|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What appeared a few seconds before the main fuel tank exploded?
(a) A leak of fuel.
(b) A flame.
(c) A puff of smoke.
(d) An empty hole in the shuttle.
2. How does Richard describe how the shuttle gets into orbit?
(a) By the crew all pushing a button.
(b) By someone on the ground controlling the rocket.
(c) By one of the crew members pussing one button.
3. What was the name of Richard's cousin whom he says educated him about the press?
4. What day of the week did the commission deliver their report to the president of the United States?
5. What was the name of the rule that General Kutyna informs Richard about?
(a) Check six.
(b) Fire twelve.
(c) Watch three.
(d) Hold nine.
6. Who does Richard state couldn't say everything that they wanted to because they still worked for NASA?
(a) General Kutyna.
(b) Sally Ride.
(c) William Rogers.
(d) William Graham.
7. How many computers does the shuttle have on board?
8. What accounted for the large gaps of time in the log that was kept by the man who took the temperature readings the morning of the launch?
(a) The times he was phoning in to the launch station.
(b) The times that he had to check on something else on the launch pad.
(c) The times that he had to go to the bathroom.
(d) The times he climbed up and down the launch tower.
9. How far was the NASA building from Richard's hotel?
(a) It was out by a large open field about ten miles away.
(b) It was right across the street.
(c) It was all the way across town.
(d) It was two blocks away.
10. After Richard got off the red-eye flight to Washington, what hotel did he check in to?
(a) The Harrington Hotel.
(b) The Hay Adams Hotel.
(c) The L'Enfant Plaza Hotel.
(d) The Holiday Inn.
11. The instruction manual to the device the ice crew used for measuring the temperatures said that the instrument must be out in the environment for at least how many minutes before using?
12. Who headed the design, development, and production panel of the commission?
(a) Dr. Ride.
(b) Mr. Sutter.
(c) Mr. Acheson.
(d) General Kutyna.
13. After the meeting that the commission attended when they first arrived in Florida finished, where did they go next?
(a) To Kennedy Space Center.
(b) To a dinner set up by Mr. Rogers.
(c) To a local bar.
(d) To their hotel room.
14. The meeting that the commission attended when they first arrived in Florida lasted until when?
(a) 5:00 PM.
(b) 8:00 PM.
(c) 7:30 PM.
(d) 6:45 PM.
15. Who was the former director of NASA who was removed from his job pending an investigation?
(a) General Kutyna.
(b) Mr. Beggs.
(c) William Graham.
(d) William Rogers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the temperature the morning of the launch of the Challenger shuttle?
2. When Charlie Stevenson was explaining the temperatures before the launch, how low of a temperature did his crew get a reading of?
3. How much of a warning does the Houston center of communication need to tie in the shuttle with a specific place?
4. Where did commission member Al Keel come from?
5. The temperature was measured in the air, the rocket, the ground, the ice, and even a puddle of slush with what in it?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)