|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ann actually die?
2. Why does Albert warn Chris that it will be nearly impossible to help Ann?
3. What is Chris finally successful in doing?
4. What keeps Ann from making a connection with Chris?
5. What happens to one's memories after reincarnation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a clichÃ© that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Chris separates from his body and his life flashes before his eyes in reverse from 1974 to 1927 in a blur of images. Then, later in Chapter 4, Chris has a comprehensive review of his life and actions, this time slowly and with great clarity. Discuss the following:
What do you think is the purpose of Chris' life flashing past his mind in Chapter 1?
What do you think is the purpose of the comprehensive review in Chapter 4?
Who judges Chris' life? Do you think this is a good way to conduct and after-death judgment?
What judgment is rendered about Chris' life?
Essay Topic 3
Many people believe that dogs and other animals can sense things beyond the five senses better than humans. Discuss the following:
1. How does Ginger behave towards Chris while she is still in the physical and Chris has died? Does her change in attitude from the first time Chris sees her and is welcomed to later seem logical?
2. How does Ginger behave towards Chris when she is in Summerland? Does this seem logical?
3. Katie, a dog that Chris and Ann had for many years, greets Chris in Summerland. Do you believe animals are in the spirit world? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,955 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)