|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Valentino meet Tabitha?
2. What did the soldiers think was in the locker?
3. Who does William K say the soldiers have killed?
4. What is the name of Valentino's girlfriend?
5. What do the Arabs do for one hour?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Valentino and his mother manage to escape to a compound full of grain?
2. What does the African American couple want?
3. What problems do the boys have at the beginning of their journey?
4. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear horses?
5. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear airplanes?
6. What does Valentino see happening from the church?
7. Why was Tabitha unusual among the Sudanese?
8. What did Valentino know about African Americans before he came to America?
9. Why was Tabitha coveted by all the Sudanese men in America?
10. How does Valentino avoid the Arab soldiers in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Valentino's generation face? How are the problems for Valentino's generation different from the problems his father's generation face? Identify and discuss a significant problem facing your generation.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the books reception in three different countries including the country the book was written. How do their opinions about the books differ? Was the book more influential in one country than another? If so, why?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)