|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Chris leave his wife?
2. What does Chris want to do?
3. Who judges the individual?
4. How can Albert help Chris?
5. When is Ann to join Chris in Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Leona take Chris and why can't he seem to enjoy it?
2. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
3. Why do you think Chris keeps staying around the Earth plane when it is so frustrating and sad to see Ann's grief?
4. What does the man who seems to have substance tell Chris?
5. What does Chris learn at the Office of Records and how does he react? Why do you think he reacts in such a way?
6. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
7. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
8. Describe Chris' experience in the hospital when his soul first leaves his body.
9. When Chris follows the sounds of Ann's sobbing, where does he end up?
10. What does Chris realize about his and Albert's conversation and what is the implication of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many people believe that dogs and other animals can sense things beyond the five senses better than humans. Discuss the following:
1. How does Ginger behave towards Chris while she is still in the physical and Chris has died? Does her change in attitude from the first time Chris sees her and is welcomed to later seem logical?
2. How does Ginger behave towards Chris when she is in Summerland? Does this seem logical?
3. Katie, a dog that Chris and Ann had for many years, greets Chris in Summerland. Do you believe animals are in the spirit world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this story centers around obsession. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Chris's obsession for helping Ann throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
2. Trace and analyze Ann's obsession about Chris throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
3. What lessons can be learned for your own life in looking at how obsession manifests and impacts people in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Chris learns that Albert keeps track of certain family members who have died; that families do not have the same ties in Summerland as they do on earth. Discuss the following:
1. How does Chris react when he learns that relationships in Summerland (Heaven) are similar as on Earth?
2. Do you think relationships would be different from or similar to the way one's relationships are on Earth (assume for the moment that there is life after death, even if you do not believe it)?
3. Even though relationships in Summerland are similar to that on Earth, do you think Chris could change the relationship with his father if Chris wanted to? What about if the father is unwilling?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)