|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Other Lives" is by what author?
2. When did the author lay out school supplies in "Bittersweet"?
3. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author writes, "Losing makes us miserable, startles us awake. It's also" what?
4. "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule" is written by whom?
5. What can the author remember clearly of the children of his first grade class in "First Grade"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
2. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
3. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
4. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
5. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
6. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
7. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
8. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
9. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
10. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the similes and metaphors in "Lens." How is the author's mother described in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)