|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ann's initial gratitude replaced with after Chris gets rid of the creature?
2. How does Ann's house appear to Chris as he approaches it?
3. What has Chris' sacrifice done?
4. Where is Ann?
5. Where is Chris at the opening of Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
2. What could Ann have done differently on Earth following the death of Chris which would have not resulted in her being where she is?
3. What happens to Chris when he is tricked by a gang of men in the Lower Realm?
4. How does Chris have a third vision of Ann and what is the significance of the vision?
5. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
6. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
7. Who does Chris see in Summerland and what is the outcome? Do you think it seems likely?
8. How does Chris next try to make a connection and what is the result?
9. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
10. What does Chris decide to do about Ann and how does Ian's belief offer some possibility of success?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 5, Ann agrees to a séance with Perry. It starts out find, but then ends badly. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and then analyze the entire séance scene.
2. Discuss the paranormal, particularly mediumship and give your response to the subject.
3. How do you think things would have changed for Ann if she had seen Chris and believed he still existed somewhere? Discuss thoroughly with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
There is still a great deal of human frailty and foibles in Summerland. Summerland is a place where souls that dwell there must grow, face their problems and solve them, and must not see their reflections in mirrors for fear of losing heart at their imperfections. Discuss the following:
1. If the only way a soul can see its imperfections is in a mirror, which is why there are no mirrors, then how does a soul know what its imperfections are?
2. How can a mirror reflect spiritual imperfections? Do you think the implication is that the body one creates to "wear" in Summerland reflects one's spiritual imperfections?
3. How would you feel if when you looked into a mirror you not only saw your physical body (and its imperfections as you perceive them), but also saw your emotional/spiritual imperfections? Would you look in a mirror less or more than you do now?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 1, Chris separates from his body and his life flashes before his eyes in reverse from 1974 to 1927 in a blur of images. Then, later in Chapter 4, Chris has a comprehensive review of his life and actions, this time slowly and with great clarity. Discuss the following:
What do you think is the purpose of Chris' life flashing past his mind in Chapter 1?
What do you think is the purpose of the comprehensive review in Chapter 4?
Who judges Chris' life? Do you think this is a good way to conduct and after-death judgment?
What judgment is rendered about Chris' life?
This section contains 1,582 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)