|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mclean's father's job?
2. At what times does Mclean usually miss her mother?
3. Whom does Mclean invite to go to the basketball game with her?
4. What do Dave and his friend ask Mclean to do?
5. What had Mclean's mother given to her when she moved out?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Mclean's transient lifestyle as she views comments on her social networking page?
2. Explain the nature of Mclean's relationship with her father.
3. What does Mclean think about when she watches the stars from a party next door one night?
4. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
5. Riley points out something to Mclean about making friends when she helps Mclean after she injures herself at her locker? What does Riley tell her that surprises Mclean?
6. What is the premise of WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE?
7. How does Mclean meet Dave and what does she think about him?
8. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
9. What does Mclean reveal about her mother's background and her parents' relationship later on?
10. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mclean's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Mclean's relationship with her mother. How does she feel about her even though she has made her life difficult at times? Is the relationship especially difficult because of Mclean's mother's infidelity and the subsequent divorce? How does Mclean's kindness and forgiveness help define their important bond?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)