|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Shedding Skin"?
2. What poem by Haas H. Mroue is included in the collection?
3. In "Sudden," the newspaper might have used the word "massive" if it had been a heart attack, but it used what instead?
4. In "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule," the author writes, "we also had the righteous ones who worshiped the True Faith, and" what?
5. "Other Lives" is by what author?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
2. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
3. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
4. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
5. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
6. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
7. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
8. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
9. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
10. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the use of personification and imagery in "What the Stones Knew." What is personified in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of language in "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde." What structural choices does the author make in the work and why?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)