|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Phil's wife?
2. Who apologizes for Tabitha's death?
3. What did the Dinkas load the boys onto?
4. What does William begin to throw at people?
5. How did Duluma kill Tabitha?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
2. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
3. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
4. How do the teacher's young nieces distract the boys?
5. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
6. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
7. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
8. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
9. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
10. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the SPLA and how influential have the SPLA been in Sudan? What are Valentino's views on the SPLA? How does he express his views in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book.
1. The Dinka tribe.
2. The SPLA.
3. The UN camps.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Valentino's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Valentino hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Valentino ideas about life?
3. How has Valentino's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)