|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Valentino think the Sudanese have struggled in America?
2. Why does Valentino decide to join Dut's group?
3. Who does Dut talk to at the village?
4. Why does Valentino say he likes Arab Sadiq?
5. Where does Dut say his group is traveling to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Tabitha coveted by all the Sudanese men in America?
2. What does Valentino think about his new life in America?
3. How do Valentino and his mother manage to escape to a compound full of grain?
4. How does Valentino show the cultural differences between Americans and Sudanese in Chapter 13?
5. What are Valentino's feelings about Sudan now he has moved to America?
6. Who is Mary Williams?
7. What is the story of creation?
8. Why do some of the Sudanese dislike Mary Williams?
9. What story does Valentino tell about Amath?
10. How does Deng say he escaped the Arab soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Valentino's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Valentino hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Valentino ideas about life?
3. How has Valentino's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme:
2. Point of view
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)