|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "My Valhalla"?
2. The poem "Christmas" is written by whom?
3. Who is the author of "Each Night"?
4. In "How Forgetting Works in Late Winter," mounds of snow exhale under the what?
5. In "Benavides, Texas, 1906," a two-month-old newspaper warns ranchers to expect relatives due to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the subject of "Work"? What does he think of?
2. What ghosts does the author see in "The House at 5 Allende Street"? What metaphors are used?
3. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
4. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
5. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
6. How does the author describe his feelings about the memorial in "Unveiling the Vietnam Memorial"?
7. What does the author give back in "I Give You Back"? What is personified?
8. What would be easier to understand in "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" according to the author?
9. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
10. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similes and metaphors in the poems "Other Lives" and "So Far." What common theme relates these two works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of words and language in "Naming" and "Learning Persian." How do the authors of these poems use personification in language?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the themes and structure of "The New Blade" and "Custody." How is family related in each poem?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)