|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mclean very happy to see at the restaurant?
2. Why does Mclean become defensive of Opal with her father?
(a) She thinks he is using Opal.
(b) She wants Opal to be her stepmother.
(c) She thinks he will hurt Opal.
(d) She thinks Opal has had a hard life.
3. What does Mclean's father tell her when she comes home from school one day?
(a) He has been fired from his job.
(b) Her mother wants to re-work the custody agreement.
(c) He is going to marry Opal.
(d) They are moving again.
4. What is Chuckles' mood when he shows up at Mclean's house?
(a) Very excited.
5. Chuckles makes many different references to ________________.
(d) New cars.
6. Where does Mclean go when she wants to think?
(a) The cellar.
(b) Her room.
(d) An oak tree.
7. What does Mclean do with her stepsister and stepbrother while her mother unloads the car at the beach house?
(a) Tucks them in bed.
(b) Feeds them supper.
(c) Gives them a bath.
(d) Takes them to the water.
8. What does Mclean tell David about regarding life in a restaurant?
(a) The free food she gets.
(b) She hates waiting tables.
(c) How she has to wash dishes all the time.
(d) The difficulties of being an owner.
9. Mclean learns that home isn't actually a specific location, it is ________________________.
(a) A fairy tale.
(b) A joke.
(c) A state of mind.
(d) Being with people you love.
10. What had Mclean's parents not realized about her?
(a) She is in love with David.
(b) She has had a lot of stress since their divorce.
(c) She is thinking of changing majors.
(d) She wants to live with her mother.
11. Whom does Gus begin to date?
12. What does Mclean tell David that she is having for dinner?
(c) Pork chops.
(d) Meat Loaf.
13. When Mclean hears her father yelling in the restaurant, she knows that ___________________.
(a) He is firing somebody.
(b) He has burned himself.
(c) He is angry at her.
(d) He can't get his car to start.
14. Mclean learns that her mother had not been talking about her at the beach house, but rather about _______________.
(a) A dress she wanted to return.
(b) A party she didn't want to have.
(c) A fight she had with her husband.
(d) Her lawyer's advice.
15. What does Mclean learn about the prep cook at the restaurant?
(a) He has five kids.
(b) He can sing opera.
(c) He once attended Harvard.
(d) He used to be a jockey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mclean offer to do if her mother will drop the legal action?
2. David tells Mclean the story behind his ________________.
3. What usually happens before Mclean and her father leave a place?
4. Why is Gus pleased about the inclement weather?
5. Who asks Mclean what she is going to do since the restaurant is closing?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)