|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Lens," the author wonders about the shouting in the house and why who must be watched?
2. Who wrote the poem "Nine"?
3. Who sits in the top bunk late at night in "Nine"?
4. Who is the author of "The Wren"?
5. Who wrote the poem titled "Stranded"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
2. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
3. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
4. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
5. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
6. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
7. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
8. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
9. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
10. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the themes and structure of "The New Blade" and "Custody." How is family related in each poem?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)