|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mclean's middle name?
2. Who is fighting any changes at the restaurant where Mr. Sweet is consulting?
3. Who helps Mclean when she is injured at school?
4. Which of the following is NOT a name that Mclean has used in different schools she has attended?
5. Who is required to put together Opal's model of the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how the theme of relationships begins to evolve in Chapter 4.
2. What does David tell Mclean about his parents and why they are upset with him?
3. What does Mclean reveal about her mother's background and her parents' relationship later on?
4. What happened that made Mclean feel as if she no longer fit into her mother's world?
5. What do the cupboards at Mclean's house reveal to David about her life and what does she tell him about her transient lifestyle?
6. What changes does Mclean see in her mother when she spots her at the big game?
7. What does Mclean think about when she watches the stars from a party next door one night?
8. Riley points out something to Mclean about making friends when she helps Mclean after she injures herself at her locker? What does Riley tell her that surprises Mclean?
9. Who is Peter and how is his personality revealed more in his request that Mclean go to a game with her mother?
10. Why does Mclean prefer to leave a place without saying goodbye?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Deb. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Opal's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of the search for love. Identify at least two instances about the search for love in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)