|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the trip Valentino has to make?
2. Who apologizes for Tabitha's death?
3. What is the name of Tabitha's ex-boyfriend?
4. What does Garang say he wants the boys to fight for?
5. What does the man give Valentino to drink?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
2. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
3. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
4. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
5. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
6. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
7. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
8. How does Deb Newmyer help Valentino at the hospital?
9. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
10. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)