|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sport does Valentino enjoy playing at the camp?
2. What does Garang say he wants the boys to fight for?
3. What does William begin to throw at people?
4. For what did Achor's friend use the tampons?
5. What does Bobby Newmyer want to make a film about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
2. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
3. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
4. Why does William start to throw sand at people?
5. What problem does Valentino say Sudanese men are having in America?
6. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
7. Describe Valentino's life at Kakuma.
8. How do the elders organize the groups?
9. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
10. What game does Valentino play with the girls?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)