|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author writes, "Losing makes us miserable, startles us awake. It's also" what?
(a) A chance to learn.
(b) Sometimes fatal.
(d) Part of the game.
2. Who wrote "Shedding Skin"?
(a) Harryette Mullen.
(b) Nancy Mairs.
(c) Linda Gregg.
(d) Maggie Anderson.
3. In "What We Want," the author writes, "we all want to be lost, and looked for, and found again and welcomed home in the smoky darkness on any" what?
(a) "Winter night."
(b) "Autumn morning."
(c) "Summer night."
(d) "Spring morning."
4. In "Hitchhiker," the author sees a hitchhiker on the edge of town that is a pupil who stayed late after school to write loneliness and love where?
(a) On the chalkboard.
(b) In the sand.
(c) In the dirt.
(d) On a tree.
5. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author find when he flees, trying to stay alone in "Simple Song of Being Oneself"?
2. What poem by Haas H. Mroue is included in the collection?
3. What gets lost in the dark in "Dedication"?
4. Who does the author meet at a crossroads in "I Myself"?
5. In "Almost Evenly Divided," the author's life is nearly evenly divided between being Puerto-Rican and a what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
2. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
3. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
4. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
5. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
6. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
7. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
8. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
9. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
10. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)