|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dave tells Mclean that he had had enough credits to go to college after which grade?
2. What does David bring to Mclean on the evening after she injured herself at school?
3. What did Mclean and her mother buy when they went on beach vacations before the divorce?
4. Who is fighting any changes at the restaurant where Mr. Sweet is consulting?
5. Why is David in jeopardy of losing his vacation trip with his friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the cupboards at Mclean's house reveal to David about her life and what does she tell him about her transient lifestyle?
2. Why is Mclean's mother upset when she phones Mclean at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. Riley points out something to Mclean about making friends when she helps Mclean after she injures herself at her locker? What does Riley tell her that surprises Mclean?
4. What is Mclean's relationship with her parents? What does Mclean blame for her parents' divorce?
5. What does David finally realize about why Mclean is not excited to be at the big game?
6. Why is Mclean reluctant to attend the big basketball game in town?
7. What happened that made Mclean feel as if she no longer fit into her mother's world?
8. What is the premise of WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE?
9. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
10. What does Mclean reveal about her mother's background and her parents' relationship later on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Mclean's method of creating a new persona each time she enters a new school. Why does Mclean feel the need to reinvent herself with each move? What is the underlying psychological reason that Mclean creates her different identities?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Opal. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of David. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)