|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who surprisingly shows up at Show Night?
2. What has Mrs. Brock named the classroom for Show Night?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Asa showed off with on the playground?
4. Who makes the ride operator stop the ride so Asa can get off?
5. What day is it at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the new poem that Asa picks out and what struggle does Asa have with Joel regarding the new poem?
2. What do Dave, Asa and Asa's mother do after dinner on their first night together?
3. What is Show Night, and who is Asa teamed with to do a presentation?
4. What problem does Joel have with the new poem?
5. How does Asa try to endear Dave to him when they meet?
6. How does Asa react to the roller coaster ride?
7. What helps Asa make new friends in his class?
8. What things has Asa brought home with him on the last day of school?
9. How does Asa try to keep the poem practices moving forward after Joel begins to miss practice sessions?
10. Who is Bobby Levy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Joel. What is his role in the story, "Not Blue"? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Joel's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
"What Hearts" is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book, and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)