|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone have at Summerland?
2. Why does Chris leave his wife?
3. What confounds Chris about the city he visits?
4. How long does it take the clairvoyant to complete the manuscript?
5. How are Chris' screenplays characterized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Give a one-sentence synopsis of WHAT DREAMS MAY COME.
2. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
3. Who greets Chris and what do you think of the situation?
4. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
5. What is the paradox about Ann and her wish to see Chris at Perry's seance?
6. What can Albert do and how would you feel about that?
7. Who does it seem that Chris can make some sort of connection with and who can he not seem to reach and why?
8. Give a brief description of life in Summerland.
9. Describe Chris' experience in the hospital when his soul first leaves his body.
10. What does the man who seems to have substance tell Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first couple chapters, it is obvious to the reader that Chris has died, yet Chris has not yet realized this fact. Discuss the following:
What are some of the clues that should relay to Chris the fact that he is dead?
Why do you think Chris gets angry at the voice that tells him not to fight dying?
Why do you think he ignores those clues?
What does Chris believe about himself in Chapters 1 and 2? Is there any basis for this belief?
Essay Topic 2
In Albert's home, Chris notices the screenplays he wrote while in the physical on Earth. Chris regrets that his screenplays were not of a less violent or horrific nature. Discuss the following:
1. If Chris had wanted to write different screen plays while on Earth, then he probably would have. What do you think kept him from doing so?
2. If life is meant to be experienced fully, what is wrong with Chris' screenplays exploring themes of life as it is on Earth in reality?
3. If one strives to create heaven on earth, then why have two separate planes of existence?
Essay Topic 3
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a cliché that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)