|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule," the author writes, "we also had the righteous ones who worshiped the True Faith, and" what?
2. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
3. Who wrote "Legend"?
4. In "The Higher Reaches," a man gloats that soon he will have nothing to say and will what?
5. "Child Proof" is by what author?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
2. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
3. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
4. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
5. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
6. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
7. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
8. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
9. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
10. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the artwork in "What Have You Lost"? Who contributed the photographs in the book? How do the images serve to reflect the theme of loss?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)