|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mclean get to school in Chapter 9?
2. Who is Mclean's little stepbrother?
3. Where will Mclean be going instead of going to Hawaii?
4. What does Mclean's father tell her when she comes home from school one day?
5. When will Mclean and Gus be leaving for his new job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lindsay do with Mclean's father at the restaurant that flusters Opal and starts to make Mclean feel like she's on shaky ground?
2. What makes Mclean so upset that she takes off from the beach house in her old car?
3. How are Mcean's relationships with her parents and David making her feel more content now?
4. In what ways does Mclean begin to see her mother in a new light?
5. Why does Mclean feel like she is being pushed out of her mother's house when she sees her things in storage and where does she go for a feeling of solidity?
6. What do her friends confront Mclean about that makes her run from the restaurant where she had been helping with the model?
7. How is this trip to the beach different from other trips there for Mclean and her mother?
8. How does Mclean's mother respond when Mclean confronts her on the phone about the choices her mother has made that have impacted their lives?
9. Explain the foreshadowing used by the author when she mentions Mclean's old car?
10. Where does Mclean go after she leaves the beach house and who does she call to comfort her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Deb. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Sarah Dessen's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)