|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "Christmas" is written by whom?
2. In "Avalanche," the snow creates the belief that everything has a what?
3. In "Truth," the author's world has always been what?
4. What is the name of the narrator's son in "Tough Ride"?
5. Who is the author of "Tough Ride"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be easier to understand in "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" according to the author?
2. What does the author give back in "I Give You Back"? What is personified?
3. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
4. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
5. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
6. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
7. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
8. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
9. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
10. Where does the author see himself in "The Colors of Another Home"? What similes does he use in his description?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the artwork in "What Have You Lost"? Who contributed the photographs in the book? How do the images serve to reflect the theme of loss?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)