|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Lost Glove Is Happy," the author loses her glove made where?
2. In "Going Home," the author sees the addressee in where today?
3. Who wrote "Waking Up in the Morning"?
4. What is an artistic representation of an abstract quality or idea as a person?
5. In "The Lost Glove Is Happy," the author is going where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be easier to understand in "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" according to the author?
2. What does the person conclude the secret of life is in "Secret of Life"?
3. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
4. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
5. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
6. What does the author give back in "I Give You Back"? What is personified?
7. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
8. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
9. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
10. How are the trees in "Plum Trees" personified? What metaphors are used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)