|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Sudden," the newspaper might have used the word "massive" if it had been a heart attack, but it used what instead?
2. Who wrote the poem titled "Stranded"?
3. When did the author lay out school supplies in "Bittersweet"?
4. What poem did Siv Cedering contribute to the collection?
5. Whose dad tipped the boat in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
2. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
3. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
4. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
5. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
6. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
7. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
8. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
9. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
10. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of sorrow in "Sudden" and "Seeing for You." How do these poems relate in terms of symbolism and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)