|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does someone bomb in Kenya and Tanzania?
2. How has the village changed since they were last there?
3. What is the name of Phil's wife?
4. What does Julian say he did when two boys mugged him?
5. What river do the children have to cross?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
2. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
3. How does Deb Newmyer help Valentino at the hospital?
4. Why does the UN build a fence around the camp?
5. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
6. How does a stranger help Valentino in Chapter 14?
7. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
8. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
9. How do the elders organize the groups?
10. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Why is there such a conflict between Muslims and Christians? How can the two groups sort out their differences?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)