|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the intermediary between Rogers, Keel, and Richard?
2. After Richard got off the red-eye flight to Washington, what hotel did he check in to?
3. How much of a warning does the Houston center of communication need to tie in the shuttle with a specific place?
4. How far was the NASA building from Richard's hotel?
5. What lingo did Mr. Fichtel say was used when all the conditions are satisfied and "we're ready to move to the next phase of the operation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Richard had his press conference at Caltech, what did he find himself telling reporters over and over?
2. What does Richard say about seeing a congressman give his opinion on something?
3. Which two groups did Richard spend his time helping, and which group was the one that he helped the most during the investigation?
4. What did Mr. Rogers say to members of the commission about being careful with "these people, whose careers depend on us"?
5. Why are the brakes on the shuttle controlled by the computers instead of the astronauts?
6. What was the main thing Richard said he learned during the first official meeting of the commission?
7. When the astronauts know where they're supposed to land, they have to push one of three buttons. What are these buttons for?
8. After Richard was done speaking to General Kutyna at the Pentagon, what did he do for the rest of the day?
9. What was the rumor as to why NASA tried to make the shuttle fly in spite of the cold?
10. What did the JPL engineers tell Richard that some of the people that worked on the engines always did on each flight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think of the way that Richard Feynman wrote this book? Did you enjoy learning about his life as a child and teenager? What story did you enjoy most about his life in Part 1 of the book? What story did enjoy most in Part 2 of the book? Describe your favorite parts in detail using specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In the afterthoughts of the book, Richard states that he invented a theory of what led to the lack of communication in NASA. Expound on the thoughts that Richard has about his theory that he came up with and on what his friends thing about his theory. Describe your thoughts on Richard's theory. Use specific information from the book to include in your description and thoughts.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Richard had such a hard time believing in the miracles that he learned about in Sunday school? Explain what Richard's feelings were toward the stories that were told in church and how that shaped him for his life to come. Reference the book to support your thoughts.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)