|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river do the children have to cross?
2. How has the village changed since they were last there?
3. What sport does Valentino enjoy playing at the camp?
4. What is Bobby Newmyer's job?
5. Who does the commander say the prisoners have raped and abused?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
2. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
3. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
4. How does Deb Newmyer help Valentino at the hospital?
5. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
6. How do the teacher's young nieces distract the boys?
7. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
8. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
9. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
10. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Eggers' argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Eggers' argument?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the differences between the book and autobiography formats. What are the main elements of a book? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can books express that an autobiographer cannot? How can autobiographies keep to the facts while still maintaining a level of entertainment?
Essay Topic 3
Compare African and western culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)