|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Valentino's sponsor?
2. Who does Valentino want to bribe?
3. What river do the children have to cross?
4. With whom does William share his train carriage?
5. Which of Valentino's friends volunteers for the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
2. What game does Valentino play with the girls?
3. How does Deb Newmyer help Valentino at the hospital?
4. Why do the Dinka think the UN wants to get rid of them?
5. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
6. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
7. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
8. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
9. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
10. How does Valentino win the girls' attention?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the construction of Eggers' argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Eggers' argument?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
Essay Topic 3
Why is there such a conflict between Muslims and Christians? How can the two groups sort out their differences?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)