|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kills more boys at he end of the section?
2. What actress adopted Mary Williams?
3. What do the children sing when Garang arrives at the camp?
4. What is the name of Valentino's sponsor?
5. What kind of animal devours two of the boys?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the elders organize the groups?
2. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
3. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
4. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
5. Why do the Dinka think the UN wants to get rid of them?
6. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
7. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
8. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
9. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
10. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)