|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Ann from making a connection with Chris?
2. What is Ann's initial gratitude replaced with after Chris gets rid of the creature?
3. How does Ann actually die?
4. What does Ann say when Chris says he is her husband?
5. What type of emotional atmosphere is there?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chris decide where and with whom to reincarnate?
2. What does Albert say about Hell?
3. What happens to those who commit suicide?
4. Has Albert ever been in the Lower Realms?
5. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
6. What does Chris decide to do about Ann and how does Ian's belief offer some possibility of success?
7. Where is Chris at the opening to Chapter 36 and what has he accomplished?
8. What is the process of incarnation/reincarnation that souls go through?
9. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
10. What does Chris do to try to make a connection with Ann and what is her response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often someone who is dying will suddenly die when a loved one has left the room momentarily. Many believe that the grief of the loved one holds the person there and it is only when that loved one is out of the room that the person "slips away." Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a loved one can hinder a person from dying? Explain fully.
2. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a dying person can hinder the person from letting go and dying? Explain fully.
3. How do you think is the most positive way a loved one can act when holding a bedside vigil of a dying person?
4. Do you think Ann acted in ways that made it easy for Chris to leave his body?
Essay Topic 2
There is still a great deal of human frailty and foibles in Summerland. Summerland is a place where souls that dwell there must grow, face their problems and solve them, and must not see their reflections in mirrors for fear of losing heart at their imperfections. Discuss the following:
1. If the only way a soul can see its imperfections is in a mirror, which is why there are no mirrors, then how does a soul know what its imperfections are?
2. How can a mirror reflect spiritual imperfections? Do you think the implication is that the body one creates to "wear" in Summerland reflects one's spiritual imperfections?
3. How would you feel if when you looked into a mirror you not only saw your physical body (and its imperfections as you perceive them), but also saw your emotional/spiritual imperfections? Would you look in a mirror less or more than you do now?
Essay Topic 3
When Chris finally lets go, he finds a feeling of peace. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think letting go resulted in peace for Chris?
2. Do you think letting go and finding peace is a metaphor for some aspects of life?
3. How does Ann finally "let go"?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)