|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps track of some family members?
2. How do the works of literature exist in this library?
3. What does everyone have at Summerland?
4. Who does Chris meet who reminds him of Ann?
5. Where does Chris awaken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chris do to find Ann and help her?
2. What does the man who seems to have substance tell Chris?
3. What is the paradox about Ann and her wish to see Chris at Perry's seance?
4. Where does Leona take Chris and why can't he seem to enjoy it?
5. Describe Chris' experience in the hospital when his soul first leaves his body.
6. Give a brief description of life in Summerland.
7. Who is the man who helped Chris finally make it to Summerland and what does Chris realize about life in Summerland?
8. How is Chris finally able to move away from the Earth plane?
9. What sort of judgment day is there for Chris and who is the "judge"?
10. What does Perry do that keeps Chris from actually communicating any further and why do you think Perry does this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are three settings in this novel: Earth, Summerland and the Lower Realms. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Summerland to Earth.
2. Compare/contrast Summerland to the Lower Realms.
3. Compare/contrast the Lower Realms to Earth.
Essay Topic 2
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a cliché that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Chris learns that Albert keeps track of certain family members who have died; that families do not have the same ties in Summerland as they do on earth. Discuss the following:
1. How does Chris react when he learns that relationships in Summerland (Heaven) are similar as on Earth?
2. Do you think relationships would be different from or similar to the way one's relationships are on Earth (assume for the moment that there is life after death, even if you do not believe it)?
3. Even though relationships in Summerland are similar to that on Earth, do you think Chris could change the relationship with his father if Chris wanted to? What about if the father is unwilling?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)