|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Henry Bethe when he talked to Richard before a lecture by Konrad Lorenz?
2. What type of joints are made at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida?
3. What did Richard say was the word that described the "printed pictures which had just come out in newspapers"?
4. When Arlene was in the hospital in Albuquerque, why did she have a little charcoal broiler in her room?
5. In the beginning of I Just Shook His Hand, what university does Richard mention that had wanted him to come speak for years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Richard looked like when he was performing one of his "experiments" and he forgot to lock the door and someone walked in on him.
2. How did William Graham, the head of NASA, know Richard?
3. How did Richard learn about algebra?
4. When Richard is describing the shuttle, what does he say is the large, central part of the shuttle, and what does this part contain?
5. What did Richard tell Gweneth he'd be doing for six months, and what did he do after he said this to her?
6. What did the librarian say when Richard tried to check out the book, Calculus for the Practical Man, and who did he say the book is for?
7. How did Richard describe the Hotel Amigo in Brussels?
8. Why were there a lot of new buildings in Warsaw, Poland?
9. Describe the auditorium in the United Nations building in Geneva, Switzerland that Richard took a tour of.
10. What did Richard's friends, Al Hibbs and Dick Davies, tell Richard he should do about being asked to be on the investigation committee of the Challenger accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Depict how RIchard's parents (individually and together) influenced him in his life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events of the O-ring ice water demonstration that Richard performs at one of the meetings of the commission. What objects did Richard need to complete this demonstration and why did he need those particular objects?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book the reader can learn interesting facts about things they may not have been aware of previous to reading the book. What things in the book are educational and what things did you learn from the book? Were there any subjects, lessons learned, or scientific explanations that were something new that you've never heard of before? If so, clarify what information you found that was so interesting or intriguing.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)