|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is visiting her father when Mclean returns home from school in Chapter 8?
2. Who invites Mclean to eat lunch with some girls at school?
3. What is Jason, the restaurant's short order cook, very good at doing?
4. Why does Mclean do all the cooking for her and her father?
5. In how many towns has Mclean lived in two years?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mclean's resistance to playing basketball again and getting to know David symbolic of Mclean's inner turmoil about her life in general?
2. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
3. What changes does Mclean see in her mother when she spots her at the big game?
4. What examples do David and Mclean share with each other when discussing actions and consequences?
5. What is the premise of WHAT HAPPENED TO GOODBYE?
6. Why is Mclean's mother upset when she phones Mclean at the beginning of Chapter 5?
7. What does David finally realize about why Mclean is not excited to be at the big game?
8. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
9. Why is Mclean reluctant to attend the big basketball game in town?
10. What does Mclean think about when she watches the stars from a party next door one night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Opal. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Mclean's relationship with her mother. How does she feel about her even though she has made her life difficult at times? Is the relationship especially difficult because of Mclean's mother's infidelity and the subsequent divorce? How does Mclean's kindness and forgiveness help define their important bond?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Mclean's father. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)