|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound awakens Mclean at the beginning of Chapter 5?.
2. What does Mclean learn about Dave?
3. Why is David in jeopardy of losing his vacation trip with his friends?
4. What had Mclean's mother given to her when she moved out?
5. Who helps Mclean when she is injured at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it about the model that makes it seem so orderly according to Mclean?
2. When do Mclean and David kiss for the first time?
3. What changes does Mclean see in her mother when she spots her at the big game?
4. What does David finally realize about why Mclean is not excited to be at the big game?
5. What gesture has David made toward Mclean regarding the model?
6. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
7. What point of view is the book written in and what does that reveal about Mclean, the main character?
8. How does Mclean feel about being in this town after living here for two months?
9. How are things looking up for Opal and the restaurant?
10. How does Mclean meet Dave and what does she think about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Mclean learns from her mother? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Mclean always recall about lessons from her mother?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Opal. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 1,524 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)