|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Chris dream when Albert urges him to rest?
2. What can Chris do to help Ann?
3. What happens if there is intense grieving surrounding a person's death?
4. What of Albert's former beliefs does he share with Chris?
5. What does Chris want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
2. Give a brief description of life in Summerland.
3. What do you think about what Albert tells Chris about thoughts?
4. What does Chris do to find Ann and help her?
5. Why does Chris lie down at his home and does this make sense to you?
6. What does Chris learn at the Office of Records and how does he react? Why do you think he reacts in such a way?
7. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
8. What happens when Chris gets to his home? Why do you think he doesn't realize he is dead?
9. Who does it seem that Chris can make some sort of connection with and who can he not seem to reach and why?
10. When Chris follows the sounds of Ann's sobbing, where does he end up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this story centers around obsession. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Chris's obsession for helping Ann throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
2. Trace and analyze Ann's obsession about Chris throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
3. What lessons can be learned for your own life in looking at how obsession manifests and impacts people in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Chris is introduced to the Hall of Literature, a perfect library where they can talk without disturbing anyone. Works of literature and art are present in their most perfect form. As Leona explains it, the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Leona means when she says the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal?
2. If art on Earth is a mere imitation of the same art in Summerland (or Heaven), why should one even try to produce art on Earth? Discuss with examples.
3. Chris desires to write new, uplifting screen plays. Will his work while he is in Summerland be in its most perfect form? What would be the challenge in writing it if that is so?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of redemption.
2. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of relationships.
3. Thoroughly trace and analyze the theme of spirituality.
This section contains 1,374 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)