|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richard describe how the shuttle gets into orbit?
(a) By one of the crew members pussing one button.
(c) By someone on the ground controlling the rocket.
(d) By the crew all pushing a button.
2. The meeting that the commission attended when they first arrived in Florida lasted until when?
(a) 5:00 PM.
(b) 8:00 PM.
(c) 6:45 PM.
(d) 7:30 PM.
3. When Richard went to a local hardware store, what does he buy besides some pliers and a small C-clamp?
(a) Some wire.
(b) Two screwdrivers.
(c) A hammer.
(d) Some safety glasses.
4. As range safety officer at Kennedy Space Center, what did Mr. Ullian have to decide?
(a) Whether to let visitors in to see the launch of the shuttle or not.
(b) Whether to put destruct charges on the shuttle or not.
(c) Whether to launch the shuttle or not.
(d) How many people were to go on the shuttle.
5. Who headed the design, development, and production panel of the commission?
(a) Mr. Sutter.
(b) Dr. Ride.
(c) General Kutyna.
(d) Mr. Acheson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the intermediary between Rogers, Keel, and Richard?
2. What happens when a shuttle reaches 4,000 feet before landing?
3. Where was Richard's cousin working when Richard started working for the investigation committee?
4. How much money was Richard allowed per day for hotel and food?
5. What is the name of Richard's sister's son that he mentions in Check Six?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did one of the reporters from the MacNeil/Lehrer Newshour say to Richard that provided an "out" for the situation he put himself in by mistakenly providing the reporters with a copy of his report?
2. What was the main thing Richard said he learned during the first official meeting of the commission?
3. After Richard was done speaking to General Kutyna at the Pentagon, what did he do for the rest of the day?
4. When the astronauts know where they're supposed to land, they have to push one of three buttons. What are these buttons for?
5. Why did Richard decide it would be a good idea to fly to Washington on Tuesday even though he wasn't needed for the first meeting with the commission until Wednesday?
6. What was Richard's impression about what was going to happen with the commission getting together at one point?
7. When Richard left the meeting with engineers discussing the shuttle engines, what was the definite impression that he had about their situation?
8. What was the commission originally going to do when they first arrived in Florida, and why was it changed?
9. The shuttle's computers don't have enough memory to hold all the programs for the whole flight, so what has to happen?
10. What did Mr. Rogers say to members of the commission about being careful with "these people, whose careers depend on us"?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)