|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "What Came to Me," the author takes the last piece of what from a box?
2. In "I Give You Back," the author writes "so you can no longer keep me naked and ____ in the winter"?
3. Who wrote the poem "Work"?
4. In "Lament," the author asks someone to do what for her through the darkened sky?
5. Who is the author of "Benavides, Texas, 1906"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the trees in "Plum Trees" personified? What metaphors are used?
2. Who is the subject of "Work"? What does he think of?
3. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
4. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
5. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
6. How does the author describe his feelings about the memorial in "Unveiling the Vietnam Memorial"?
7. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
8. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
9. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
10. Where does the author see himself in "The Colors of Another Home"? What similes does he use in his description?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the themes and structure of "The New Blade" and "Custody." How is family related in each poem?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the similes and metaphors in the poems "Other Lives" and "So Far." What common theme relates these two works?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)