Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to one's memories after reincarnation?
2. What does Ian believe?
3. What keeps Ann from making a connection with Chris?
4. How does Ann's house appear to Chris as he approaches it?
5. Why does Ginger growl at Chris?
Essay Topic 1
Often someone who is dying will suddenly die when a loved one has left the room momentarily. Many believe that the grief of the loved one holds the person there and it is only when that loved one is out of the room that the person "slips away." Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a loved one can hinder a person from dying? Explain fully.
2. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a dying person can hinder the person from letting go and dying? Explain fully.
3. How do you think is the most positive way a loved one can act when holding a bedside vigil of a dying person?
4. Do you think Ann acted in ways that made it easy for Chris to leave his body?
Essay Topic 2
In the Introduction, a clairvoyant has gone to the home of the protagonist's brother, Robert, to deliver a manuscript she claims Robert's deceased brother, Chris, dictated to her from the spirit realm. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Matheson chooses to frame his novel with the story about the clairvoyant and the manuscript?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of framing the story this way?
Do you think the frame device is the most effective way to tell Chris's story? Why or why not?
What is another way Matheson could have structured the story? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that way?
Essay Topic 3
When Chris finally lets go, he finds a feeling of peace. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think letting go resulted in peace for Chris?
2. Do you think letting go and finding peace is a metaphor for some aspects of life?
3. How does Ann finally "let go"?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)