|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "How Forgetting Works in Late Winter," mounds of snow exhale under the what?
2. Who wrote "A Game Nobody Won"?
3. In "Year's End," the author writes, "Otherwise, not much has happened; we fell in love again, finding that one red feather on" what?
4. Who is the author of "Each Night"?
5. Who wrote "My Grandmother Told Us Jokes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
2. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
3. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
4. How is the father described in the poem "Mindleaving"?
5. What leads up to the house in "Dream House"? What does the author wonder?
6. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
7. What does the author give back in "I Give You Back"? What is personified?
8. Who is remembered in the poem "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
9. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
10. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the editor of "What Have You Lost"? Where does the poet live? What other works has she published? What common themes are seen in her works?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the themes in "Battleground State Park" and "Son, Skating." What is the setting of each poem? Who are the characters?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)