|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Dinkas load the boys onto?
2. In what war does Julian say he fought?
3. What do the teachers do to the boys if they misbehave?
4. What language does a commander ban the children from speaking?
5. What do Stacy and Philip want to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
2. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
3. How do the elders organize the groups?
4. What game does Valentino play with the girls?
5. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
6. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
7. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
8. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
9. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
10. How do the teacher's young nieces distract the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the SPLA and how influential have the SPLA been in Sudan? What are Valentino's views on the SPLA? How does he express his views in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can books express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Why is there such a conflict between Muslims and Christians? How can the two groups sort out their differences?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)