|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Lament," the author asks someone to do what for her through the darkened sky?
2. In "Truth," the author's world has always been what?
3. Who wrote "I Give You Back"?
(a) Nicanor Parra.
(b) Joy Harjo.
(c) Jane Hirshfield.
(d) Tina Letcher.
4. The author of "Father, Herald Me Home" asks her father to "reach across and pull me over the" what?
5. Who wrote the poem "Sister"?
(a) Catherine Bowman.
(b) Ali Abunimah.
(c) Andy Young.
(d) Sekine Hiroshi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the narrator of "That Kind of Marriage" sleep?
2. In "What Came to Me," the author takes the last piece of what from a box?
3. What is punctuation in the air in the poem "Insurance"?
4. Who is the author of "Benavides, Texas, 1906"?
5. In "I Give You Back," the author writes "so you can no longer keep me naked and ____ in the winter"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to the house in "Dream House"? What does the author wonder?
2. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
3. Who is the subject of "Work"? What does he think of?
4. What does the author give back in "I Give You Back"? What is personified?
5. How is snow personified in "Avalanche"?
6. How is the father described in the poem "Mindleaving"?
7. Where does the author see himself in "The Colors of Another Home"? What similes does he use in his description?
8. What is the glove compared to in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
9. How are the trees in "Plum Trees" personified? What metaphors are used?
10. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)