|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Donna Leed's untitled poem talks of how she never saw the road between her house and her grandmother's house why?
(a) It was flooded.
(b) It was snow covered.
(c) She always fell asleep in the car.
(d) The headlights went dim.
2. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
3. Who is the author of "The Family Car"?
(a) Kimberly J. Brown.
(b) Teresa Palomo Acosta.
(c) Tom Absher.
(d) Jenny Browne.
4. Who wrote "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls"?
(a) Martha Christina.
(b) Emma Suarez-Baez.
(c) Ken Fontenot.
(d) Sandra Gail Teichmann.
5. "Today I'll Sit Still" is written by whom?
(a) Hayan Charara.
(b) Jack Myers.
(c) Ernesto Trejo.
(d) Jimmy Santiago Baca.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author leaves what behind on an airplane?
2. Who wrote "At Home"?
3. What poem did Leonard Nathan write in the collection?
4. What kind of tree does the author climb in "Leaving the Light On"?
5. Who wrote "Hitchhiker"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
2. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
3. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
4. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
5. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
6. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
7. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
8. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
9. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
10. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)