Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the author lay out school supplies in "Bittersweet"?
2. Who is the author of "That Was the Summer We Had Animals"?
3. Who wrote the poem "Nine"?
4. Who sits in the top bunk late at night in "Nine"?
5. Whose dad tipped the boat in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
2. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
3. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
4. Who is the subject of "Work"? What does he think of?
5. Where is the setting of "Valencia Street"? Who is the poem's subject?
6. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
7. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
8. What does the person conclude the secret of life is in "Secret of Life"?
9. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
10. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)