|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Mother's Day" was written by whom?
2. Who wrote "Almost Evenly Divided"?
3. Who wrote "Leaving the Light On"?
4. What poem did Siv Cedering contribute to the collection?
5. In "Aqueducts," the author imagines the aqueducts where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
2. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
3. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
4. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
5. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
6. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
7. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
8. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
9. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
10. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)