|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mclean go when school lets out early?
2. How much money do David and his friends have now for their trip?
3. What does Mclean's father tell her when she comes home from school one day?
4. What are Mclean's plans for Spring Break?
5. Mclean learns that home isn't actually a specific location, it is ________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Mclean's evolving thoughts about what home really is as she and her parents talk about the future?
2. What do her friends confront Mclean about that makes her run from the restaurant where she had been helping with the model?
3. What good comes out of Mclean's stay at the Poseidon regarding her parents' views of her?
4. How does Mclean's mother respond when Mclean confronts her on the phone about the choices her mother has made that have impacted their lives?
5. How does Mclean learn about her father's new job in Hawaii and how does she feel about going there?
6. What makes Mclean so upset that she takes off from the beach house in her old car?
7. What is unusual about Mclean's seeing her mother on TV when David and his father are over watching the game?
8. How does Gus show his commitment to making the restaurant a success?
9. How is this trip to the beach different from other trips there for Mclean and her mother?
10. What does Mclean offer to do in exchange for her mother dropping the new custody arrangement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Deb. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Opal. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,094 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)