|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Richard say was the word that described the "printed pictures which had just come out in newspapers"?
2. On his way back from Brazil, where did Richard stop at?
3. What type of joints are made at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida?
4. When Richard joined the same group as Arlene, he found out that she had a boyfriend named what?
5. How old was the Grand Hotel where Richard was staying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when Arlene found a summer job in Scituate, taking care of children to be close to Richard?
2. Why did Richard tell Gweneth and Michelle that he had to write with a paper on his lap when he wrote his letter from the Royal Olympic Hotel in Athens?
3. How did Richard learn about algebra?
4. Why were there a lot of new buildings in Warsaw, Poland?
5. How did Richard's friend from Los Alamos explain to him how she may have mistakenly thought that he knew Herman?
6. Describe what Richard looked like when he was performing one of his "experiments" and he forgot to lock the door and someone walked in on him.
7. When Richard heard about miracles at the temple, he tried to explain the miracles with natural phenomena. What was one of the miracles he says he could never figure out?
8. What did Richard tell Gweneth he'd be doing for six months, and what did he do after he said this to her?
9. When Richard was at a party with his beach crowd, what was one of the older guys teaching them in the kitchen?
10. What did the librarian say when Richard tried to check out the book, Calculus for the Practical Man, and who did he say the book is for?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think the section, Photos and Drawings was included in the book? What significance do they have to the rest of the book that Richard has written? Describe how seeing the photos and letters help the reader to connect with the stories.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events of the O-ring ice water demonstration that Richard performs at one of the meetings of the commission. What objects did Richard need to complete this demonstration and why did he need those particular objects?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Richard had such a hard time believing in the miracles that he learned about in Sunday school? Explain what Richard's feelings were toward the stories that were told in church and how that shaped him for his life to come. Reference the book to support your thoughts.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)