|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris define heaven?
2. How is the realm organized that Chris and Albert enter?
3. How does Ann's house appear to Chris as he approaches it?
4. What does Ann say she would do if she had the courage?
5. What has Chris' sacrifice done?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the process of incarnation/reincarnation that souls go through?
2. How does Chris next try to make a connection and what is the result?
3. What could Ann have done differently on Earth following the death of Chris which would have not resulted in her being where she is?
4. What does Albert say about Hell?
5. How does Chris decide where and with whom to reincarnate?
6. What crosses in front of Chris on the driveway of Ann's home in Hell and what might be the symbolism of the scene?
7. Has Albert ever been in the Lower Realms?
8. How does Chris react to the knowledge of Ann's suicide?
9. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
10. Do you think what Chris is describing is what you would imagine Hell to be like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbols and metaphors are usually present in most fiction, particularly one that has both a message and is set in imaginary worlds. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think a novel set in imaginary worlds would rely upon symbolism and metaphors? Give examples to support your rationale.
2. Trace and analyze three of the most significant symbols in the novel.
3. Trace and analyze two of the most significant metaphors in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a cliché that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 9, Albert explains that thoughts are real. Discuss the following:
1. How do both Chris and Ann manifest their thoughts/emotions in Summerland and the Lower Realms?
2. If you believed thoughts are real and through your thoughts you created what you have here on Earth, would you do things differently than you do now?
3. How would you control your negative thoughts so as not to produce unwanted manifestations?
This section contains 1,249 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)