|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does a commander ban the children from speaking?
2. What do the soldiers do when the men tell the children they are innocent?
3. Where does William say he and his family sought refuge when the soldiers attacked?
4. What does Valentino hope the MRI scan will answer for him?
5. Where does Bobby Newmyer live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
2. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
3. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
4. Describe Valentino's life at Kakuma.
5. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
6. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
7. How do the elders organize the groups?
8. How does Deb Newmyer help Valentino at the hospital?
9. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
10. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)