|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the clairvoyant claim?
2. What does Chris do when a voice tells him not to fight dying?
3. Where does Chris see Ian trying to comfort Ann?
4. How long does it take the clairvoyant to complete the manuscript?
5. To what does Ann reluctantly agree?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
2. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
3. Why does Chris lie down at his home and does this make sense to you?
4. Who is the man who helped Chris finally make it to Summerland and what does Chris realize about life in Summerland?
5. Describe Chris' first moments after he awakens in Summerland.
6. What does Leon show Chris while they are waiting to be summoned back to the Office of Records?
7. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
8. What does Chris do to find Ann and help her?
9. What does Perry do that keeps Chris from actually communicating any further and why do you think Perry does this?
10. How does Perry explain about why Chris lingers on the Earth plane for so long and the negative emotions Chris experiences?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, Chris separates from his body and his life flashes before his eyes in reverse from 1974 to 1927 in a blur of images. Then, later in Chapter 4, Chris has a comprehensive review of his life and actions, this time slowly and with great clarity. Discuss the following:
What do you think is the purpose of Chris' life flashing past his mind in Chapter 1?
What do you think is the purpose of the comprehensive review in Chapter 4?
Who judges Chris' life? Do you think this is a good way to conduct and after-death judgment?
What judgment is rendered about Chris' life?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 5, Ann agrees to a séance with Perry. It starts out find, but then ends badly. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and then analyze the entire séance scene.
2. Discuss the paranormal, particularly mediumship and give your response to the subject.
3. How do you think things would have changed for Ann if she had seen Chris and believed he still existed somewhere? Discuss thoroughly with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Ann commits suicide and thus ends up in the Lower Realms, which represent Hell. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think suicide causes people to go to hell? Does that seem loving?
2. Do you think it is God or the person him/herself that causes the person to end up in Hell?
3. What do you think should happen to people who commit suicide?
This section contains 1,339 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)