|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Dave and his friends plan to go on a trip?
2. With what was Mclean obsessed when she was younger?
3. Who is Mclean's father?
4. Who is the person sitting in Mclean's house when she first arrives there?
5. Mclean feels that ________________ ruined basketball for her.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Mclean feel that she is taking her mother's place regarding her father?
2. What point of view is the book written in and what does that reveal about Mclean, the main character?
3. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
4. What does Mclean think about when she watches the stars from a party next door one night?
5. What changes does Mclean see in her mother when she spots her at the big game?
6. Why is Mclean's mother upset when she phones Mclean at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. What happened that made Mclean feel as if she no longer fit into her mother's world?
8. Explain the nature of Mclean's relationship with her father.
9. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
10. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Mclean's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)