|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mclean invite to go to the basketball game with her?
2. What community service project is Dave working on?
3. Riley tells Mclean that Dave is interested in whom?
4. Why does a reporter take pictures of Mclean, David and some other kids?
5. What is Mclean's father's job?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that made Mclean feel as if she no longer fit into her mother's world?
2. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
3. Why does Mclean prefer to leave a place without saying goodbye?
4. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
5. In what way does Mclean feel that she is taking her mother's place regarding her father?
6. Why is Mclean reluctant to attend the big basketball game in town?
7. Why is Mclean's mother upset when she phones Mclean at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
9. What point of view is the book written in and what does that reveal about Mclean, the main character?
10. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of David. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)