|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Two, how old was Marlantes' when he endured a storm on his grandfather's fishing boat?
2. When was the "Mahabharata" first written down and preserved?
3. What type of plane did Marlantes' friend, who was an ex-Navy pilot, fly as a civilian?
4. After Marlantes had been in Vietnam about a year and was assigned to be an air observer, how many feet off the ground did the observation plane fly?
5. Where did Marlantes go when he first felt emotion about the killing he had done during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Marlantes lose after Vietnam and why?
2. What was the recurring nightmare that Marlantes first had?
3. What type of power did a platoon commander have?
4. Describe Zoomer's injuries.
5. What did Marlantes believe happened to warriors who were not adequately prepared to take life away from others?
6. How did Marlantes try to deal with the darkness and dark deeds that he carried inside after Vietnam?
7. How was Marlantes' grandfather injured?
8. When was the first time that Marlantes felt any emotion about having killed?
9. Why did Marlantes keep a picture of a girl from Mozambique on his file cabinet.
10. Why was the 1970s therapy group that Marlantes attended a damaging experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter Nine, Marlantes said that warriors needed to be prepared before and after war to come home. Discuss how Marlantes believed that warriors should have been prepared to come home.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter Ten, Marlantes discussed the "Club" of combat veterans. Discuss the Club, its purpose, and its positive and negative aspects.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter Eight, Marlantes stated that medals were all mixed up with hierarchy, politics, and even job descriptions. Discuss the subject of military medals and what Marlantes thought of medals.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)