|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Sudden," the newspaper might have used the word "massive" if it had been a heart attack, but it used what instead?
2. Who is the author of "Lens"?
(a) Kimberly J. Brown.
(b) Tom Absher.
(c) Ken Fontenot.
(d) Hayan Charara.
3. Who is the author of the poem "I Myself"?
(a) Robert Dana.
(b) Hal Sirowitz.
(c) Anzar Hitoshi.
(d) Angel Gonzales.
4. Who wrote "Almost Evenly Divided"?
(a) Naomi Shihab Nye.
(b) Harriet Jacobs.
(c) Emma Suarez-Baez.
(d) Sandra Gail Teichmann.
5. "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde" is written by whom?
(a) Jimmy Santiago Baca.
(b) Kimberly J. Brown.
(c) John Sangster.
(d) Alastair Reid.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
2. In "Almost Evenly Divided," the author's life is nearly evenly divided between being Puerto-Rican and a what?
3. Who is the author of "Waking Instructions"?
4. Who wrote the poem titled "Sudden"?
5. Who wrote the poem titled "Stranded"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
2. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
3. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
4. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
5. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
6. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
7. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
8. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
9. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
10. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)