|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Asa's mother let him do to try to help the car situation?
2. What does Dave do one day during baseball practice when he becomes annoyed with Asa?
3. What does Asa think is the problem with playing the second baseball game of the evening?
4. Who is the boy who has declared his love for Jean?
5. What is written on the items that Jean has sent to Asa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asa's mother decide that she no longer wants to take her antidepressant medication?
2. What is the nature of Asa's mother's illness and what impact has it had on Asa's transient life?
3. How does Dave injure Asa during baseball practice and what does Asa do to retaliate?
4. Why does Asa have to pack his things on the day he tells Jean he loves her?
5. Why do Asa and his mother not end up moving into the apartment in Raleigh?
6. Why does Asa love Jean and how has loving her changed his life?
7. What is Asa's mother's psychological condition and what responsibility does Asa have for her on a daily basis?
8. What position does Asa play on his Little League team and how good of a player is he?
9. What is Jean's surprising reaction to Asa's phone call, and why does Asa not get down about it?
10. How well is the game going for Asa and his Little League team and what good plays does Asa make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bruce Brooks is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Joel. What is his role in the story, "Not Blue"? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Joel's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Asa's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)