|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does a commander ban the children from speaking?
2. What river do the children have to cross?
3. What did the Dinkas load the boys onto?
4. Where does William say he and his family sought refuge when the soldiers attacked?
5. Where does Bobby Newmyer live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
2. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
3. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
4. Why do the Dinka think the UN wants to get rid of them?
5. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
6. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
7. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
8. How do the teacher's young nieces distract the boys?
9. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
10. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why is there such a conflict between Muslims and Christians? How can the two groups sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)