|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tree does the author climb in "Leaving the Light On"?
2. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
3. Who wrote "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
4. Who wrote "The Higher Reaches"?
5. Who wrote "Almost Evenly Divided"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
2. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
3. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
4. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
5. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
6. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
7. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
8. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
9. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
10. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the editor of "What Have You Lost"? Where does the poet live? What other works has she published? What common themes are seen in her works?
Essay Topic 2
How is the sense of loss described in Chris Mahon's "This Isn't Fair"? What characters are in the poem and how are they described?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)