|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Simple Song of Being Oneself"?
2. Who wrote "At Home"?
3. In "What We Want," the author writes, "we all want to be lost, and looked for, and found again and welcomed home in the smoky darkness on any" what?
4. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author leaves what behind on an airplane?
5. In "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls," ten-year-old girls want to be how old?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
2. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
3. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
4. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
5. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
6. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
7. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
8. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
9. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
10. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the settings and characters in the poems "Insurance" and "She had thought." In what narrative voice is each poem written?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of language in "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde." What structural choices does the author make in the work and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery, symbolism and themes in "The New World." How does the author relate sexuality in this poem?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)