|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. This book is written from the perspective of whom?
2. Dave tells Mclean that his parents are ________________.
3. Whom does Mclean invite to go to the basketball game with her?
4. What is Mclean's last name?
5. Who invites Mclean to eat lunch with some girls at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
2. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
3. What is Mclean's relationship with her parents? What does Mclean blame for her parents' divorce?
4. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
5. Explain the nature of Mclean's relationship with her father.
6. How is Mclean's resistance to playing basketball again and getting to know David symbolic of Mclean's inner turmoil about her life in general?
7. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
8. Riley points out something to Mclean about making friends when she helps Mclean after she injures herself at her locker? What does Riley tell her that surprises Mclean?
9. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
10. Why is Mclean's mother upset when she phones Mclean at the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of David. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)