|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde" is written by whom?
2. What kind of tree does the author climb in "Leaving the Light On"?
3. Who does the author tell to write his name on everything that belongs to him in "What the Stones Knew"?
4. Who wrote the poem titled "Sudden"?
5. "Child Proof" is by what author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
2. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
3. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
4. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
5. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
6. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
7. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
8. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
9. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
10. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)