Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that upsets Mclean's mother about Mclean's life?
2. Who is Lindsay?
3. Who tries to contact Mclean when she is on the computer?
4. What name does Mclean use when introducing herself to Opal?
5. How does Mclean meet Deb?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mclean get to stay with Opal even though she was supposed to go live with her mother?
2. What is Mclean's relationship with her parents? What does Mclean blame for her parents' divorce?
3. What good comes out of Mclean's stay at the Poseidon regarding her parents' views of her?
4. What does Mclean learn about why her mother has met with an attorney?
5. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
6. What does Lindsay do with Mclean's father at the restaurant that flusters Opal and starts to make Mclean feel like she's on shaky ground?
7. How is this trip to the beach different from other trips there for Mclean and her mother?
8. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
9. In what ways does Mclean begin to see her mother in a new light?
10. In what way does Mclean feel that she is taking her mother's place regarding her father?
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mclean's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Opal. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)