said that warriors needed to be prepared before and after war to come home. Discuss how Marlantes believed that warriors should have been prepared to come home.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)