|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees to help create a connection with Ann?
2. Where is Chris at the opening of Chapter 36?
3. How does Chris react to Ann's death?
4. How does Chris feel while trying to connect with Ann?
5. What does Albert believe about Ann's suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
2. Once Chris decides he will reincarnate soon, what does he have to learn first?
3. Where is Chris at the opening to Chapter 36 and what has he accomplished?
4. What do you think it means when Chris says he is realizing there is so much more than what the limited human mind can conceive?
5. Can there be any type of communication between souls in Summerland and those on Earth?
6. What is the result of Chris having a grateful attitude?
7. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
8. How does Chris have a third vision of Ann and what is the significance of the vision?
9. How does Chris next try to make a connection and what is the result?
10. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Ann agrees to a séance with Perry. It starts out find, but then ends badly. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and then analyze the entire séance scene.
2. Discuss the paranormal, particularly mediumship and give your response to the subject.
3. How do you think things would have changed for Ann if she had seen Chris and believed he still existed somewhere? Discuss thoroughly with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Symbols and metaphors are usually present in most fiction, particularly one that has both a message and is set in imaginary worlds. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think a novel set in imaginary worlds would rely upon symbolism and metaphors? Give examples to support your rationale.
2. Trace and analyze three of the most significant symbols in the novel.
3. Trace and analyze two of the most significant metaphors in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Chris learns that everyone has a "job" in Summerland, usually of their own choice. Discuss the following:
1. What is Albert's job and how does he carry it out?
2. What does Chris think he will do for a job? Do you think he makes a good choice? Why or why not?
3. If you were in Summerland and had to choose a job, what would it be and why?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)