|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Valentino want to bribe?
2. What bites the boys as they wait for the boats?
3. Where does the man take Valentino?
4. Who invites the boys to eat with them?
5. What job does William say he found in a city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
2. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
3. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
4. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
5. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
6. Describe Valentino's life at Kakuma.
7. How do the elders organize the groups?
8. How does the camp start to discipline the boys?
9. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
10. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book.
1. The Dinka tribe.
2. The SPLA.
3. The UN camps.
Essay Topic 2
Compare African and western culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)