|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Other Lives" is by what author?
2. Where does Naomi Shihab Nye live?
3. Who wrote "At Home"?
4. In "Aqueducts," the author imagines the aqueducts where?
5. "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde" is written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
2. What does Jane Hirshfield personify in her poem of the collection?
3. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
4. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
5. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
6. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
7. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
8. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
9. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
10. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the similes and metaphors in the poems "Other Lives" and "So Far." What common theme relates these two works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in "Leaving the Light On." What does the author wonder about his parents? What conclusions does he find?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the use of personification and imagery in "What the Stones Knew." What is personified in the poem and why?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)