|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Albert answer Chris' questions?
2. How does Chris affect his environment at Summerland?
3. How does Richard feel about what Perry says about Chris?
4. What is Chris' greatest need?
5. What bothers Chris about Summerland?
Short Essay Questions
1. What might give Chris hope for Ann for after she dies?
2. How does Perry explain about why Chris lingers on the Earth plane for so long and the negative emotions Chris experiences?
3. Who does Chris encounter in the hospital halls and what do you think the fog represents?
4. What does Chris want to do at Summerland?
5. Describe Chris' first moments after he awakens in Summerland.
6. Where does Leona take Chris and why can't he seem to enjoy it?
7. What does the man who seems to have substance tell Chris?
8. What is the main thing that bothers Chris about his death and subsequent life in Summerland?
9. When Chris follows the sounds of Ann's sobbing, where does he end up?
10. Why does Chris lie down at his home and does this make sense to you?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Much of this story centers around obsession. Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze Chris's obsession for helping Ann throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
2. Trace and analyze Ann's obsession about Chris throughout the story. Discuss fully with examples.
3. What lessons can be learned for your own life in looking at how obsession manifests and impacts people in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Ann commits suicide and thus ends up in the Lower Realms, which represent Hell. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think suicide causes people to go to hell? Does that seem loving?
2. Do you think it is God or the person him/herself that causes the person to end up in Hell?
3. What do you think should happen to people who commit suicide?
Essay Topic 3
Chris learns that everyone has a "job" in Summerland, usually of their own choice. Discuss the following:
1. What is Albert's job and how does he carry it out?
2. What does Chris think he will do for a job? Do you think he makes a good choice? Why or why not?
3. If you were in Summerland and had to choose a job, what would it be and why?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)