|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Duluma kill Tabitha?
2. What is the name of the oldest boy?
3. What job does William say he found in a city?
4. Who do the people at the camp think is responsible for the bombings?
5. What does Valentino say is prohibited in Sudan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
2. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
3. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
4. How do the teacher's young nieces distract the boys?
5. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
6. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
7. Why does the UN build a fence around the camp?
8. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
9. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
10. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What publicity both negative and positive have the Lost Boys had since coming to America? How have the Lost Boys' lives changed since coming to America? Why has it been difficult for them to settle in America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the construction of Eggers' argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Eggers' argument?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)