|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Emergency Situation"?
2. Who is the author of "The Wren"?
3. What gets lost in the dark in "Dedication"?
4. For whom is the poem "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know" written?
5. In "Naming," the author has lost the meaning of words, but she still knows the meaning of sugar and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
2. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
3. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
4. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
5. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
6. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
7. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
8. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
9. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
10. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the themes and structure of "The New Blade" and "Custody." How is family related in each poem?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery, symbolism and themes in "The New World." How does the author relate sexuality in this poem?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)