|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what did Achor's friend use the tampons?
2. What is Phil Mays' job?
3. What does the UN build for the camp?
4. What does Valentino hope the MRI scan will answer for him?
5. Where does Bobby Newmyer live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
2. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
3. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
4. How does the camp start to discipline the boys?
5. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
6. How does Deb Newmyer help Valentino at the hospital?
7. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
8. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
9. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
10. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of Eggers' previous books and contrast it with WHAT IS THE WHAT terms of the following:
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)