|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Battleground State Park" is written by whom?
2. In "Aqueducts," the author imagines the aqueducts where?
3. Who wrote "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
4. What gets lost in the dark in "Dedication"?
5. Who is the author of "Years of Solitude"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
2. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
3. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
4. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
5. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
6. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
7. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
8. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
9. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
10. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the themes in "Battleground State Park" and "Son, Skating." What is the setting of each poem? Who are the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the editor of "What Have You Lost"? Where does the poet live? What other works has she published? What common themes are seen in her works?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)