|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author find when he flees, trying to stay alone in "Simple Song of Being Oneself"?
2. What does the father serve in "Battleground State Park"?
3. Who wrote "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"?
4. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author writes, "Losing makes us miserable, startles us awake. It's also" what?
5. Where does Naomi Shihab Nye live?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
2. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
3. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
4. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
5. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
6. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
7. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
8. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
9. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
10. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the structural elements of the poems "Breath" and "Bittersweet." What elements of repetition can be seen? What is the rhyme and meter of each?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the theme of death in "Garage Sale" and "Benavides, Texas, 1906." How is the setting of each poem described? How does the setting impact the poem's tone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know." How is grief different in this poem than in others in the collection?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)