|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem of Memye Curtis Tucker's is included in the collection?
2. How is Tutu's hair described in "Tutu on the Curb"?
3. In "I Give You Back," the author writes "so you can no longer keep me naked and ____ in the winter"?
4. Who is the author of "That Kind of Marriage"?
5. "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" was written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
2. What leads up to the house in "Dream House"? What does the author wonder?
3. Who is the subject of "Work"? What does he think of?
4. How is the father described in the poem "Mindleaving"?
5. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
6. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
7. What ghosts does the author see in "The House at 5 Allende Street"? What metaphors are used?
8. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
9. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
10. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of language in "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde." What structural choices does the author make in the work and why?
Essay Topic 2
How is the sense of loss described in Chris Mahon's "This Isn't Fair"? What characters are in the poem and how are they described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)