|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Valentino say is prohibited in Sudan?
2. What does someone bomb in Kenya and Tanzania?
3. What does Bobby Newmyer want to make a film about?
4. What does William begin to throw at people?
5. What does Valentino hope the MRI scan will answer for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
2. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
3. Why does the UN build a fence around the camp?
4. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
5. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
6. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
7. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
8. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
9. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
10. Why do the Dinka think the UN wants to get rid of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the following people and outline his/her influence on Valentino's life:
1. His father
2. His mother
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of Eggers' previous books and contrast it with WHAT IS THE WHAT terms of the following:
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)