|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Asa's mother doing when Asa returns home?
(a) Making cookies.
(b) Crying in her bedroom.
(c) Sitting in front of their apartment.
(d) Watching television.
2. What Roman character is Asa assigned to be in an oral presentation?
3. Why does Joel's mother call Asa?
(a) To tell him that Joel will not be ready to read the new poem.
(b) To tell him that Joel is sick and can't perform.
(c) To invite him for supper.
(d) To offer to take him to the program.
4. How does Joel get to Show Night?
(a) He rides his bike.
(b) He takes a bus.
(c) He walks.
(d) His mother drives him.
5. What does Asa do when he sees Joel enter the auditorium?
(a) He asks to be excused.
(b) He stomps off the stage.
(c) He decides to recite the poem that Joel knows.
(d) He starts reciting his new poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Asa try to give his school project vegetables?
2. What makes it easy for Asa to get new friends?
3. The peeling red light bulbs on the rides remind Asa of what?
4. Asa thinks the beach bungalows look like __________________.
5. About how many people are in the audience at Show Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Asa so desperate to be liked by his classmates?
2. What is Dave's demeanor after Asa's mother gets Asa off the roller coaster ride?
3. How does Asa try to endear Dave to him when they meet?
4. What news does Asa get from his mother when he returns home from school, and how does he respond to the news?
5. What is the purpose of Asa's imagining the second roller coaster ride?
6. What does it show about Asa's character when he decides to recite the old poem with Joel at his side?
7. How old is Asa since the last story, and what is he doing as the story begins?
8. Why does Joel's mother call Asa, and what does she offer to do regarding Joel and the poem?
9. Who is Asa, and what is he doing as the novel begins?
10. What does Asa realize when he awakens in the night in the bungalow?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)