|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Other Lives" is by what author?
2. In "Almost Evenly Divided," the author's life is nearly evenly divided between being Puerto-Rican and a what?
3. Who wrote the poem, "So Far"?
4. In "Lens," the author wonders about the shouting in the house and why who must be watched?
5. Who wrote "At Home"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
2. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
3. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
4. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
5. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
6. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
7. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
8. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
9. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
10. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of language in "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde." What structural choices does the author make in the work and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in "Leaving the Light On." What does the author wonder about his parents? What conclusions does he find?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)