Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the author lay out school supplies in "Bittersweet"?
2. Who is the author of "That Was the Summer We Had Animals"?
3. Who wrote the poem "Nine"?
4. Who sits in the top bunk late at night in "Nine"?
5. Whose dad tipped the boat in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
2. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
3. What is personified in "Processes"? How?
4. Who is the subject of "Work"? What does he think of?
5. Where is the setting of "Valencia Street"? Who is the poem's subject?
6. What is the household like in the poem "That Kind of Marriage"?
7. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
8. What does the person conclude the secret of life is in "Secret of Life"?
9. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
10. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the themes and structure of "The New Blade" and "Custody." How is family related in each poem?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the editor of "What Have You Lost"? Where does the poet live? What other works has she published? What common themes are seen in her works?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)