|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the poem titled "Sudden"?
(a) Naomi Shihab Nye.
(b) Vern Rutsala.
(c) Jack Myers.
(d) Nick Flynn.
2. "Battleground State Park" is written by whom?
(a) Vittorio Bodini.
(b) Martha Christina.
(c) Philip Appleman.
(d) Dionisio D. Martinez.
3. Who wrote "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"?
(a) William Trowbridge.
(b) Anzar Hitoshi.
(c) Harryette Mullen.
(d) Herberto Padilla.
4. Where does Naomi Shihab Nye live?
(a) San Antonio, Texas.
(b) Salt Lake City, Utah.
(c) Flagstaff, Arizona.
(d) Pueblo, Colorado.
5. "Child Proof" is by what author?
(a) Lisa Brandenburg.
(b) Bill Meissner.
(c) James Baker Hall.
(d) Emma Mellon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the coat lined with in "My Father's Coat"?
2. In "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls," ten-year-old girls want to be how old?
3. Who wrote "What We Want"?
4. In "The New World," the author stared at the sculpture on the front lawn of what museum?
5. What poem by Haas H. Mroue is included in the collection?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
2. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
3. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
4. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
5. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
6. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
7. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
8. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
9. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
10. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)