|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Valentino and his two friends guard through the night?
2. What is the name of the group's leader?
3. Over whose body is Moses standing?
4. What does Valentino's father want to do in Aweil?
5. What country did Valentino walk to from Ethiopia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems do the boys have at the beginning of their journey?
2. What did Valentino know about African Americans before he came to America?
3. How does the boy react when Valentino calls out his name?
4. How does Valentino show the cultural differences between Americans and Sudanese in Chapter 13?
5. How does Deng say he escaped the Arab soldiers?
6. How do Valentino and his mother manage to escape to a compound full of grain?
7. How does Valentino introduce the themes of the book?
8. What problem does Valentino's father have with the rebels?
9. Why does Valentino join Dut and his group?
10. What does Valentino start thinking about when he was a little boy in Sudan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the SPLA and how influential were they in Sudan? What does Valentino thinks of the SPLA? How does Eggers express Valentino's views in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Valentino's character to the person he was at the beginning of the book to who he is at the end.
1. What did Valentino hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Valentino ideas about life?
3. How has Valentino's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)