|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Albert warn Chris that it will be nearly impossible to help Ann?
2. For what details about Ann's husband does Chris ask?
3. How does Chris feel while trying to connect with Ann?
4. Of what does Albert warn Chris?
5. Who agrees to help create a connection with Ann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
2. Has Albert ever been in the Lower Realms?
3. What is the process of incarnation/reincarnation that souls go through?
4. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
5. What crosses in front of Chris on the driveway of Ann's home in Hell and what might be the symbolism of the scene?
6. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
7. What is the result of Chris having a grateful attitude?
8. Where is Chris at the opening to Chapter 36 and what has he accomplished?
9. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
10. Once Chris decides he will reincarnate soon, what does he have to learn first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is still a great deal of human frailty and foibles in Summerland. Summerland is a place where souls that dwell there must grow, face their problems and solve them, and must not see their reflections in mirrors for fear of losing heart at their imperfections. Discuss the following:
1. If the only way a soul can see its imperfections is in a mirror, which is why there are no mirrors, then how does a soul know what its imperfections are?
2. How can a mirror reflect spiritual imperfections? Do you think the implication is that the body one creates to "wear" in Summerland reflects one's spiritual imperfections?
3. How would you feel if when you looked into a mirror you not only saw your physical body (and its imperfections as you perceive them), but also saw your emotional/spiritual imperfections? Would you look in a mirror less or more than you do now?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Chris to Albert.
Thoroughly analyze Ann's character and discuss why you think she ends up in the lower realms.
Discuss four of the minor characters and how they contribute to the story. Could they be left out without impacting the story overly much?
Essay Topic 3
Often someone who is dying will suddenly die when a loved one has left the room momentarily. Many believe that the grief of the loved one holds the person there and it is only when that loved one is out of the room that the person "slips away." Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a loved one can hinder a person from dying? Explain fully.
2. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a dying person can hinder the person from letting go and dying? Explain fully.
3. How do you think is the most positive way a loved one can act when holding a bedside vigil of a dying person?
4. Do you think Ann acted in ways that made it easy for Chris to leave his body?
This section contains 1,433 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)