|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem did Leonard Nathan write in the collection?
2. In "The Higher Reaches," a man gloats that soon he will have nothing to say and will what?
3. Who wrote the poem titled "Stranded"?
4. Who is the author of "Years of Solitude"?
5. Who is the author of "Bittersweet"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
2. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
3. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
4. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
5. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
6. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
7. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
8. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
9. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
10. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of sorrow in "Sudden" and "Seeing for You." How do these poems relate in terms of symbolism and imagery?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and describe the artwork in "What Have You Lost"? Who contributed the photographs in the book? How do the images serve to reflect the theme of loss?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the themes and structure of "The New Blade" and "Custody." How is family related in each poem?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)