|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What author captured the wonderful bragging of the old-time flatboat men?
(a) Lewis Carroll.
(b) Mark Twain.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Henry James.
2. Where did Marlantes consider going to desert the Marines?
(b) Sweden or Algeria.
(d) Canada or Mexico.
3. What type of a vehicle took the Scouts to their survival training destination"?
(a) Pickup truck.
(b) Old van.
(c) Panel truck.
(d) Station wagon.
4. What medal did Marlantes and Niemi receive at the end of Chapter Eight?
(a) Navy Cross.
(b) Purple Heart.
(d) Medal of Valor.
5. Who was Marlantes paired with for Scout survival training?
6. How far was Marlantes' hometown from his arrival airport when he flew back home?
(a) 25 miles.
(b) 75 miles.
(c) 50 miles.
(d) 100 miles.
7. How did a woman on the train to New York treat Marlantes?
(a) Thanked him for his service.
(b) Spit on him.
(c) Hit him with her purse.
(d) Bought him lunch.
8. What was the name of PFC Nelson's friend who died at the beginning of Chapter Six?
9. What was the name of Marlantes' first love?
10. What types of trees covered the ridges where Marlantes and his fellow Scouts did their survival training?
11. What college was Marlantes driving companion in 1967 going to attend?
12. How old was Marlantes when he and a fellow Boy Scout had to learn survival skills?
13. What was Marlantes driving in 1967 when he heard President Johnson give a speech?
(a) 1958 Dodge.
(b) 1951 Ford.
(c) 1954 Buick.
(d) 1953 Chevy.
14. How far apart was each pair of Scouts dropped off?
(a) About 1 mile.
(b) About a half a mile.
(c) 3/4 mile.
(d) 1/4 mile.
15. What movie had Marlantes seen that made him want a medal?
(a) To Hell and Back.
(b) Sergeant York.
(c) Twelve O'Clock High.
(d) They Were Expendable.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of the adult Scout leader who dropped Marlantes and his fellow Scouts for survival training?
2. In a retelling of a classic illustration of the code of Bushido, what was the name of the samurai lord who was exiled from the capital?
3. Where was the injury that killed Utter?
4. In Greek and Roman mythology, what was a metaphor for consciousness?
5. How many scout leaders met the boys when they made it back to the rendezvous point?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)