|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kills Ann in Chris' dream?
2. What is in the crater they encounter?
3. What is Ann's response when Chris outright tells her that he is her husband?
4. Who agrees to help create a connection with Ann?
5. What happens if a child is born dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
2. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
3. How does Chris next try to make a connection and what is the result?
4. What does Chris do to try to make a connection with Ann and what is her response?
5. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
6. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
7. What does Albert say about Hell?
8. What happens to those who commit suicide?
9. What happens to Chris when he is tricked by a gang of men in the Lower Realm?
10. Has Albert ever been in the Lower Realms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is still a great deal of human frailty and foibles in Summerland. Summerland is a place where souls that dwell there must grow, face their problems and solve them, and must not see their reflections in mirrors for fear of losing heart at their imperfections. Discuss the following:
1. If the only way a soul can see its imperfections is in a mirror, which is why there are no mirrors, then how does a soul know what its imperfections are?
2. How can a mirror reflect spiritual imperfections? Do you think the implication is that the body one creates to "wear" in Summerland reflects one's spiritual imperfections?
3. How would you feel if when you looked into a mirror you not only saw your physical body (and its imperfections as you perceive them), but also saw your emotional/spiritual imperfections? Would you look in a mirror less or more than you do now?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Ann agrees to a séance with Perry. It starts out find, but then ends badly. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and then analyze the entire séance scene.
2. Discuss the paranormal, particularly mediumship and give your response to the subject.
3. How do you think things would have changed for Ann if she had seen Chris and believed he still existed somewhere? Discuss thoroughly with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Many people believe that dogs and other animals can sense things beyond the five senses better than humans. Discuss the following:
1. How does Ginger behave towards Chris while she is still in the physical and Chris has died? Does her change in attitude from the first time Chris sees her and is welcomed to later seem logical?
2. How does Ginger behave towards Chris when she is in Summerland? Does this seem logical?
3. Katie, a dog that Chris and Ann had for many years, greets Chris in Summerland. Do you believe animals are in the spirit world? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)