|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mclean tell Riley that she doesn't make friends?
2. Dave tells Mclean that he had had enough credits to go to college after which grade?
3. Who is the basketball player Mclean's mother fell in love with?
4. Why is Mclean unsettled when she sees her mother at the game?
5. Who is Mclean's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
2. What perspective does David give to Mclean when she is upset with her mother and having to go to the basketball game?
3. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
4. What is Mclean's relationship with her parents? What does Mclean blame for her parents' divorce?
5. Riley points out something to Mclean about making friends when she helps Mclean after she injures herself at her locker? What does Riley tell her that surprises Mclean?
6. What changes does Mclean see in her mother when she spots her at the big game?
7. What is the premise of WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE?
8. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
9. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
10. How does Mclean meet Dave and what does she think about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Mclean learns from her mother? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Mclean always recall about lessons from her mother?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mclean's mother. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)