|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author sees the ghosts of whom in "The House at 5 Allende Street"?
2. What is punctuation in the air in the poem "Insurance"?
3. Who wrote "Raised Violence"?
4. Who is the only person who lives in the town of "Benavides, Texas, 1906"?
5. Who is the author of "Secret of Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe his feelings about the memorial in "Unveiling the Vietnam Memorial"?
2. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
3. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
4. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
5. What things does the author describe seeing in "My Valhalla"?
6. Who is remembered in the poem "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
7. What does Jane Hirshfield personify in her poem of the collection?
8. Where does the author see himself in "The Colors of Another Home"? What similes does he use in his description?
9. What would be easier to understand in "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" according to the author?
10. What leads up to the house in "Dream House"? What does the author wonder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the artwork in "What Have You Lost"? Who contributed the photographs in the book? How do the images serve to reflect the theme of loss?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)