|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something that upsets Mclean's mother about Mclean's life?
2. Who is Lindsay?
3. Who tries to contact Mclean when she is on the computer?
4. What name does Mclean use when introducing herself to Opal?
5. How does Mclean meet Deb?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Mclean get to stay with Opal even though she was supposed to go live with her mother?
2. What is Mclean's relationship with her parents? What does Mclean blame for her parents' divorce?
3. What good comes out of Mclean's stay at the Poseidon regarding her parents' views of her?
4. What does Mclean learn about why her mother has met with an attorney?
5. Who does the chaotic environment of the restaurant symbolize Mclean's life and which two people are calming influences for her?
6. What does Lindsay do with Mclean's father at the restaurant that flusters Opal and starts to make Mclean feel like she's on shaky ground?
7. How is this trip to the beach different from other trips there for Mclean and her mother?
8. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
9. In what ways does Mclean begin to see her mother in a new light?
10. In what way does Mclean feel that she is taking her mother's place regarding her father?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
What is the greatest lesson Mclean learns from Dave? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Mclean always recall about her feelings about Dave during her time in Lakeview?
This section contains 1,690 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)