|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the one place called Hell?
2. Who is with Ann?
3. What does Ann want from Chris?
4. In what does Ann still refuse to believe?
5. Why can these people not see Chris and Albert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to those who commit suicide?
2. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
3. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
4. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
5. Has Albert ever been in the Lower Realms?
6. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
7. What does Chris realize about Ann's view of her situation?
8. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
9. Where is Chris at the opening to Chapter 36 and what has he accomplished?
10. What does Chris do to try to make a connection with Ann and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Introduction, a clairvoyant has gone to the home of the protagonist's brother, Robert, to deliver a manuscript she claims Robert's deceased brother, Chris, dictated to her from the spirit realm. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Matheson chooses to frame his novel with the story about the clairvoyant and the manuscript?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of framing the story this way?
Do you think the frame device is the most effective way to tell Chris's story? Why or why not?
What is another way Matheson could have structured the story? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that way?
Essay Topic 2
Chris is introduced to the Hall of Literature, a perfect library where they can talk without disturbing anyone. Works of literature and art are present in their most perfect form. As Leona explains it, the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Leona means when she says the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal?
2. If art on Earth is a mere imitation of the same art in Summerland (or Heaven), why should one even try to produce art on Earth? Discuss with examples.
3. Chris desires to write new, uplifting screen plays. Will his work while he is in Summerland be in its most perfect form? What would be the challenge in writing it if that is so?
Essay Topic 3
Much of this story centers around obsession. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Chris's obsession for helping Ann throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
2. Trace and analyze Ann's obsession about Chris throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
3. What lessons can be learned for your own life in looking at how obsession manifests and impacts people in this story?
This section contains 1,321 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)