|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what poem by David Williams were his ancestors were thrown away as if they were nothing?
2. In "Sudden," the newspaper might have used the word "massive" if it had been a heart attack, but it used what instead?
3. What poem did Siv Cedering contribute to the collection?
(a) "The Question."
(c) "The Changeling."
4. In "Shedding Skin," what does the author rub against?
(a) A glacier.
(b) A tree.
(c) A bear.
(d) A rock.
5. Who is the author of "Bittersweet"?
(a) Emma Mellon.
(b) Nancy Mairs.
(c) Lavonne J. Adams.
(d) Harriet Jacobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Stranded," the beloved's name drips from the author's what?
2. In "The New World," the author stared at the sculpture on the front lawn of what museum?
3. Who is the author of "The Wren"?
4. Donna Leed's untitled poem talks of how she never saw the road between her house and her grandmother's house why?
5. In "This Isn't Fair," the author's beloved leaves the room when he asks if she loves him, but he calls her back frantically to give her what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in the poem "David"? What images are described?
2. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
3. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
4. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
5. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
6. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
7. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
8. How does the author use metaphor to describe the hitchhiker in "The Hitchhiker"?
9. What does the author write about her choice to collect these poems in the Introduction?
10. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)