|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do people curse in the poem "Avalanche"?
(a) The road crew.
(b) The government.
(c) The weatherman.
(d) The town drunk.
2. Who is the author of "Benavides, Texas, 1906"?
(a) Quintin Prout.
(b) Richard Beban.
(c) Marissa C. Martinez.
(d) Robert Phillips.
3. Who wrote the poem "Mindleaving"?
(a) Andy Young.
(b) Nuala Archer.
(c) Lucille Clifton.
(d) Hayan Charara.
4. Who is the author going to visit in "The Lost Glove Is Happy"?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
5. In "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating," the author wants the man to spend the rest of his life in a cell with what on the wall?
(a) The faces of those he killed.
(c) A calendar marking his execution.
(d) Writings of death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Cannon Beach"?
2. In Rosellen Brown's untitled poem, who asks what friends are for?
3. Who is the author of "Secret of Life"?
4. Who is the author of "The Colors of Another Home"?
5. What poem by Tony Hoagland is included in the collection?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author give back in "I Give You Back"? What is personified?
2. "She had thought" describes what thoughts of the author's?
3. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
4. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
5. What natural events are described in "Lament"?
6. What simile describes the umbrella in "What Was Once Reached For"? What is the setting of the poem?
7. Why had the author paid close attention to the heard in "Model of the Heart at the Franklin Institute"?
8. What would be easier to understand in "Thinking of What the Jury is Deliberating" according to the author?
9. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
10. What leads up to the house in "Dream House"? What does the author wonder?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)