|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Marlantes philosophy tutor at Oxford?
(a) William Brighton.
(b) John Mackie.
(c) Andrew Davies.
(d) Charlie Williams.
2. When was the Viking poem written that Marlantes quoted in Chapter Four?
(a) 8th century.
(b) 5th century.
(c) 7th century.
(d) 10th century.
3. How old was Marlantes' youngest son when the German shepherd bit him?
4. How old was Joseph Henderson when he died?
5. How big was the sturgeon that Marlantes and his grandfather caught in June, 1959?
(a) 7 feet.
(b) 9 feet.
(c) 8 feet.
(d) 6 feet.
6. In Chapter Three, from what book did Marlantes include a quote by T. E. Lawrence?
(a) Revolt in the Desert.
(b) Seven Pillars of Wisdom.
(c) The Forest Giant.
(d) The Mint.
7. In 1968 when Marlantes was left in charge of an undermanned platoon, how long did he and his men sleep at a time?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 3 hours.
(c) 4 hours.
(d) 2 hours.
8. What colors were two Indian women whom Marlantes noticed during a dinner party in Singapore wearing?
(a) Pink and lavender.
(b) Blue and green.
(c) Mauve and fuchsia.
(d) Orange and purple.
9. Where did Marlantes participate in a white-heat atrocity?
(a) Key Lai Bridge.
(b) Mutter's Ridge.
(c) Wyatt's Bridge.
(d) Mui La Ridge.
10. Where was Marlantes when he saw a little girl who had had her hands cut off to enhance her ability to beg?
11. Where had Marlantes traveled when he came home to find his son curled up with a photo of the two of them?
12. In Chapter Two, how old was Marlantes' when he endured a storm on his grandfather's fishing boat?
13. How big was the sturgeon that Marlantes and his grandfather caught in June, 1959?
(a) 9 cents.
(b) 8 cents.
(c) 7 cents.
(d) 10 cents.
14. What was Joseph Campbell's ethnic background?
15. During the time of the storm that Marlantes' endured on his grandfather's fishing boat, which was described in Chapter 2, how much were fisherman paid per pound for Sockeye salmon?
(a) 33 cents.
(b) 51 cents.
(c) 22 cents.
(d) 48 cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Marlantes religious affiliation growing up?
2. Which Kipling's poem did Marlantes say was not about gratitude, but attitude?
3. Where did Marlantes go when he first felt emotion about the killing he had done during the war?
4. What was Marlantes' great-grandmother's occupation?
5. How many years after the therapy-group experience, did Marlantes have dinner with Joseph Campbell?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)