|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem of Memye Curtis Tucker's is included in the collection?
2. "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" was written by whom?
3. In "How Forgetting Works in Late Winter," mounds of snow exhale under the what?
4. The poem "Christmas" is written by whom?
5. Who is the author of "Truth"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
2. What does the person conclude the secret of life is in "Secret of Life"?
3. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
4. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
5. What does the author give back in "I Give You Back"? What is personified?
6. What ghosts does the author see in "The House at 5 Allende Street"? What metaphors are used?
7. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
8. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
9. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
10. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the editor of "What Have You Lost"? Where does the poet live? What other works has she published? What common themes are seen in her works?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery, symbolism and themes in "The New World." How does the author relate sexuality in this poem?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)