|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Each Night," images in dreams flash and fade in these darkened walls, and the author wants to climb into what?
(a) A car.
(c) A spaceship.
(d) The story.
2. Where did the narrator find his ancestor's name in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
(a) A newspaper.
(b) A personal letter.
(c) A census book.
(d) A painting.
3. Who is the author of the poem "Insurance"?
(a) John Sangster.
(b) Kimberly J. Brown.
(c) Vickie Karp.
(d) Dwight Fullingim.
4. Who wrote the poem "Fame"?
(a) Nicanor Parra.
(b) Eric Zuckerman.
(c) Jack Brannon.
(d) Mick Hatten.
5. Who wrote "Waking Up in the Morning"?
(a) Leroy V. Quintana.
(b) David B. Prather.
(c) Zymunt Frankel.
(d) Ali Abunimah.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Autumn Quince," the promises that are never returned to are what?
2. "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" was written by whom?
3. In "Regrets on the Way to an Airport," the author writes that he has never filled his suitcase with remnants of what?
4. In Rosellen Brown's untitled poem, who asks what friends are for?
5. Who wrote "Year's End"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
2. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
3. Who is described in the airport in "Going Home"?
4. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
5. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
6. What does Jane Hirshfield personify in her poem of the collection?
7. How are the trees in "Plum Trees" personified? What metaphors are used?
8. How is the body personified in "The Question"? Why?
9. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
10. What does the author consider about his ancestor in "Letter to an Ancestor"?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)