|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mclean's mother call her in Chapter 9?
2. What is Chuckles' mood when he shows up at Mclean's house?
3. What are Opal and the other restaurant workers talking about in Chapter 12?
4. What are David and his father doing when Mclean goes outside?
5. What is David not allowed to eat in his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mclean feel about being in this town after living here for two months?
2. What has happened to David as a result of Mclean's calling him to come to the Poseidon the night she was so upset?
3. How are Mcean's relationships with her parents and David making her feel more content now?
4. What good comes out of Mclean's stay at the Poseidon regarding her parents' views of her?
5. How had Mclean misunderstood what her mother said to her friend at the beach house that had made Mclean so upset?
6. Where does Mclean go after she leaves the beach house and who does she call to comfort her?
7. What does Mclean offer to do in exchange for her mother dropping the new custody arrangement?
8. How does Mclean's mother respond when Mclean confronts her on the phone about the choices her mother has made that have impacted their lives?
9. What is unusual about Mclean's seeing her mother on TV when David and his father are over watching the game?
10. Why do Mclean and Deb especially enjoy going to Riley's house for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Emotional insecurity takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of emotional insecurity in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Mclean learns from Dave? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Mclean always recall about her feelings about Dave during her time in Lakeview?
Essay Topic 3
There are several events of foreshadowing in WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)