|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 1968, after securing the top of a mountain for a new artillery firebase, how many men did Marlantes have in his rifle platoon?
2. In Chapter Four, how old was the volunteer who went with Marlantes to assess the platoon holding a key bridge?
3. At the time that Marlantes wrote his book, how long had it been since he killed someone?
(a) 40 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. After Marlantes had been in Vietnam about a year and was assigned to be an air observer, how many feet off the ground did the observation plane fly?
(a) Only a couple hundred.
(b) About a thousand.
5. How many tours did Marlantes' pilot friend spend in Vietnam?
6. Who was Marlantes philosophy tutor at Oxford?
(a) Andrew Davies.
(b) William Brighton.
(c) John Mackie.
(d) Charlie Williams.
7. What was the name of Marlantes' German shepherd?
8. How big was the sturgeon that Marlantes and his grandfather caught in June, 1959?
(a) 7 feet.
(b) 8 feet.
(c) 9 feet.
(d) 6 feet.
9. In Chapter Three, from what book did Marlantes include a quote by T. E. Lawrence?
(a) The Mint.
(b) The Forest Giant.
(c) Revolt in the Desert.
(d) Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
10. How long had the Third Marine Division and the North Vietnamese Army struggled?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 months.
11. How tall was "Canada"?
(a) 6 feet 4 inches.
(b) 5 ffeet 11 inches.,
(c) 6 feet 2 inches.
(d) 5 feet 9 inches.
12. What is the name of the warrior hero in "Mahabharata"?
13. Where did Marlantes fight an NVA soldier in Chapter Six?
(a) Near a river.
(b) Inside a bunker.
(c) In a bramble patch.
(d) Inside a hospital.
14. Where did Marlantes grow up?
15. What colors were two Indian women whom Marlantes noticed during a dinner party in Singapore wearing?
(a) Blue and green.
(b) Orange and purple.
(c) Mauve and fuchsia.
(d) Pink and lavender.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marlantes was with his company in the high mountains that formed the Vietnamese border with Laos, what did he target for an air strike?
2. During the time of the storm that Marlantes' endured on his grandfather's fishing boat, which was described in Chapter 2, how much were fisherman paid per pound for Sockeye salmon?
3. How big was the sturgeon that Marlantes and his grandfather caught in June, 1959?
4. Where did Marlantes' grandfather often fish?
5. Which Kipling's poem did Marlantes say was not about gratitude, but attitude?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)