|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Valentino's father want to do in Aweil?
(a) Open a bar.
(b) Join the rebels.
(c) Set up a shop.
(d) Open a cafe.
2. What do the government soldiers say Valentino's father has been giving the rebels?
3. What is the name of the man Valentino lives with?
(d) Achor Achor.
4. Where does Valentino's mother take him when they hear horses?
(a) The tunnel.
(b) The woodland.
(c) The bomb shelter.
(d) The long grass.
5. Why does Valentino think the Sudanese have struggled in America?
(a) They don't understand modern culture.
(b) America does want them there.
(c) Their expectations were too high.
(d) It ihas been difficult to find work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Dut talk to at the village?
2. What do the Arabs do for one hour?
3. Who does William K say the soldiers have killed?
4. What is the star Sadiq gives Valentino made from?
5. What animal did Deng eat that killed him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Deng say he escaped the Arab soldiers?
2. Why was Tabitha coveted by all the Sudanese men in America?
3. How do Valentino and his mother manage to escape to a compound full of grain?
4. How does Valentino show the cultural differences between Americans and Sudanese in Chapter 13?
5. Why does Valentino join Dut and his group?
6. What problems does Valentino's father have in Aweil?
7. Why was Tabitha unusual among the Sudanese?
8. How does Valentino avoid the Arab soldiers in the forest?
9. What is the story of creation?
10. Why does Valentino say the Arabs will destroy his village?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)