|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem of Memye Curtis Tucker's is included in the collection?
2. Who is the author of "Benavides, Texas, 1906"?
3. In "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating," the author wants the man to spend the rest of his life in a cell with what on the wall?
4. Who wrote the poem "Mindleaving"?
5. In "Regrets on the Way to an Airport," the author writes that he has never filled his suitcase with remnants of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
2. How does the author describe his feelings about the memorial in "Unveiling the Vietnam Memorial"?
3. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
4. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
5. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
6. Where does the author see himself in "The Colors of Another Home"? What similes does he use in his description?
7. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
8. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
9. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
10. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the themes and structure of "The New Blade" and "Custody." How is family related in each poem?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery, symbolism and themes in "The New World." How does the author relate sexuality in this poem?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)