|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mclean tell David that she is having for dinner?
2. What is Katherine's response when Mclean confronts her for the choices she has made?
3. What is Chuckles' mood when he shows up at Mclean's house?
4. What does Mclean's mother's friend bring to the house for Mclean?
5. Mclean learns that her friends have discovered her ____________________ on a social networking site.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Mcean's relationships with her parents and David making her feel more content now?
2. What options does Mclean have regarding her father's move to Hawaii?
3. How does Mclean learn about her father's new job in Hawaii and how does she feel about going there?
4. What does Lindsay do with Mclean's father at the restaurant that flusters Opal and starts to make Mclean feel like she's on shaky ground?
5. In what ways does Mclean begin to see her mother in a new light?
6. What does Mclean offer to do in exchange for her mother dropping the new custody arrangement?
7. What makes Mclean so upset that she takes off from the beach house in her old car?
8. What are Mclean's evolving thoughts about what home really is as she and her parents talk about the future?
9. Why does Mclean feel like she is being pushed out of her mother's house when she sees her things in storage and where does she go for a feeling of solidity?
10. How is this trip to the beach different from other trips there for Mclean and her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the overall setting for the story. Why does the author use the setting she does? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mclean's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)