Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Chris visit?
2. To where does Chris follow Ann?
3. How can Albert help Chris?
4. Where does Chris awaken?
5. What raiment does Albert don?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
2. What could Ann have done differently on Earth following the death of Chris which would have not resulted in her being where she is?
3. What do you think it means when Chris says he is realizing there is so much more than what the limited human mind can conceive?
4. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
5. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
6. What does Chris do to try to make a connection with Ann and what is her response?
7. Once Chris decides he will reincarnate soon, what does he have to learn first?
8. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
9. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
10. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
Essay Topic 1
Often someone who is dying will suddenly die when a loved one has left the room momentarily. Many believe that the grief of the loved one holds the person there and it is only when that loved one is out of the room that the person "slips away." Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a loved one can hinder a person from dying? Explain fully.
2. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a dying person can hinder the person from letting go and dying? Explain fully.
3. How do you think is the most positive way a loved one can act when holding a bedside vigil of a dying person?
4. Do you think Ann acted in ways that made it easy for Chris to leave his body?
Essay Topic 2
In the Introduction, a clairvoyant has gone to the home of the protagonist's brother, Robert, to deliver a manuscript she claims Robert's deceased brother, Chris, dictated to her from the spirit realm. Discuss the following:
Why do you think Matheson chooses to frame his novel with the story about the clairvoyant and the manuscript?
What are the advantages and disadvantages of framing the story this way?
Do you think the frame device is the most effective way to tell Chris's story? Why or why not?
What is another way Matheson could have structured the story? What would be the advantages and disadvantages of that way?
Essay Topic 3
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a clichÃ© that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
This section contains 1,605 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)