|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "What We Want"?
2. Who is the author of "The Family Car"?
3. Who wrote "Leaving the Light On"?
4. Who is the author of the poem "I Myself"?
5. "Battleground State Park" is written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
2. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
3. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
4. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
5. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
6. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
7. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
8. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
9. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
10. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the artwork in "What Have You Lost"? Who contributed the photographs in the book? How do the images serve to reflect the theme of loss?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the similes and metaphors in "Lens." How is the author's mother described in the poem and why?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)