|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Chris bound to Ann?
2. What bothers Chris about Summerland?
3. What does the house look like that Chris sees?
4. What is Chris' greatest need?
5. What is the atmosphere like in Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
2. Who greets Chris and what do you think of the situation?
3. What is the result of Chris having a grateful attitude?
4. How does Perry explain about why Chris lingers on the Earth plane for so long and the negative emotions Chris experiences?
5. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
6. What happens to Chris when he is tricked by a gang of men in the Lower Realm?
7. What might give Chris hope for Ann for after she dies?
8. Describe Chris' experience in the hospital when his soul first leaves his body.
9. What is ironic about Ann's response to Chris when he asks her about her husband?
10. Where is Chris at the opening to Chapter 36 and what has he accomplished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann commits suicide and thus ends up in the Lower Realms, which represent Hell. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think suicide causes people to go to hell? Does that seem loving?
2. Do you think it is God or the person him/herself that causes the person to end up in Hell?
3. What do you think should happen to people who commit suicide?
Essay Topic 2
In Albert's home, Chris notices the screenplays he wrote while in the physical on Earth. Chris regrets that his screenplays were not of a less violent or horrific nature. Discuss the following:
1. If Chris had wanted to write different screen plays while on Earth, then he probably would have. What do you think kept him from doing so?
2. If life is meant to be experienced fully, what is wrong with Chris' screenplays exploring themes of life as it is on Earth in reality?
3. If one strives to create heaven on earth, then why have two separate planes of existence?
Essay Topic 3
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a clichÃ© that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
This section contains 3,046 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)