|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem by Haas H. Mroue is included in the collection?
2. In "Aqueducts," the author imagines the aqueducts where?
3. Who wrote "What the Stones Knew"?
4. Who is the author of "Waking Instructions"?
5. In "Hitchhiker," the author sees a hitchhiker on the edge of town that is a pupil who stayed late after school to write loneliness and love where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
2. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
3. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
4. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
5. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
6. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
7. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
8. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
9. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
10. What did the author's mother give her in "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the theme of isolation in "Divorce" and "Where on This Earth." What symbolism and imagery do the authors employ in the works?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self-identity in the poems "Waking Instructions" and "I, Myself." What symbolism and imagery is used to reinforce this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of words and language in "Naming" and "Learning Persian." How do the authors of these poems use personification in language?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)