|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Stacy and Philip want to know?
2. Who does the commander say the prisoners have raped and abused?
3. What does Julian say he did when two boys mugged him?
4. What do the Sudanese blame Mary for?
5. What is the receptionist's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
2. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
3. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
4. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
5. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
6. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
7. How do the elders organize the groups?
8. Why does the UN build a fence around the camp?
9. How does the camp start to discipline the boys?
10. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Valentino's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Valentino hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Valentino ideas about life?
3. How has Valentino's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the SPLA and how influential were they in Sudan? What does Valentino thinks of the SPLA? How does Eggers express Valentino's views in the book?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)