|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the ocean Asa sees from the roller coaster?
2. What does Asa do when he rides the roller coaster the second time?
3. The peeling red light bulbs on the rides remind Asa of what?
4. What does Asa do when the balloon bursts?
5. Dave pays for Asa to ride the ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asa revert to the old poem and include Joel in the recitation?
2. What things has Asa brought home with him on the last day of school?
3. Why does Joel's mother call Asa, and what does she offer to do regarding Joel and the poem?
4. What do Asa and Dave do while Asa's mother talks to Asa's father on the phone?
5. What is Dave's demeanor after Asa's mother gets Asa off the roller coaster ride?
6. What has Asa learned about making friends as a side benefit of his moving around so much?
7. What is Show Night, and who is Asa teamed with to do a presentation?
8. What city will Asa be leaving and where will he be going to live with his mother?
9. How old is Asa since the last story, and what is he doing as the story begins?
10. How is Asa introduced to the class, and what is the first project he will work on with other boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emotional abuse takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional abuse in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Asa learns from Jean? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Asa always recall about his first love?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jean. What is her role in the story, "What Hearts"? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Jean's character in the novel?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)