|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Asa find Jean alone so that he can tell her that he loves her?
(a) The soccer field.
(b) A classroom.
(c) A hallway.
(d) The auditorium.
2. Which room does Dave not want Asa to have when they move into the big house?
(a) The basement room.
(b) The dormer room.
(c) The small third floor room.
(d) The large upstairs bedroom.
3. What is the name of Asa's Little League team?
(a) Hot Shots.
(d) Cool Guys.
4. Who is the boy who has declared his love for Jean?
(a) Raymond Prod.
(b) Richard Preston.
(c) Randy Pickerel.
(d) Robert Pontiac.
5. What does Asa smell in the house when he returns home from school?
(a) Dave's aftershave lotion.
(b) Fresh flowers.
(c) Laundry detergent.
(d) Spaghetti sauce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written on the items that Jean has sent to Asa?
2. In what class did Asa first meet the girl in #140?
3. What sports do Asa and Dave build their relationship on?
4. During the night, Asa's mother tries to hurt herself with ___________________.
5. How is Asa awakened in the middle of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story, "Out" begin and what is the content of the story?
2. Where do Dave and Asa take Asa's mother after she tried to commit suicide and what event will Asa miss as a result?
3. How does Asa finally get the nice bedroom and why does Dave often walk in without knocking?
4. What is Asa's mother's psychological condition and what responsibility does Asa have for her on a daily basis?
5. What is Jean's surprising reaction to Asa's phone call, and why does Asa not get down about it?
6. What grade is Asa in in "What Hearts" and who is the girl he loves?
7. Why does Asa love Jean and how has loving her changed his life?
8. What is the nature of Asa's mother's illness and what impact has it had on Asa's transient life?
9. Who gives Asa the candy hearts and how is the loving mood broken by the teacher's announcement?
10. What is so unusual about Asa's being in the same school for three years and what has Jean observed about Asa during this time?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)