|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Sudanese blame Mary for?
2. Where does Bobby Newmyer live?
3. Why does Valantino think Dumalu killed Tabitha?
4. In what war does Julian say he fought?
5. What does Valentino say is prohibited in Sudan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the elders organize the groups?
2. What game does Valentino play with the girls?
3. Why does the UN build a fence around the camp?
4. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
5. How did Moses escape from the Arabs?
6. How does William say he escaped the Arabs?
7. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
8. How does life in Ethiopia start to get much better for Valentino?
9. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
10. Why do the Dinka think the UN wants to get rid of them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why has Africa suffered so much in recent years? How has the Western World helped Africa? What impact has the book had in terms of highlighting the problems in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the SPLA and how influential were they in Sudan? What does Valentino thinks of the SPLA? How does Eggers express Valentino's views in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Eggers' argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Eggers' argument?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)