|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers do when the men tell the children they are innocent?
2. Where did the Sudanese man refuse to allow his wife to travel to?
3. What do the Sudanese blame Mary for?
4. What did Mary Williams found?
5. What river do the Lost Boys have to cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
2. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
3. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
4. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
5. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
6. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
7. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
8. Describe Valentino's life at Kakuma.
9. What game does Valentino play with the girls?
10. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Eggers' argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Eggers' argument?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Valentino's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Valentino hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Valentino ideas about life?
3. How has Valentino's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can books express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)