|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ann actually die?
2. What is one realization Chris has in Summerland?
3. What do the damned do in the vacuum of Hell?
4. How does Chris try to convince Ann that he is her husband?
5. What does Albert believe about Ann's suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to those who commit suicide?
2. What happens to Chris when he is tricked by a gang of men in the Lower Realm?
3. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
4. How does Chris react to the knowledge of Ann's suicide?
5. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
6. Once Chris decides he will reincarnate soon, what does he have to learn first?
7. What could Ann have done differently on Earth following the death of Chris which would have not resulted in her being where she is?
8. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
9. How does Chris decide where and with whom to reincarnate?
10. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is still a great deal of human frailty and foibles in Summerland. Summerland is a place where souls that dwell there must grow, face their problems and solve them, and must not see their reflections in mirrors for fear of losing heart at their imperfections. Discuss the following:
1. If the only way a soul can see its imperfections is in a mirror, which is why there are no mirrors, then how does a soul know what its imperfections are?
2. How can a mirror reflect spiritual imperfections? Do you think the implication is that the body one creates to "wear" in Summerland reflects one's spiritual imperfections?
3. How would you feel if when you looked into a mirror you not only saw your physical body (and its imperfections as you perceive them), but also saw your emotional/spiritual imperfections? Would you look in a mirror less or more than you do now?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this story centers around obsession. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Chris's obsession for helping Ann throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
2. Trace and analyze Ann's obsession about Chris throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
3. What lessons can be learned for your own life in looking at how obsession manifests and impacts people in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols and metaphors are usually present in most fiction, particularly one that has both a message and is set in imaginary worlds. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think a novel set in imaginary worlds would rely upon symbolism and metaphors? Give examples to support your rationale.
2. Trace and analyze three of the most significant symbols in the novel.
3. Trace and analyze two of the most significant metaphors in the novel.
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)