|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Shedding Skin"?
(a) Harryette Mullen.
(b) Maggie Anderson.
(c) Nancy Mairs.
(d) Linda Gregg.
2. Who sits in the top bunk late at night in "Nine"?
3. Where does Naomi Shihab Nye live?
(a) Pueblo, Colorado.
(b) Salt Lake City, Utah.
(c) San Antonio, Texas.
(d) Flagstaff, Arizona.
4. What does the author find when he flees, trying to stay alone in "Simple Song of Being Oneself"?
(a) Fortune and kindness.
(b) Lies and pain.
(c) Truth and danger.
(d) Death and fear.
5. In "Child Proof," the author writes, "Child is proof We come from somewhere else Where everyone" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "That Was the Summer We Had Animals"?
2. Who wrote "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"?
3. Who wrote "What We Want"?
4. "Today I'll Sit Still" is written by whom?
5. In what poem by David Williams were his ancestors were thrown away as if they were nothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
2. What similes are used to describe water in "Aqueducts"?
3. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
4. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
5. What word did the newspaper use in "Sudden"? Why?
6. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
7. What is described in "Dedication"? What simile is used to describe old papers?
8. What similes and metaphors are prevalent in "Custody"?
9. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
10. What does the author consider about her grief in "On the Suicide of a Young Boy I Did Not Know"?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)