|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ann tells Chris the answer to his last question, what does Chris do?
2. What is one realization Chris has in Summerland?
3. What is Ann's response when Chris outright tells her that he is her husband?
4. How man years are typically spent in afterlife before the rebirth process?
5. For what details about Ann's husband does Chris ask?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
2. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
3. What does Albert say about Hell?
4. What happens to Chris when he is tricked by a gang of men in the Lower Realm?
5. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
6. What crosses in front of Chris on the driveway of Ann's home in Hell and what might be the symbolism of the scene?
7. How does Chris use gratitude to help his frame of mind and to reach out again to Ann?
8. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
9. How does Chris next try to make a connection and what is the result?
10. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Introduction, a clairvoyant has gone to the home of the protagonist's brother, Robert, to deliver a manuscript she claims Robert's deceased brother, Chris, dictated to her from the spirit realm. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Matheson chooses to frame his novel with the story about the clairvoyant and the manuscript?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of framing the story this way?
Do you think the frame device is the most effective way to tell Chris's story? Why or why not?
What is another way Matheson could have structured the story? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that way?
Essay Topic 2
Chris learns that Albert keeps track of certain family members who have died; that families do not have the same ties in Summerland as they do on earth. Discuss the following:
1. How does Chris react when he learns that relationships in Summerland (Heaven) are similar as on Earth?
2. Do you think relationships would be different from or similar to the way one's relationships are on Earth (assume for the moment that there is life after death, even if you do not believe it)?
3. Even though relationships in Summerland are similar to that on Earth, do you think Chris could change the relationship with his father if Chris wanted to? What about if the father is unwilling?
Essay Topic 3
Many people believe that dogs and other animals can sense things beyond the five senses better than humans. Discuss the following:
1. How does Ginger behave towards Chris while she is still in the physical and Chris has died? Does her change in attitude from the first time Chris sees her and is welcomed to later seem logical?
2. How does Ginger behave towards Chris when she is in Summerland? Does this seem logical?
3. Katie, a dog that Chris and Ann had for many years, greets Chris in Summerland. Do you believe animals are in the spirit world? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)