|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Albert explain to Chris in Chapter 13?
2. With whom does Chris usually go to the movies?
3. To what does Chris awaken?
4. What happens to Chris?
5. What place does Chris visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Leon show Chris while they are waiting to be summoned back to the Office of Records?
2. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
3. What happens when Chris gets to his home? Why do you think he doesn't realize he is dead?
4. What recollection of Chris' may foreshadow the future for Ann?
5. Who does it seem that Chris can make some sort of connection with and who can he not seem to reach and why?
6. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
7. What might give Chris hope for Ann for after she dies?
8. Where does Leona take Chris and why can't he seem to enjoy it?
9. Give a one-sentence synopsis of WHAT DREAMS MAY COME.
10. What does Chris learn at the Office of Records and how does he react? Why do you think he reacts in such a way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ann commits suicide and thus ends up in the Lower Realms, which represent Hell. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think suicide causes people to go to hell? Does that seem loving?
2. Do you think it is God or the person him/herself that causes the person to end up in Hell?
3. What do you think should happen to people who commit suicide?
Essay Topic 2
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a cliché that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
Compare/contrast Chris to Albert.
Thoroughly analyze Ann's character and discuss why you think she ends up in the lower realms.
Discuss four of the minor characters and how they contribute to the story. Could they be left out without impacting the story overly much?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)