|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the author remember clearly of the children of his first grade class in "First Grade"?
2. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
3. Who is the author of "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
4. Who is the author of "Drifter, Owl, Mouse"?
5. "Today I'll Sit Still" is written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
2. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
3. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
4. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
5. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
6. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
7. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
8. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
9. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
10. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the religious allusion and symbolism in "Shedding Skin" and "Invisibility." What do these poems have in common?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)