|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the man do to contact Chris?
2. How many spheres does Albert think there may be?
3. Who does Chris see in the church?
4. What can Chris do to help Ann?
5. What is Chris' occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chris learn at the Office of Records and how does he react? Why do you think he reacts in such a way?
2. What is the main thing that bothers Chris about his death and subsequent life in Summerland?
3. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
4. Who is the man who helped Chris finally make it to Summerland and what does Chris realize about life in Summerland?
5. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
6. Describe Chris' first moments after he awakens in Summerland.
7. Give a brief description of life in Summerland.
8. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
9. What does Chris realize about his and Albert's conversation and what is the implication of this?
10. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, Albert explains that thoughts are real. Discuss the following:
1. How do both Chris and Ann manifest their thoughts/emotions in Summerland and the Lower Realms?
2. If you believed thoughts are real and through your thoughts you created what you have here on Earth, would you do things differently than you do now?
3. How would you control your negative thoughts so as not to produce unwanted manifestations?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, Chris separates from his body and his life flashes before his eyes in reverse from 1974 to 1927 in a blur of images. Then, later in Chapter 4, Chris has a comprehensive review of his life and actions, this time slowly and with great clarity. Discuss the following:
What do you think is the purpose of Chris' life flashing past his mind in Chapter 1?
What do you think is the purpose of the comprehensive review in Chapter 4?
Who judges Chris' life? Do you think this is a good way to conduct and after-death judgment?
What judgment is rendered about Chris' life?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Ann agrees to a séance with Perry. It starts out find, but then ends badly. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and then analyze the entire séance scene.
2. Discuss the paranormal, particularly mediumship and give your response to the subject.
3. How do you think things would have changed for Ann if she had seen Chris and believed he still existed somewhere? Discuss thoroughly with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)