|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" dedicated?
2. Who wrote the poem, "So Far"?
3. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author writes, "Losing makes us miserable, startles us awake. It's also" what?
4. Donna Leed's untitled poem talks of how she never saw the road between her house and her grandmother's house why?
5. Who is the author of "Waking Instructions"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
2. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
3. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
4. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
5. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
6. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
7. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
8. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
9. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
10. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of words and language in "Naming" and "Learning Persian." How do the authors of these poems use personification in language?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)