|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Deb comment on at Mclean's house?
2. Why does Mclean's stepfather contact her via computer?
3. Why are Dave's parents upset with him?
4. Mclean has step-siblings who are __________________.
5. Why is Mclean unsettled when she sees her mother at the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the cupboards at Mclean's house reveal to David about her life and what does she tell him about her transient lifestyle?
2. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
3. What is the premise of WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE?
4. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
5. Why is Mclean reluctant to attend the big basketball game in town?
6. How does Mclean meet Dave and what does she think about him?
7. Why is Mclean's mother upset when she phones Mclean at the beginning of Chapter 5?
8. What does Mclean think about when she watches the stars from a party next door one night?
9. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
10. What point of view is the book written in and what does that reveal about Mclean, the main character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,146 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)