|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sadiq request Valentino's father to tell a story about?
(a) The savior's birth.
(b) Civil rights.
2. Why does Valentino think the Sudanese have struggled in America?
(a) It ihas been difficult to find work.
(b) America does want them there.
(c) Their expectations were too high.
(d) They don't understand modern culture.
3. What did the soldiers think was in the locker?
(b) Moldy food.
(c) A dead baby.
(d) A dead animal.
4. How does Valentino try to raise the alarm?
(a) He sings.
(b) He bangs his head against the wll.
(c) He screams.
(d) He kicks a door.
5. Why does the woman say she needs to use Valentino's phone?
(a) Her husband is ill.
(b) Her son is ill.
(c) Her car has broken down.
(d) She has a gas leak.
Short Answer Questions
1. What culture recognizes Sharia law?
2. What is the African American woman's name?
3. Who do the Dinkas tell Valentino is dead?
4. What does Valentino fetch for Amath?
5. What African country is Valentino from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Valentino tell about Amath?
2. What does Valentino think about his new life in America?
3. How do the boys contract malaria?
4. Why do some of the Sudanese dislike Mary Williams?
5. What does the name Michael remind Valentino of?
6. How does Valentino's mother react when they hear horses?
7. How does Valentino describe his mother?
8. How does Valentino introduce the themes of the book?
9. How does Valentino avoid the Arab soldiers in the forest?
10. How does Valentino show the cultural differences between Americans and Sudanese in Chapter 13?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)