|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Leona and Chris met?
2. Who does Chris see in the church?
3. What raiment does Albert don?
4. What will the man do to contact Chris?
5. What work does this woman tell Chris that Albert is doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Chris keeps staying around the Earth plane when it is so frustrating and sad to see Ann's grief?
2. What is the paradox about Ann and her wish to see Chris at Perry's seance?
3. How does Chris use gratitude to help his frame of mind and to reach out again to Ann?
4. What does Chris realize about his and Albert's conversation and what is the implication of this?
5. How does Chris persist in trying to make Ann see her situation and what is the result?
6. What does Perry do that keeps Chris from actually communicating any further and why do you think Perry does this?
7. Briefly describe Ann's home in Hell.
8. What is the frame in which Chris' story is written?
9. Who is the man who helped Chris finally make it to Summerland and what does Chris realize about life in Summerland?
10. What does Leon show Chris while they are waiting to be summoned back to the Office of Records?
Essay Topic 1
Despite Chris' intense love for his wife, Ann, he is unable to make a connection with her while she is still in the physical plane and barely manages to get her to acknowledge his existence in the spirit world. Discuss the following:
1. There's a clichÃ© that suggests that "love conquers all." What does love fail to conquer in the story and what does love conquer in the story?
2. Ann's refusal to feel Chris's connection seems to be motivated by her head, rather than heart. Do you think this is true? Why? Give examples.
3. In what other ways do you see the existence of love in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Chris learns that everyone has a "job" in Summerland, usually of their own choice. Discuss the following:
1. What is Albert's job and how does he carry it out?
2. What does Chris think he will do for a job? Do you think he makes a good choice? Why or why not?
3. If you were in Summerland and had to choose a job, what would it be and why?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 5, Ann agrees to a sÃ©ance with Perry. It starts out find, but then ends badly. Discuss one of the following:
1. Describe and then analyze the entire sÃ©ance scene.
2. Discuss the paranormal, particularly mediumship and give your response to the subject.
3. How do you think things would have changed for Ann if she had seen Chris and believed he still existed somewhere? Discuss thoroughly with examples from the text.
This section contains 3,020 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)