|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there no mirrors in Summerland?
2. What complicates Chris' passing?
3. What does Ian sense?
4. How does Chris' heart beat?
5. What bothers Chris about Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leona tell Chris of Albert's work and how does Chris react?
2. What does Chris realize about his and Albert's conversation and what is the implication of this?
3. Describe Chris' experience in the hospital when his soul first leaves his body.
4. Why do you think Chris keeps staying around the Earth plane when it is so frustrating and sad to see Ann's grief?
5. What does the man who seems to have substance tell Chris?
6. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
7. How is Chris finally able to move away from the Earth plane?
8. What do you think about what Albert tells Chris about thoughts?
9. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
10. Who greets Chris and what do you think of the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of redemption.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of relationships.
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of spirituality.
Essay Topic 2
Chris learns that everyone has a "job" in Summerland, usually of their own choice. Discuss the following:
1. What is Albert's job and how does he carry it out?
2. What does Chris think he will do for a job? Do you think he makes a good choice? Why or why not?
3. If you were in Summerland and had to choose a job, what would it be and why?
Essay Topic 3
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a cliché that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
This section contains 1,121 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)