|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard went to NASA to learn about the shuttle, the first briefer told him about the whole shuttle except for what part?
2. In Check Six, Richard states that "tomorrow at 6:15" they were going to be briefed and go by special airplane to where?
3. How long were the puffs of smoke that were pictured coming out of the shuttle while it was still on the launch pad?
4. Who was the intermediary between Rogers, Keel, and Richard?
5. Richard states in Check Six, that his name was in the newspaper every day as a result of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the brakes on the shuttle controlled by the computers instead of the astronauts?
2. What was the rumor as to why NASA tried to make the shuttle fly in spite of the cold?
3. What did Mr. Rogers say to members of the commission about being careful with "these people, whose careers depend on us"?
4. What did one of the reporters from the MacNeil/Lehrer Newshour say to Richard that provided an "out" for the situation he put himself in by mistakenly providing the reporters with a copy of his report?
5. How did General Kutyna describe the "check six" rule to Richard?
6. In the beginning of Check Six, how does Richard explain how he felt about the press?
7. Why did Richard decide it would be a good idea to fly to Washington on Tuesday even though he wasn't needed for the first meeting with the commission until Wednesday?
8. What was Richard's reaction when someone on the staff brought him something to sign saying that his expenses were over the $75 a day?
9. When the astronauts know where they're supposed to land, they have to push one of three buttons. What are these buttons for?
10. What does Richard say about seeing a congressman give his opinion on something?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe who Frances and Chuck were and what influence they had on Richard. Why was it beneficial to Richard to know and be in contact with Frances? Are there any negative results of Richard being related to someone in the press? If so, why? Expound on these answers and use specific information from the book to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe one of your favorite individuals in the book. Expound on their characteristics and values that you find intriguing. Describe what their importance in the book was.
Essay Topic 3
Describe General Kutyna. Describe what things about General Kutyna appealed to you as a reader and why he and Richard got along so well? Use specific examples from the book to explain your answers.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)