|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Asa's mother give him when he comes home from school?
2. To what city do Dave and Asa drive Asa's mother?
3. What does Asa tell Jean that will always mean something to him?
4. In what class did Asa first meet the girl in #140?
5. Who is Asa's Little League coach?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story, "Out" begin and what is the content of the story?
2. What is the name of Asa's Little League team and who are they playing in the game in Chapter 3?
3. How does Asa finally get the nice bedroom and why does Dave often walk in without knocking?
4. What is Jean's reaction when Asa tells her he loves her?
5. Why does Asa find it impossible to tell Dave that he loves him?
6. Why do Asa and his mother not end up moving into the apartment in Raleigh?
7. How does the author let the reader have some sympathy for Dave as a result of his relationship with Asa's mother?
8. Why does Asa love Jean and how has loving her changed his life?
9. What grade is Asa in in "What Hearts" and who is the girl he loves?
10. What are the conditions in which Asa does not force his mother to take her medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emotional abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Asa's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Dave. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)