|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Valentino say his mother is as strong as?
2. Who arrives at Valentino's apartment in this section?
3. What room does the boy run to when Valentino speaks to him?
4. Who does Dut talk to at the village?
5. Where does Valentino go to fetch the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the boys contract malaria?
2. Why was Tabitha coveted by all the Sudanese men in America?
3. How do Valentino and his mother manage to escape to a compound full of grain?
4. How does Valentino introduce the themes of the book?
5. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear horses?
6. How does Valentino describe his mother?
7. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear airplanes?
8. What did Valentino know about African Americans before he came to America?
9. What is the story of creation?
10. What does Valentino think about his new life in America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Eggers' previous books and contrast it with WHAT IS THE WHAT terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the construction of Eggers' argument.
1. How does he introduce his ideas?
2. How does he construct his ideas to come to logical conclusion?
3. What weaknesses and strengths can you identify in Eggers' argument?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)