|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mclean's mother try to persuade her to do when she calls?
2. What appears unexpectedly in the kitchen when Mclean is there?
3. What does Mclean learn about Dave?
4. When Mclean sits and analyzes the sky, what does she recall?
5. Why is David in jeopardy of losing his vacation trip with his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE?
2. How is Mclean's resistance to playing basketball again and getting to know David symbolic of Mclean's inner turmoil about her life in general?
3. What is Mclean's relationship with her parents? What does Mclean blame for her parents' divorce?
4. What does Mclean think about when she watches the stars from a party next door one night?
5. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
6. What happened that made Mclean feel as if she no longer fit into her mother's world?
7. What is revealed about Mclean's transient lifestyle as she views comments on her social networking page?
8. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
9. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
10. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mclean's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)