|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poem did Leonard Nathan write in the collection?
(c) "The Changeling."
(d) "It Was Here."
2. Who wrote "Shedding Skin"?
(a) Nancy Mairs.
(b) Maggie Anderson.
(c) Linda Gregg.
(d) Harryette Mullen.
3. In "The Ants Are Using Sticks For Walls," ten-year-old girls want to be how old?
4. In the Introduction by Naomi Shihab Nye, the author leaves what behind on an airplane?
(a) Her purse.
(b) Her neck pillow.
(c) Her jacket.
(d) Her watch.
5. "Child Proof" is by what author?
(a) Bill Meissner.
(b) Lisa Brandenburg.
(c) Emma Mellon.
(d) James Baker Hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Simple Song of Being Oneself"?
2. Who does the author tell to write his name on everything that belongs to him in "What the Stones Knew"?
3. In "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule," the author writes, "we also had the righteous ones who worshiped the True Faith, and" what?
4. "Other Lives" is by what author?
5. Whose dad tipped the boat in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the father feel in "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"? What irony is described?
2. How did the author lose words in "Naming"? What does she recall?
3. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
4. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
5. Why did the author's mother throw out his underwear in "Emergency Situation"?
6. How are the mother's suicide attempts described in "Lens"?
7. How does the author describe his parents in "Leaving the Lights On"?
8. How are the people described in the poem "and sometimes i hear this song in my head"?
9. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
10. What question is the author asked in "First Grade"? What is the meaning?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)