|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Shedding Skin"?
2. Who is the author of "Organdy Curtains, Window, South Bank of the Ohio"?
3. In "Drifter, Owl, Mouse," the mouse prays inside what?
4. Who wrote "The Higher Reaches"?
5. "Mother's Day" was written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
2. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
3. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
4. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
5. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
6. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
7. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
8. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
9. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
10. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the similes and metaphors in "Lens." How is the author's mother described in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the imagery, symbolism and themes in "The New World." How does the author relate sexuality in this poem?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)