|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the author meet at a crossroads in "I Myself"?
2. What poem did Leonard Nathan write in the collection?
3. Who is the author of "Years of Solitude"?
4. What kind of tree does the author climb in "Leaving the Light On"?
5. Who is the author of the poem "I Myself"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
2. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
3. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
4. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
5. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
6. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
7. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
8. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
9. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
10. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the use of personification and imagery in "What the Stones Knew." What is personified in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the theme of sorrow in "Sudden" and "Seeing for You." How do these poems relate in terms of symbolism and imagery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)