|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Avalanche," the snow creates the belief that everything has a what?
2. In "How Forgetting Works in Late Winter," mounds of snow exhale under the what?
3. In "The Lost Glove Is Happy," the author loses her glove made where?
4. Who is the author of "my lost father"?
5. In "Regrets on the Way to an Airport," the author writes that he has never filled his suitcase with remnants of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
2. How does the author describe his feelings about the memorial in "Unveiling the Vietnam Memorial"?
3. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
4. Who is remembered in the poem "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
5. What leads up to the house in "Dream House"? What does the author wonder?
6. Who is the subject of "Work"? What does he think of?
7. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
8. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
9. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
10. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)