|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Chris?
2. Who writes a letter about Chris?
3. How does Robert feel about the manuscript?
4. What does Chris do at the end of Chapter 2?
5. What are the masterpieces on Earth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of judgment day is there for Chris and who is the "judge"?
2. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
3. Who greets Chris and what do you think of the situation?
4. Describe Chris' experience in the hospital when his soul first leaves his body.
5. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
6. What do you think about what Albert tells Chris about thoughts?
7. Who is the man who helped Chris finally make it to Summerland and what does Chris realize about life in Summerland?
8. What can Albert do and how would you feel about that?
9. What happens when Chris gets to his home? Why do you think he doesn't realize he is dead?
10. Who does it seem that Chris can make some sort of connection with and who can he not seem to reach and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Chris separates from his body and his life flashes before his eyes in reverse from 1974 to 1927 in a blur of images. Then, later in Chapter 4, Chris has a comprehensive review of his life and actions, this time slowly and with great clarity. Discuss the following:
What do you think is the purpose of Chris' life flashing past his mind in Chapter 1?
What do you think is the purpose of the comprehensive review in Chapter 4?
Who judges Chris' life? Do you think this is a good way to conduct and after-death judgment?
What judgment is rendered about Chris' life?
Essay Topic 2
Chris is introduced to the Hall of Literature, a perfect library where they can talk without disturbing anyone. Works of literature and art are present in their most perfect form. As Leona explains it, the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Leona means when she says the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal?
2. If art on Earth is a mere imitation of the same art in Summerland (or Heaven), why should one even try to produce art on Earth? Discuss with examples.
3. Chris desires to write new, uplifting screen plays. Will his work while he is in Summerland be in its most perfect form? What would be the challenge in writing it if that is so?
Essay Topic 3
Often someone who is dying will suddenly die when a loved one has left the room momentarily. Many believe that the grief of the loved one holds the person there and it is only when that loved one is out of the room that the person "slips away." Discuss the following:
1. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a loved one can hinder a person from dying? Explain fully.
2. Do you believe either negative or positive emotions of a dying person can hinder the person from letting go and dying? Explain fully.
3. How do you think is the most positive way a loved one can act when holding a bedside vigil of a dying person?
4. Do you think Ann acted in ways that made it easy for Chris to leave his body?
This section contains 1,644 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)