|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Richard goes to the palace to meet the king and queen in "Part 1: Letters, Photos, and Drawings," what color of coats were the waiters wearing?
2. Before Richard was born, his father told his mother that "if it's a boy, he's going to be a" what?
3. What was on the towel that hung close to the tub at the inn in Iseokitsu?
4. In the letter from Henry Bethe to Gweneth, Henry mentions a time when Richard was talking to him that he felt itchy and impatient waiting for a lecture. Richard mentioned to Henry that there are twice as many what?
5. Where is the Morton Thiokol factory located?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Richard finally cry after his wife passed away?
2. When Richard is describing the shuttle, what does he say is the large, central part of the shuttle, and what does this part contain?
3. What did Richard tell his wife about the Palace of Culture and Science?
4. When Richard was at a party with his beach crowd, what was one of the older guys teaching them in the kitchen?
5. When Richard heard about miracles at the temple, he tried to explain the miracles with natural phenomena. What was one of the miracles he says he could never figure out?
6. When Richard was in graduate school at Princeton, there was a psychology paper that came up about controlling the "time sense" in the brain. How did the author of this paper test his theory?
7. Describe the auditorium in the United Nations building in Geneva, Switzerland that Richard took a tour of.
8. Describe what Richard looked like when he was performing one of his "experiments" and he forgot to lock the door and someone walked in on him.
9. Why did Richard tell Gweneth and Michelle that he had to write with a paper on his lap when he wrote his letter from the Royal Olympic Hotel in Athens?
10. What happens to the large central part of the shuttle a few minutes after a shuttle launch?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Richard had such a hard time believing in the miracles that he learned about in Sunday school? Explain what Richard's feelings were toward the stories that were told in church and how that shaped him for his life to come. Reference the book to support your thoughts.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what the tenth recommendation in the report was. Expound on the objections that Richard had to this "recommendation" and what kind of run-around he got about it. Describe the end result of Richard's complaining about the tenth recommendation.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Gweneth's role in Richard's life. Compare and contrast the relationship of Gweneth and Richard to the relationship between Arlene and Richard. Use specific information from the book to support your analysis.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)