|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Asa's life is like the roller coaster in that it ___________________.
2. What day is it at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What has the librarian given to Asa?
4. What type of jacket is Joel wearing?
5. With whom is Asa teamed to read a poem for Show Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asa push ahead in line to perform earlier than scheduled when he sees Joel in the auditorium?
2. How does Dave behave with Asa around, and what does Asa's mother do to try to minimize Dave's bad behavior?
3. What does Asa realize when he awakens in the night in the bungalow?
4. What do Dave, Asa and Asa's mother do after dinner on their first night together?
5. How old is Asa since the last story, and what is he doing as the story begins?
6. Why is Asa so desperate to be liked by his classmates?
7. What is the poem Joel has selected to present on Show Night and how does Asa feel about it?
8. How does Asa try to keep the poem practices moving forward after Joel begins to miss practice sessions?
9. What news does Asa get from his mother when he returns home from school, and how does he respond to the news?
10. Why does Joel's mother call Asa, and what does she offer to do regarding Joel and the poem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"What Hearts" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "What Hearts". What is he trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)