|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Deng complain about?
2. What did Mary Williams found?
3. What does Bobby Newmyer want to make a film about?
4. What is the name of the oldest boy?
5. For what did Achor's friend use the tampons?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems are there between the Ethiopians and the Sudanese?
2. How does Julian say he reacted when some people tried to mug him?
3. How do the elders organize the groups?
4. How does the Kenyan doctor help Valentino?
5. How does Achor Achor help Valentino?
6. How does the camp react when John Garang visits?
7. Why does the UN build a fence around the camp?
8. How does the salesman duped Valentino?
9. How does Eggers mix non-fiction and fiction in the book?
10. How did the Arabs treat Moses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the SPLA and how influential were they in Sudan? What does Valentino thinks of the SPLA? How does Eggers express Valentino's views in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book.
1. The Dinka tribe.
2. The SPLA.
3. The UN camps.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)