|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
2. Who had shown the author how to play hide and seek in "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
3. In "The Lost Glove Is Happy," the author is going where?
4. The author of "Father, Herald Me Home" asks her father to "reach across and pull me over the" what?
5. In "Truth," the author's world has always been what?
Short Essay Questions
1. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
2. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
3. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
4. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
5. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
6. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
7. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
8. What things does the author describe seeing in "My Valhalla"?
9. What ghosts does the author see in "The House at 5 Allende Street"? What metaphors are used?
10. How is the father described in the poem "Mindleaving"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the similes and metaphors in the poems "Other Lives" and "So Far." What common theme relates these two works?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the use of personification and imagery in "What the Stones Knew." What is personified in the poem and why?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)