Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Chris visit?
2. To where does Chris follow Ann?
3. How can Albert help Chris?
4. Where does Chris awaken?
5. What raiment does Albert don?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
2. What could Ann have done differently on Earth following the death of Chris which would have not resulted in her being where she is?
3. What do you think it means when Chris says he is realizing there is so much more than what the limited human mind can conceive?
4. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
5. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
6. What does Chris do to try to make a connection with Ann and what is her response?
7. Once Chris decides he will reincarnate soon, what does he have to learn first?
8. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
9. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
10. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
Essay Topic 1
In the Introduction, a clairvoyant has gone to the home of the protagonist's brother, Robert, to deliver a manuscript she claims Robert's deceased brother, Chris, dictated to her from the spirit realm. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Matheson chooses to frame his novel with the story about the clairvoyant and the manuscript?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of framing the story this way?
Do you think the frame device is the most effective way to tell Chris's story? Why or why not?
What is another way Matheson could have structured the story? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that way?
Essay Topic 2
Many people believe that dogs and other animals can sense things beyond the five senses better than humans. Discuss the following:
1. How does Ginger behave towards Chris while she is still in the physical and Chris has died? Does her change in attitude from the first time Chris sees her and is welcomed to later seem logical?
2. How does Ginger behave towards Chris when she is in Summerland? Does this seem logical?
3. Katie, a dog that Chris and Ann had for many years, greets Chris in Summerland. Do you believe animals are in the spirit world? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Chris is introduced to the Hall of Literature, a perfect library where they can talk without disturbing anyone. Works of literature and art are present in their most perfect form. As Leona explains it, the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Leona means when she says the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal?
2. If art on Earth is a mere imitation of the same art in Summerland (or Heaven), why should one even try to produce art on Earth? Discuss with examples.
3. Chris desires to write new, uplifting screen plays. Will his work while he is in Summerland be in its most perfect form? What would be the challenge in writing it if that is so?
This section contains 1,611 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)