|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what poem by David Williams were his ancestors were thrown away as if they were nothing?
2. Who wrote "Leaving the Light On"?
(a) Lucille Clifton.
(b) Philip Appleman.
(c) Jack Myers.
(d) Alastair Reid.
3. Who is the author of "That Was the Summer We Had Animals"?
(a) Jack Ridl.
(b) John Sangster.
(c) Bill Meissner.
(d) Jimmy Santiago Baca.
4. In "Drifter, Owl, Mouse," the mouse prays inside what?
(a) The owl's beak.
(b) A rock outcropping.
(c) A tree trunk.
(d) The owl's talon's.
5. What poem did Siv Cedering contribute to the collection?
(c) "The Question."
(d) "The Changeling."
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule," the author writes, "we also had the righteous ones who worshiped the True Faith, and" what?
2. Who wrote the poem titled "Stranded"?
3. To whom is "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute" dedicated?
4. What poem by Haas H. Mroue is included in the collection?
5. Who is the author of "Lens"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
2. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
3. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
4. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
5. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
6. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
7. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
8. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
9. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
10. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)