|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "my lost father"?
2. Who wrote "My Grandmother Told Us Jokes"?
3. What poem by Tony Hoagland is included in the collection?
4. Who is the author of "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
5. Who is the author of "Lament"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the trees in "Plum Trees" personified? What metaphors are used?
2. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
3. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
4. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
5. What does Jane Hirshfield personify in her poem of the collection?
6. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
7. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
8. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
9. How does the author describe his feelings about the memorial in "Unveiling the Vietnam Memorial"?
10. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
Essay Topic 2
How is the sense of loss described in Chris Mahon's "This Isn't Fair"? What characters are in the poem and how are they described?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the artwork in "What Have You Lost"? Who contributed the photographs in the book? How do the images serve to reflect the theme of loss?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)