|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Aqueducts," the author imagines the aqueducts where?
2. Who wrote "Shedding Skin"?
3. Who is the author of "Drifter, Owl, Mouse"?
4. Who is the author of "The Wren"?
5. In "The New World," the author stared at the sculpture on the front lawn of what museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
2. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
3. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
4. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
5. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
6. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
7. How is the person who has passed away described in the poem "Tune"?
8. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
9. What ghosts does the author see in "The House at 5 Allende Street"? What metaphors are used?
10. How are the trees in "Plum Trees" personified? What metaphors are used?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the editor of "What Have You Lost"? Where does the poet live? What other works has she published? What common themes are seen in her works?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)