|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The New Blade"?
2. In "Hitchhiker," the author sees a hitchhiker on the edge of town that is a pupil who stayed late after school to write loneliness and love where?
3. Who is the author of "The Wren"?
4. Who is the author of "That Was the Summer We Had Animals"?
5. In "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls," ten-year-old girls want to be how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
2. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
3. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
4. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
5. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
6. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
7. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
8. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
9. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
10. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the similes and metaphors in "Lens." How is the author's mother described in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the themes in "Battleground State Park" and "Son, Skating." What is the setting of each poem? Who are the characters?
Essay Topic 3
How is the sense of loss described in Chris Mahon's "This Isn't Fair"? What characters are in the poem and how are they described?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)