|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Sergeant Bell?
2. What injured Philoctetes when he was on his way to war?
3. How old was Maree Ann when Marlantes last saw her?
4. Who was Marlantes paired with for Scout survival training?
5. In Chapter Nine, how long had Marlantes been back in the States?
(a) About a month.
(b) About 3 weeks.
(c) 2 months.
(d) 5 weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Greek play that Marlantes retold in Chapter Six, who was the only person who could use the magic bow?
2. In Chapter Eight, the second time that Marlantes charged up a hill, what hit him?
3. In Chapter Eight, how far did one kid have to jump when the helicopter pilot lost his nerve and gunned the copter out of the zone too soon?
4. In Chapter Seven, what were an executive officer and a platoon commander bargaining over?
5. How many years passed after Philoctetes was exiled did someone come to get his weapon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the meaning of the battlefield myth that the enemy tied wire around themselves so they wouldn't bleed so fast?
2. What did Niemi do and why when a helicopter went down?
3. What did Marlantes' father do during World War II?
4. How could an individual in the military of a Western democracy have had freedom to disobey orders?
5. In Chapter Eight, Marlantes heard someone screaming as he and his men moved toward the NVA. Why was the man screaming?
6. Who came to meet Marlantes when he came home?
7. What would a warrior have to do to avoid the lie of two minds?
8. Describe Marlantes' Scout survival training?
9. How did Marlantes describe Maree Ann when he knew her in high school?
10. How did the gunner Prairie Dog get his nickname?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)