|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Lens," the author wonders about the shouting in the house and why who must be watched?
2. Who wrote "What We Want"?
(a) Vickie Karp.
(b) Maggie Anderson.
(c) Vern Rutsala.
(d) Lucille Clifton.
3. "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule" is written by whom?
(a) Herberto Padilla.
(b) Philip Appleman.
(c) Angel Gonzales.
(d) Kimberly J. Brown.
4. Who does the author meet at a crossroads in "I Myself"?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
5. "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde" is written by whom?
(a) Kimberly J. Brown.
(b) Jimmy Santiago Baca.
(c) Alastair Reid.
(d) John Sangster.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" dedicated?
2. Who wrote "Legend"?
3. In "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls," ten-year-old girls want to be how old?
4. In "Aqueducts," the author imagines the aqueducts where?
5. "Mother's Day" was written by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
2. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
3. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
4. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
5. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
6. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
7. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
8. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
9. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
10. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)