|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The New World," the author stared at the sculpture on the front lawn of what museum?
2. "Other Lives" is by what author?
3. Donna Leed's untitled poem talks of how she never saw the road between her house and her grandmother's house why?
4. Who is the author of "Lens"?
5. Mom threw out the author's what in "Emergency Situation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
2. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
3. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
4. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
5. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
6. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
7. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
8. What ghosts does the author see in "The House at 5 Allende Street"? What metaphors are used?
9. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
10. How is the father described in the poem "Mindleaving"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the sense of loss described in Chris Mahon's "This Isn't Fair"? What characters are in the poem and how are they described?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the themes in "Battleground State Park" and "Son, Skating." What is the setting of each poem? Who are the characters?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)