|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What African country is Valentino from?
2. Who does Valentino's mother hear scream?
(a) Her son.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her husband.
3. Who does Dut talk to at the village?
(a) The village reverend.
(b) The village doctor.
(c) The village chief.
(d) The village prince.
4. What does the man use to hit Valentino?
(a) A cup.
(b) His fists.
(c) A gun.
(d) A stick.
5. What happens when Valentino tries to find another hiding place?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He sees William die.
(c) He sees his mother die.
(d) He is stopped.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the man kick Valentino when he tries to get up?
2. Why can the robbers not leave the house?
3. What do rebel soldiers take from Valentino's father's shop without paying?
4. What is the capital of Sudan?
5. What is the compound full of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the boy react when Valentino calls out his name?
2. What does Valentino say about slavery?
3. What problem does Valentino's father have with the rebels?
4. How do Valentino and his mother manage to escape to a compound full of grain?
5. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear airplanes?
6. How does Valentino avoid the Arab soldiers in the forest?
7. What does the name Michael remind Valentino of?
8. What are Valentino's feelings about Sudan now he has moved to America?
9. What problems do the boys have at the beginning of their journey?
10. How does Valentino show the cultural differences between Americans and Sudanese in Chapter 13?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)