|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Raised Violence," the author is glad when who calls?
2. Who had shown the author how to play hide and seek in "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
3. Who is the author of "Tough Ride"?
4. Who wrote "What Was Once Reached For"?
5. Who is the author of "Letter to an Ancestor"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
2. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
3. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
4. What would be easier to understand in "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" according to the author?
5. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
6. What does Jane Hirshfield personify in her poem of the collection?
7. Where does the author see himself in "The Colors of Another Home"? What similes does he use in his description?
8. What things does the author describe seeing in "My Valhalla"?
9. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
10. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the themes in "Battleground State Park" and "Son, Skating." What is the setting of each poem? Who are the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)