|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the poem "Dedication"?
(a) Jim Natal.
(b) Sandra Gail Teichmann.
(c) Martha Christina.
(d) Lisa Ruth Shulman.
2. Mom threw out the author's what in "Emergency Situation"?
(a) Comic books.
(c) Fishing lures
(d) Baseball cards.
3. In "Lens," the author wonders about the shouting in the house and why who must be watched?
4. "What Gets Lost/Lo Que Se Pierde" is written by whom?
(a) Alastair Reid.
(b) Kimberly J. Brown.
(c) John Sangster.
(d) Jimmy Santiago Baca.
5. Who wrote "First Grade"?
(a) Bill Meissner.
(b) Herberto Padilla.
(c) Robert Dana.
(d) Roger Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Naming"?
2. What can the author remember clearly of the children of his first grade class in "First Grade"?
3. Who wrote "Taking My Son to His First Day of Kindergarten"?
4. In "The Higher Reaches," a man gloats that soon he will have nothing to say and will what?
5. In what poem by David Williams were his ancestors were thrown away as if they were nothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the author's encounter described in "I, Myself"?
2. What was the world once filled with in "Last-Minute Message for a Time Capsule"?
3. What does the performer do after leaving the stage in "The Mentalist Leaves the Stage"?
4. What simile is used to describe the father's hand in "The Memory Prayer"? What does the lightning do?
5. What does the author miss in "Song of the Prodigal Son"?
6. What journey is described in "Ghazal (For William Stafford)"?
7. What is "Almost Evenly Divided" in the poem by this name?
8. How does the author describe death in "The Father, Who Could Not Swim"?
9. How does the author recall his parents and sister in "Raised Violence"?
10. What similes are described in "Other Lives"?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)