|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Chris see Ian trying to comfort Ann?
2. What happens if there is intense grieving surrounding a person's death?
3. To what does Chris awaken?
4. What will the man do to contact Chris?
5. Where does Chris go from the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Leona take Chris and why can't he seem to enjoy it?
2. Describe Chris' first moments after he awakens in Summerland.
3. When Chris follows the sounds of Ann's sobbing, where does he end up?
4. What does Leona offer to do for Chris and do you think that it is wise?
5. Why does Chris lie down at his home and does this make sense to you?
6. How does Perry explain about why Chris lingers on the Earth plane for so long and the negative emotions Chris experiences?
7. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
8. How is Chris finally able to move away from the Earth plane?
9. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
10. What does Chris learn at the Office of Records and how does he react? Why do you think he reacts in such a way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Chris learns that Albert keeps track of certain family members who have died; that families do not have the same ties in Summerland as they do on earth. Discuss the following:
1. How does Chris react when he learns that relationships in Summerland (Heaven) are similar as on Earth?
2. Do you think relationships would be different from or similar to the way one's relationships are on Earth (assume for the moment that there is life after death, even if you do not believe it)?
3. Even though relationships in Summerland are similar to that on Earth, do you think Chris could change the relationship with his father if Chris wanted to? What about if the father is unwilling?
Essay Topic 2
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a cliché that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Many people believe that dogs and other animals can sense things beyond the five senses better than humans. Discuss the following:
1. How does Ginger behave towards Chris while she is still in the physical and Chris has died? Does her change in attitude from the first time Chris sees her and is welcomed to later seem logical?
2. How does Ginger behave towards Chris when she is in Summerland? Does this seem logical?
3. Katie, a dog that Chris and Ann had for many years, greets Chris in Summerland. Do you believe animals are in the spirit world? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)