|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ian believe?
2. What does Ann say she would do if she had the courage?
3. How does Ann actually die?
4. Why are his aunt and uncle the way they are?
5. What happens to one's memories after reincarnation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
2. What happens to Chris when he is tricked by a gang of men in the Lower Realm?
3. What could Ann have done differently on Earth following the death of Chris which would have not resulted in her being where she is?
4. What crosses in front of Chris on the driveway of Ann's home in Hell and what might be the symbolism of the scene?
5. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
6. Once Chris decides he will reincarnate soon, what does he have to learn first?
7. Who does Chris see in Summerland and what is the outcome? Do you think it seems likely?
8. What does Chris decide to do about Ann and how does Ian's belief offer some possibility of success?
9. What happens to those who commit suicide?
10. Where is Chris at the opening to Chapter 36 and what has he accomplished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Chris to Albert.
Thoroughly analyze Ann's character and discuss why you think she ends up in the lower realms.
Discuss four of the minor characters and how they contribute to the story. Could they be left out without impacting the story overly much?
Essay Topic 2
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a cliché that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
Essay Topic 3
When Chris finally lets go, he finds a feeling of peace. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think letting go resulted in peace for Chris?
2. Do you think letting go and finding peace is a metaphor for some aspects of life?
3. How does Ann finally "let go"?
This section contains 1,506 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)