|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Years of Solitude"?
(a) Jim Natal.
(b) Dionisio D. Martinez.
(c) Sandra Gail Teichmann.
(d) David Hassler.
2. In "Sudden," the newspaper might have used the word "massive" if it had been a heart attack, but it used what instead?
3. In "Naming," the author has lost the meaning of words, but she still knows the meaning of sugar and what?
(a) Pine needle.
4. Who is the author of "Bittersweet"?
(a) Nancy Mairs.
(b) Emma Mellon.
(c) Lavonne J. Adams.
(d) Harriet Jacobs.
5. In "Hitchhiker," the author sees a hitchhiker on the edge of town that is a pupil who stayed late after school to write loneliness and love where?
(a) In the dirt.
(b) On the chalkboard.
(c) In the sand.
(d) On a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "That Was the Summer We Had Animals"?
2. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author leaves what behind on an airplane?
3. Who wrote "Shedding Skin"?
4. What is the coat lined with in "My Father's Coat"?
5. Who wrote "What We Want"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
2. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
3. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
4. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
5. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
6. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
7. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
8. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
9. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
10. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)