|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom is the poem "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know" written?
(a) Jennifer and Bridgett.
(b) Becca and Rosa.
(c) Kaitlin and Jorie.
(d) Selma and Josephine.
2. Who sits in the top bunk late at night in "Nine"?
3. Who wrote "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
(a) Lisa Brandenburg.
(b) David Hassler.
(c) Bill Meissner.
(d) Dionisio D. Martinez.
4. "Mother's Day" was written by whom?
(a) Roger Jones.
(b) Sandra Gail Teichmann.
(c) Daisy Zamora.
(d) Lisa Ruth Shulman.
5. Who wrote "First Grade"?
(a) Bill Meissner.
(b) Robert Dana.
(c) Herberto Padilla.
(d) Roger Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "Lens"?
2. Who does the author tell to write his name on everything that belongs to him in "What the Stones Knew"?
3. In "The Higher Reaches," a man gloats that soon he will have nothing to say and will what?
4. Who does the author meet at a crossroads in "I Myself"?
5. In "Naming," the author has lost the meaning of words, but she still knows the meaning of sugar and what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
2. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
3. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
4. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
5. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
6. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
7. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
8. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
9. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
10. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)