|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "The Family Car"?
2. In "Child Proof," the author writes, "Child is proof We come from somewhere else Where everyone" what?
3. In "Almost Evenly Divided," the author's life is nearly evenly divided between being Puerto-Rican and a what?
4. For whom is the poem "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know" written?
5. To whom is "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" dedicated?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
2. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
3. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
4. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
5. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
6. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
7. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
8. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
9. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
10. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of language in "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde." What structural choices does the author make in the work and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of words and language in "Naming" and "Learning Persian." How do the authors of these poems use personification in language?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the similes and metaphors in "Lens." How is the author's mother described in the poem and why?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)