|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the inhabitants attack Chris?
2. How does Chris try to get Ann to see her new life?
3. How does Chris' posture change?
4. As the atmosphere worsens, what happens to Chris' thoughts and behavior?
5. What does Ann say she would do if she had the courage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chris next try to make a connection and what is the result?
2. What does Chris realize about Ann's view of her situation?
3. What crosses in front of Chris on the driveway of Ann's home in Hell and what might be the symbolism of the scene?
4. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
5. How does Chris have a third vision of Ann and what is the significance of the vision?
6. What does Albert say about Hell?
7. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
8. What is the result of Chris having a grateful attitude?
9. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
10. Who does Chris see in Summerland and what is the outcome? Do you think it seems likely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this story centers around obsession. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Chris's obsession for helping Ann throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
2. Trace and analyze Ann's obsession about Chris throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
3. What lessons can be learned for your own life in looking at how obsession manifests and impacts people in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Many people believe that dogs and other animals can sense things beyond the five senses better than humans. Discuss the following:
1. How does Ginger behave towards Chris while she is still in the physical and Chris has died? Does her change in attitude from the first time Chris sees her and is welcomed to later seem logical?
2. How does Ginger behave towards Chris when she is in Summerland? Does this seem logical?
3. Katie, a dog that Chris and Ann had for many years, greets Chris in Summerland. Do you believe animals are in the spirit world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Albert's home, Chris notices the screenplays he wrote while in the physical on Earth. Chris regrets that his screenplays were not of a less violent or horrific nature. Discuss the following:
1. If Chris had wanted to write different screen plays while on Earth, then he probably would have. What do you think kept him from doing so?
2. If life is meant to be experienced fully, what is wrong with Chris' screenplays exploring themes of life as it is on Earth in reality?
3. If one strives to create heaven on earth, then why have two separate planes of existence?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)