|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Fame," fame does not care what?
2. Who wrote "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
3. Who is the author of "That Kind of Marriage"?
4. In "Passing Necessity," the author is humbled by hearing the first few bars of what song?
5. In "Lament," the author asks someone to do what for her through the darkened sky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of words and language in "Naming" and "Learning Persian." How do the authors of these poems use personification in language?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of sorrow in "Sudden" and "Seeing for You." How do these poems relate in terms of symbolism and imagery?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)