|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how many decades did Marlantes have flashbacks from the war that affected him emotionally?
2. What was Joseph Campbell's ethnic background?
3. Where did Marlantes fight an NVA soldier in Chapter Six?
(a) Near a river.
(b) Inside a hospital.
(c) In a bramble patch.
(d) Inside a bunker.
4. When was Zoomer injured?
(a) January 1969.
(b) April 1968.
(c) March 1968.
(d) February 1969.
5. Who said, "I am by nature warlike"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Later in Marlantes' military tour, after he'd been wounded twice, how many men were Marlantes' and his pilot supposed to rescue?
2. When was the "Mahabharata" first written down and preserved?
3. In 1968 when Marlantes lead an undermanned platoon, what was the height of the cliff on the north side of their area?
4. In Chapter Four, how many men did Marlantes' take with him to assess how his platoon was doing?
5. Where was Marlantes when he saw a little girl who had had her hands cut off to enhance her ability to beg?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Marlantes say that war is the antithesis of a fundamental rule of moral conduct?
2. What type of power did a platoon commander have?
3. What did Marlantes believe happened to warriors who were not adequately prepared to take life away from others?
4. How were soldiers regarded by the American people during World War II?
5. What happened when warfare was turned into crusades?
6. What response would people who actually fought and won battles have?
7. Whose death did Marlantes particularly remember?
8. Why did Marlantes keep a picture of a girl from Mozambique on his file cabinet.
9. What side did Marlantes believe there was that men tried to deny?
10. What inattention to detail in 1968 made Marlantes feel guilty?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)