|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mclean's mother's friend bring to the house for Mclean?
2. Who is Mclean's little stepsister?
3. Who/What is Mclean researching at the library in Chapter 11?
4. What does Mclean tell David that she is having for dinner?
5. Who is Mclean very happy to see at the restaurant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the foreshadowing used by the author when she mentions Mclean's old car?
2. How is this trip to the beach different from other trips there for Mclean and her mother?
3. How does Mclean's mother respond when Mclean confronts her on the phone about the choices her mother has made that have impacted their lives?
4. What has happened to David as a result of Mclean's calling him to come to the Poseidon the night she was so upset?
5. What does Lindsay do with Mclean's father at the restaurant that flusters Opal and starts to make Mclean feel like she's on shaky ground?
6. Why do Mclean and Deb especially enjoy going to Riley's house for dinner?
7. What do her friends confront Mclean about that makes her run from the restaurant where she had been helping with the model?
8. What does Mclean offer to do in exchange for her mother dropping the new custody arrangement?
9. What does Mclean learn about why her mother has met with an attorney?
10. How does Gus show his commitment to making the restaurant a success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Mclean's method of creating a new persona each time she enters a new school. Why does Mclean feel the need to reinvent herself with each move? What is the underlying psychological reason that Mclean creates her different identities?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mclean's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)