|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "My Father in the Stacks"?
2. In "The Higher Reaches," a man gloats that soon he will have nothing to say and will what?
3. Who wrote the poem "Orange Juice"?
4. "Today I'll Sit Still" is written by whom?
5. Who wrote "Hitchhiker"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
2. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
3. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
4. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
5. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
6. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
7. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
8. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
9. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
10. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the sense of loss described in Chris Mahon's "This Isn't Fair"? What characters are in the poem and how are they described?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the similes and metaphors in "Lens." How is the author's mother described in the poem and why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)