|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard was attending graduate school, a guy walked in on him holding a pot in one hand and stirring with the other. What was in the pot that Richard was stirring?
2. What kind of style did the queen's secretary build his house in?
3. What type of joints are made at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida?
4. How old was the Grand Hotel where Richard was staying?
5. Richard stated that when he was a kid growing up in Far Rockaway, he and his friend, Bernie, both had what in their homes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were there a lot of new buildings in Warsaw, Poland?
2. When Richard speaks about writing an essay for the regents examination, he states that his literary friends were always "throwing the bull." What does this mean, and why does Richard decide to do it?
3. Describe what Richard looked like when he was performing one of his "experiments" and he forgot to lock the door and someone walked in on him.
4. How did Richard describe the Hotel Amigo in Brussels?
5. What happened when Gweneth realized that she had lost a roll of film?
6. Why did Richard tell Gweneth and Michelle that he had to write with a paper on his lap when he wrote his letter from the Royal Olympic Hotel in Athens?
7. At the end of Part 1: The Making of a Scientist, Richard mentions his mother. What does he say about her?
8. When Richard was asked to give a speech after the mayor had spoken at the dedication ceremony of the shrine, what did he say?
9. Describe the auditorium in the United Nations building in Geneva, Switzerland that Richard took a tour of.
10. What did Richard's friends, Al Hibbs and Dick Davies, tell Richard he should do about being asked to be on the investigation committee of the Challenger accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why you think William Rogers was chosen as the head of the investigation commission? Give a detailed description of what qualities you think made him a good leader and those that may have hindered him from being a good leader in some parts.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think feminist group in Feynman Sexist Pig was so offended by the stories that Richard had told concerning the police officer and about the astronomer and his girlfriend? Do you think the feminist group had a right to be upset by the stories that Richard had told in his lectures? Do you think Richard handled the feminist group in the right way? Why or why not? Why do you think the protesters changed their minds so easily when they saw Richard in San Francisco at the American Association of Physics Teachers meeting? Do you think Richard was a sexist pig like the protesters claimed? Use specific information from the book to support your ideas and answers.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events of the O-ring ice water demonstration that Richard performs at one of the meetings of the commission. What objects did Richard need to complete this demonstration and why did he need those particular objects?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)