|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do people curse in the poem "Avalanche"?
2. Who is the author of "My Valhalla"?
3. Who is the author of the poem "Garage Sale"?
4. Who wrote "I Give You Back"?
5. Who is the author of "That Kind of Marriage"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
2. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
3. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
4. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
5. What does the person conclude the secret of life is in "Secret of Life"?
6. What things does the author describe seeing in "My Valhalla"?
7. What does Jane Hirshfield personify in her poem of the collection?
8. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
9. What would be easier to understand in "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" according to the author?
10. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the use of personification and imagery in "What the Stones Knew." What is personified in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 2
How is the sense of loss described in Chris Mahon's "This Isn't Fair"? What characters are in the poem and how are they described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)