|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author sees the ghosts of whom in "The House at 5 Allende Street"?
2. "A Serenade" is written by whom?
3. Who is the only person who lives in the town of "Benavides, Texas, 1906"?
4. Who is the author of "Letter to an Ancestor"?
5. Who is the author of "Going Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
2. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
3. Who is remembered in the poem "Words My Friend Can't Bring Himself to Say"?
4. What does Jane Hirshfield personify in her poem of the collection?
5. What things does the author describe seeing in "My Valhalla"?
6. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
7. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
8. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
9. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
10. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the artwork in "What Have You Lost"? Who contributed the photographs in the book? How do the images serve to reflect the theme of loss?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)