|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ann's house appear to Chris as he approaches it?
2. Why does Albert go to the Lower Realms?
3. What does Albert believe about Chris and Ann?
4. For what details about Ann's husband does Chris ask?
5. What does Albert propose to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Chris when he is tricked by a gang of men in the Lower Realm?
2. What does Chris do to try to make a connection with Ann and what is her response?
3. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
4. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
5. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
6. Can there be any type of communication between souls in Summerland and those on Earth?
7. How does Chris react to the knowledge of Ann's suicide?
8. How does Chris have a third vision of Ann and what is the significance of the vision?
9. How does Chris decide where and with whom to reincarnate?
10. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Albert's home, Chris notices the screenplays he wrote while in the physical on Earth. Chris regrets that his screenplays were not of a less violent or horrific nature. Discuss the following:
1. If Chris had wanted to write different screen plays while on Earth, then he probably would have. What do you think kept him from doing so?
2. If life is meant to be experienced fully, what is wrong with Chris' screenplays exploring themes of life as it is on Earth in reality?
3. If one strives to create heaven on earth, then why have two separate planes of existence?
Essay Topic 2
There are three settings in this novel: Earth, Summerland and the Lower Realms. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Summerland to Earth.
2. Compare/contrast Summerland to the Lower Realms.
3. Compare/contrast the Lower Realms to Earth.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Chris separates from his body and his life flashes before his eyes in reverse from 1974 to 1927 in a blur of images. Then, later in Chapter 4, Chris has a comprehensive review of his life and actions, this time slowly and with great clarity. Discuss the following:
What do you think is the purpose of Chris' life flashing past his mind in Chapter 1?
What do you think is the purpose of the comprehensive review in Chapter 4?
Who judges Chris' life? Do you think this is a good way to conduct and after-death judgment?
What judgment is rendered about Chris' life?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)