|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Little League team has not scored a single run in the first four games of the season?
2. From what illness does Asa's mother suffer?
3. In what class did Asa first meet the girl in #140?
4. Who practices baseball with Asa when he and Dave no longer go together?
5. Asa wishes Dave would respect his __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asa's mother start practicing baseball with Asa and what is she shocked to see when Asa's is shirtless one day?
2. What is the name of Asa's Little League team and who are they playing in the game in Chapter 3?
3. What is so unusual about Asa's being in the same school for three years and what has Jean observed about Asa during this time?
4. Why does Asa have to pack his things on the day he tells Jean he loves her?
5. Who gives Asa the candy hearts and how is the loving mood broken by the teacher's announcement?
6. How does Asa's mother try to kill herself in one night?
7. What does Asa's mother tell him about love when he tells her that he is in love with someone?
8. What sport does Dave not like very much but he agrees to help Asa practice so Asa can try out for a team?
9. In what area do Asa and Dave build some sort of relationship?
10. How does Dave injure Asa during baseball practice and what does Asa do to retaliate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "What Hearts". What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Joel. What is his role in the story, "Not Blue"? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Joel's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)