|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will the man do to contact Chris?
2. Where does Chris see Ian trying to comfort Ann?
3. How many spheres does Albert think there may be?
4. What does Chris want to do?
5. What confounds Chris about the city he visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think about what Albert tells Chris about thoughts?
2. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
3. Why does Chris lie down at his home and does this make sense to you?
4. What is the main thing that bothers Chris about his death and subsequent life in Summerland?
5. Describe Chris' experience in the hospital when his soul first leaves his body.
6. How does Perry explain about why Chris lingers on the Earth plane for so long and the negative emotions Chris experiences?
7. What does Perry do that keeps Chris from actually communicating any further and why do you think Perry does this?
8. Who greets Chris and what do you think of the situation?
9. What does Chris realize about his and Albert's conversation and what is the implication of this?
10. What does the man who seems to have substance tell Chris?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann commits suicide and thus ends up in the Lower Realms, which represent Hell. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think suicide causes people to go to hell? Does that seem loving?
2. Do you think it is God or the person him/herself that causes the person to end up in Hell?
3. What do you think should happen to people who commit suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Much of this story centers around obsession. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Chris's obsession for helping Ann throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
2. Trace and analyze Ann's obsession about Chris throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
3. What lessons can be learned for your own life in looking at how obsession manifests and impacts people in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Chris is introduced to the Hall of Literature, a perfect library where they can talk without disturbing anyone. Works of literature and art are present in their most perfect form. As Leona explains it, the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think Leona means when she says the original Chris sees is the true form, the concept in the mind of the artist, pure and eternal?
2. If art on Earth is a mere imitation of the same art in Summerland (or Heaven), why should one even try to produce art on Earth? Discuss with examples.
3. Chris desires to write new, uplifting screen plays. Will his work while he is in Summerland be in its most perfect form? What would be the challenge in writing it if that is so?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)