|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what was Mclean obsessed when she was younger?
2. After whom is McLean named?
3. What is Mclean's last name?
4. What did Mclean and her mother buy when they went on beach vacations before the divorce?
5. Why does Mclean tell Riley that she doesn't make friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mclean know that David was at the Poseidon that night she was so upset and how did that get him into trouble with his parents?
2. What is the premise of WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE?
3. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
4. Riley points out something to Mclean about making friends when she helps Mclean after she injures herself at her locker? What does Riley tell her that surprises Mclean?
5. What does David finally realize about why Mclean is not excited to be at the big game?
6. What do Mclean's parents realize about her moving around so much and what plans do they have for her?
7. Explain the nature of Mclean's relationship with her father.
8. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
9. What does Mclean offer to do in exchange for her mother dropping the new custody arrangement?
10. What gesture has David made toward Mclean regarding the model?
Essay Topic 1
WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)