|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Ann?
2. What does Albert believe about Chris and Ann?
3. What happens each time Chris tries to make a connection?
4. Why is Chris angry at Albert?
5. What keeps Ann from making a connection with Chris?
Essay Topic 1
In the first couple chapters, it is obvious to the reader that Chris has died, yet Chris has not yet realized this fact. Discuss the following:
What are some of the clues that should relay to Chris the fact that he is dead?
Why do you think Chris gets angry at the voice that tells him not to fight dying?
Why do you think he ignores those clues?
What does Chris believe about himself in Chapters 1 and 2? Is there any basis for this belief?
Essay Topic 2
Chris is introduced to the Hall of Literature, a perfect library where they can talk without disturbing anyone. Works of literature and art are present in their most perfect form. As Leona explains it, the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Leona means when she says the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal?
2. If art on Earth is a mere imitation of the same art in Summerland (or Heaven), why should one even try to produce art on Earth? Discuss with examples.
3. Chris desires to write new, uplifting screen plays. Will his work while he is in Summerland be in its most perfect form? What would be the challenge in writing it if that is so?
Essay Topic 3
Chris learns that Albert keeps track of certain family members who have died; that families do not have the same ties in Summerland as they do on earth. Discuss the following:
1. How does Chris react when he learns that relationships in Summerland (Heaven) are similar as on Earth?
2. Do you think relationships would be different from or similar to the way one's relationships are on Earth (assume for the moment that there is life after death, even if you do not believe it)?
3. Even though relationships in Summerland are similar to that on Earth, do you think Chris could change the relationship with his father if Chris wanted to? What about if the father is unwilling?
This section contains 1,951 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)