|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers do to Valentino's father when he questions their actions?
2. What does Valentino hear while he is helping his mother?
3. Why does Valentino think the Sudanese have struggled in America?
4. What does Valentino's father want to do in Aweil?
5. What country did Valentino move to from Kenya?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Valentino show the cultural differences between Americans and Sudanese in Chapter 13?
2. How does the boy react when Valentino calls out his name?
3. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear horses?
4. What does Valentino think about his new life in America?
5. Why was Tabitha unusual among the Sudanese?
6. Why does Valentino say the Arabs will destroy his village?
7. What does Valentino say about slavery?
8. How does Valentino avoid the Arab soldiers in the forest?
9. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear airplanes?
10. How does Deng say he escaped the Arab soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine their real life equivalent. How did the author adapt it for his book.
1. The Dinka tribe.
2. The SPLA.
3. The UN camps.
Essay Topic 2
What publicity both negative and positive have the Lost Boys had since coming to America? How have the Lost Boys' lives changed since coming to America? Why has it been difficult for them to settle in America?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)