|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Drifter, Owl, Mouse," the mouse prays inside what?
(a) A rock outcropping.
(b) The owl's beak.
(c) The owl's talon's.
(d) A tree trunk.
2. In "Naming," the author has lost the meaning of words, but she still knows the meaning of sugar and what?
(d) Pine needle.
3. In "Almost Evenly Divided," the author's life is nearly evenly divided between being Puerto-Rican and a what?
(a) New Yorker.
(d) San Franciscan.
4. In "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule," the author writes, "we also had the righteous ones who worshiped the True Faith, and" what?
(c) "Holy War."
5. Who is the author of "Organdy Curtains, Window, South Bank of the Ohio"?
(a) Lavonne J. Adams.
(b) Ben Judson.
(c) Craig Czury.
(d) James Baker Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule" is written by whom?
2. In "Sudden," the newspaper might have used the word "massive" if it had been a heart attack, but it used what instead?
3. What gets lost in the dark in "Dedication"?
4. "Child Proof" is by what author?
5. In "What We Want," the author writes, "we all want to be lost, and looked for, and found again and welcomed home in the smoky darkness on any" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is being searched for in "What We Want"? How are the people described?
2. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
3. What structural choices did the author make in "What Great Grief Has Made the Empress Mute"? Why?
4. What personification and metaphor is used in the poem "Stranded"?
5. What does the author discover in the sculptures in "The New World"?
6. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
7. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
8. How is the "beloved" described in the poem "This Isn't Fair"?
9. How is the coat described in "My Father's Coat"?
10. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)