|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Cannon Beach"?
2. In "The Colors of Another Home," the author's soul whispers that he is what?
3. Who wrote the poem "Avalanche"?
4. In "Autumn Quince," the promises that are never returned to are what?
5. The author of "Father, Herald Me Home" asks her father to "reach across and pull me over the" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
2. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
3. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
4. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
5. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
6. Where does the author see himself in "The Colors of Another Home"? What similes does he use in his description?
7. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
8. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
9. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
10. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in "Leaving the Light On." What does the author wonder about his parents? What conclusions does he find?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)