|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What actress adopted Mary Williams?
2. Who does Valentino want to bribe?
3. What did Mary Williams found?
4. What does the UN build for the camp?
5. What bites the boys as they wait for the boats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
2. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
3. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
4. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
5. What game does Valentino play with the girls?
6. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
7. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
8. Why does Valentino not want Achor Achor to call the police?
9. Why does the UN build a fence around the camp?
10. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Valentino's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Valentino hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Valentino ideas about life?
3. How has Valentino's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)