|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies at the end of this section?
2. How has the village changed since they were last there?
3. Who do the people at the camp think is responsible for the bombings?
4. Who invites the boys to eat with them?
5. Why does Valantino think Dumalu killed Tabitha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
2. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
3. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
4. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
5. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
6. Describe Valentino's life at Kakuma.
7. How does Deb Newmyer help Valentino at the hospital?
8. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
9. Why do the Dinka think the UN wants to get rid of them?
10. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the SPLA and how influential were they in Sudan? What does Valentino thinks of the SPLA? How does Eggers express Valentino's views in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Eggers' previous books and contrast it with WHAT IS THE WHAT terms of the following:
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)