|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Asa's mother give him when he comes home from school?
(a) She has reconciled with his father.
(b) She is divorcing Dave.
(c) She is going to have a baby.
(d) She is going back to the hospital.
2. What is the name of the hospital where Asa's mother is being taken?
(a) Butner Hospital.
(b) Taylor Regional Hospital.
(c) Raleigh Psychiatric.
(d) Chapel Hill Hospital.
3. What does Dave want to do with Asa when he enters his room unannounced on a Saturday morning?
(a) Go fishing.
(b) Watch cartoons.
(c) Play football.
(d) Play golf.
4. What reason does Asa think that Dave does not want Asa to have the room in #106?
(a) It is too dark.
(b) It offers Asa some privacy.
(c) It is too small.
(d) It is too cold.
5. Where does Asa find Jean alone so that he can tell her that he loves her?
(a) The soccer field.
(b) A hallway.
(c) A classroom.
(d) The auditorium.
6. Which room does Dave not want Asa to have when they move into the big house?
(a) The basement room.
(b) The large upstairs bedroom.
(c) The small third floor room.
(d) The dormer room.
7. Counting the new house in this story, how many houses has Asa lived in during his life?
8. Which of the following is NOT a reason that Asa likes words?
(a) Words could take their meaning with them.
(b) Words could rise away from circumstances.
(c) Spelling words always came easy to him.
(d) Words could move right along with you.
9. Asa has been in his current school for how many years?
10. Who is Asa's Little League coach?
(a) Coach Henderson.
(b) Coach Prater.
(c) Coach Taylor.
(d) Coach O'Brien.
11. What does Dave do one day during baseball practice when he becomes annoyed with Asa?
(a) Hits Asa with a baseball.
(b) Curses at Asa.
(c) Stomps off the field.
(d) Refuses to throw.
12. Why do Asa and his mother have to return home instead of going to Raleigh?
(a) Asa has the flu and needs to go to bed.
(b) The tire for the car won't be available until tomorrow.
(c) Dave forgot about a meeting he has tonight.
(d) Asa's mother forgot some of her clothes.
13. What does Asa notice about Coach Henderson when the coach is mad that Asa never noticed before?
(a) The coach is bald.
(b) The coach's teeth are crooked.
(c) The coach has a bulging vein on his forehead.
(d) The coach spits when he talks fast.
14. Who does Asa telephone when he returns home?
15. How does Dave feel about baseball?
(a) He dislikes it.
(b) He hates it.
(c) He lives for the game.
(d) He can take it or leave it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who practices baseball with Asa when he and Dave no longer go together?
2. What do Dave and Asa's mother do when they return home?
3. What is the opposing team in Asa's Little League game?
4. What does Asa smell in the house when he returns home from school?
5. Why does Asa feel encouraged about the words on the candy hearts?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)