|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chris say about his house?
2. What does Ann say when Chris says he is her husband?
3. What happens each time Chris tries to make a connection?
4. Of what does Albert warn Chris?
5. How does Ann's house appear to Chris as he approaches it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the result of Chris having a grateful attitude?
2. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
3. Where is Chris at the opening to Chapter 36 and what has he accomplished?
4. Can there be any type of communication between souls in Summerland and those on Earth?
5. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
6. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
7. What does Albert say about Hell?
8. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
9. What is the process of incarnation/reincarnation that souls go through?
10. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Chris separates from his body and his life flashes before his eyes in reverse from 1974 to 1927 in a blur of images. Then, later in Chapter 4, Chris has a comprehensive review of his life and actions, this time slowly and with great clarity. Discuss the following:
What do you think is the purpose of Chris' life flashing past his mind in Chapter 1?
What do you think is the purpose of the comprehensive review in Chapter 4?
Who judges Chris' life? Do you think this is a good way to conduct and after-death judgment?
What judgment is rendered about Chris' life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Ann agrees to a séance with Perry. It starts out find, but then ends badly. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and then analyze the entire séance scene.
2. Discuss the paranormal, particularly mediumship and give your response to the subject.
3. How do you think things would have changed for Ann if she had seen Chris and believed he still existed somewhere? Discuss thoroughly with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
There is still a great deal of human frailty and foibles in Summerland. Summerland is a place where souls that dwell there must grow, face their problems and solve them, and must not see their reflections in mirrors for fear of losing heart at their imperfections. Discuss the following:
1. If the only way a soul can see its imperfections is in a mirror, which is why there are no mirrors, then how does a soul know what its imperfections are?
2. How can a mirror reflect spiritual imperfections? Do you think the implication is that the body one creates to "wear" in Summerland reflects one's spiritual imperfections?
3. How would you feel if when you looked into a mirror you not only saw your physical body (and its imperfections as you perceive them), but also saw your emotional/spiritual imperfections? Would you look in a mirror less or more than you do now?
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)