|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the poem "Sister"?
2. Who is the author of "My Valhalla"?
3. Who wrote "Cannon Beach"?
4. What does the narrator release in "I Give You Back"?
5. Who wrote "Waking Up in the Morning"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the person conclude the secret of life is in "Secret of Life"?
2. What things does the author describe seeing in "My Valhalla"?
3. Who is remembered in the poem "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
4. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
5. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
6. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
7. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
8. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
9. What leads up to the house in "Dream House"? What does the author wonder?
10. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of language in "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde." What structural choices does the author make in the work and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of words and language in "Naming" and "Learning Persian." How do the authors of these poems use personification in language?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery, symbolism and themes in "The New World." How does the author relate sexuality in this poem?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)