|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Valentino's friends volunteers for the army?
2. What river do the children have to cross?
3. With whom does William share his train carriage?
4. What does Julian say he did when two boys mugged him?
5. What is the name of Phil's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
2. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
3. Why do the Dinka think the UN wants to get rid of them?
4. Describe Valentino's life at Kakuma.
5. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
6. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
7. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
8. How do the elders organize the groups?
9. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
10. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Why is there such a conflict between Muslims and Christians? How can the two groups sort out their differences?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)