|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
2. Who wrote "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"?
3. In "What We Want," the author writes, "we all want to be lost, and looked for, and found again and welcomed home in the smoky darkness on any" what?
4. Who wrote the poem "Dedication"?
5. Who is the author of "Bittersweet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
2. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
3. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
4. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
5. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
6. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
7. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
8. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
9. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
10. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery, symbolism and themes in "The New World." How does the author relate sexuality in this poem?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the use of personification and imagery in "What the Stones Knew." What is personified in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)