|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What place does Chris visit?
2. To where does Chris follow Ann?
3. How can Albert help Chris?
4. Where does Chris awaken?
5. What raiment does Albert don?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the first meeting between Chris and Ann.
2. What could Ann have done differently on Earth following the death of Chris which would have not resulted in her being where she is?
3. What do you think it means when Chris says he is realizing there is so much more than what the limited human mind can conceive?
4. What happens as Chris and Albert continue walking deeper into the Lower Realms?
5. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
6. What does Chris do to try to make a connection with Ann and what is her response?
7. Once Chris decides he will reincarnate soon, what does he have to learn first?
8. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
9. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
10. Describe Albert and Chris' initial entry into the Lower Realms.
Essay Topic 1
Symbols and metaphors are usually present in most fiction, particularly one that has both a message and is set in imaginary worlds. Discuss one of the following:
1. Why do you think a novel set in imaginary worlds would rely upon symbolism and metaphors? Give examples to support your rationale.
2. Trace and analyze three of the most significant symbols in the novel.
3. Trace and analyze two of the most significant metaphors in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In the first couple chapters, it is obvious to the reader that Chris has died, yet Chris has not yet realized this fact. Discuss the following:
What are some of the clues that should relay to Chris the fact that he is dead?
Why do you think Chris gets angry at the voice that tells him not to fight dying?
Why do you think he ignores those clues?
What does Chris believe about himself in Chapters 1 and 2? Is there any basis for this belief?
Essay Topic 3
There are three settings in this novel: Earth, Summerland and the Lower Realms. Discuss one of the following:
1. Compare/contrast Summerland to Earth.
2. Compare/contrast Summerland to the Lower Realms.
3. Compare/contrast the Lower Realms to Earth.
This section contains 3,063 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)