|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confounds Chris about the city he visits?
2. Where does Chris see Ian trying to comfort Ann?
3. How does Chris staying in the Lower Realms help Ann?
4. What does Chris do when a voice tells him not to fight dying?
5. Why does Chris no longer feel pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can Albert do and how would you feel about that?
2. What is the main thing that bothers Chris about his death and subsequent life in Summerland?
3. Who does it seem that Chris can make some sort of connection with and who can he not seem to reach and why?
4. What is the paradox about Ann and her wish to see Chris at Perry's seance?
5. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
6. What does Perry do that keeps Chris from actually communicating any further and why do you think Perry does this?
7. Who greets Chris and what do you think of the situation?
8. What sort of judgment day is there for Chris and who is the "judge"?
9. Why does Chris lie down at his home and does this make sense to you?
10. What do you think about what Albert tells Chris about thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is still a great deal of human frailty and foibles in Summerland. Summerland is a place where souls that dwell there must grow, face their problems and solve them, and must not see their reflections in mirrors for fear of losing heart at their imperfections. Discuss the following:
1. If the only way a soul can see its imperfections is in a mirror, which is why there are no mirrors, then how does a soul know what its imperfections are?
2. How can a mirror reflect spiritual imperfections? Do you think the implication is that the body one creates to "wear" in Summerland reflects one's spiritual imperfections?
3. How would you feel if when you looked into a mirror you not only saw your physical body (and its imperfections as you perceive them), but also saw your emotional/spiritual imperfections? Would you look in a mirror less or more than you do now?
Essay Topic 2
When Chris finally lets go, he finds a feeling of peace. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think letting go resulted in peace for Chris?
2. Do you think letting go and finding peace is a metaphor for some aspects of life?
3. How does Ann finally "let go"?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols and metaphors are usually present in most fiction, particularly one that has both a message and is set in imaginary worlds. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think a novel set in imaginary worlds would rely upon symbolism and metaphors? Give examples to support your rationale.
2. Trace and analyze three of the most significant symbols in the novel.
3. Trace and analyze two of the most significant metaphors in the novel.
This section contains 1,255 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)