|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bobby usually talk to Asa about?
2. What is Asa's mood at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What is Dave's demeanor toward Asa as they drive in the car from the airport?
4. What is the number of Dave's bungalow?
5. What does Asa see sitting around his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Asa's fourth grade teacher and why does he like her?
2. What is the name of the new poem that Asa picks out and what struggle does Asa have with Joel regarding the new poem?
3. What is the purpose of Asa's imagining the second roller coaster ride?
4. Who does Asa see at the back of the auditorium as he is waiting backstage at Show Night?
5. What things has Asa brought home with him on the last day of school?
6. Why does Asa push ahead in line to perform earlier than scheduled when he sees Joel in the auditorium?
7. Who is Dave and how do he and Asa get along at their first meeting?
8. How old is Asa since the last story, and what is he doing as the story begins?
9. What is Show Night, and who is Asa teamed with to do a presentation?
10. Who is Asa, and what is he doing as the novel begins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Asa learns from Dave? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Asa always recall about his life with Dave as his stepfather?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Joel. What is his role in the story, "Not Blue"? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Joel's character in the novel?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)