|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does a reporter take pictures of Mclean, David and some other kids?
2. Who is Mclean's mother?
3. What community service project is Dave working on?
4. What is one story circulating at school about Mclean's injury?
5. Why does Mclean tell Riley that she doesn't make friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mclean's resistance to playing basketball again and getting to know David symbolic of Mclean's inner turmoil about her life in general?
2. What do the cupboards at Mclean's house reveal to David about her life and what does she tell him about her transient lifestyle?
3. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
4. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
5. What happened that made Mclean feel as if she no longer fit into her mother's world?
6. Explain the nature of Mclean's relationship with her father.
7. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
8. What is revealed about Mclean's transient lifestyle as she views comments on her social networking page?
9. Why is Mclean reluctant to attend the big basketball game in town?
10. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mclean's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of David. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Deb. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)