|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The taxi driver mentioned in Part 1: Getting Ahead said he wanted to build for the future by betting on horses. What did the taxi driver say he would buy if he won money on the horses?
(a) His own bicycle.
(b) His own taxicab.
(c) His own home.
(d) His own radio.
2. What did Richard say was the word that described the "printed pictures which had just come out in newspapers"?
3. While Richard watched the dedication ceremony of a shrine, who tapped him on the shoulder?
(a) His wife.
(b) Their host.
(c) A small boy.
(d) The head priest.
4. When Richard visited a shrine with an enclave behind it, what ddid the Shinto priest do for him while they were having tea?
(a) He sung traditional songs.
(b) He played the drum.
(c) He did some calligraphy.
(d) He read from religious texts.
5. In Part 1, Richard mentions kids playing in a field and one of them asking Richard to name a particular bird. What kind of bird did the child tell Richard the bird was?
(a) A Spencer's warbler.
(b) A brown-throated thrush.
(c) A robin.
(d) A red-crested woodpecker.
6. When Arlene was in the hospital in Albuquerque, why did she have a little charcoal broiler in her room?
(a) To make it more like home.
(b) To keep it warm.
(c) To give to Richard as a gift.
(d) To make steaks.
7. Richard states that when he saw equations in his mind, he saw the letters in color. In what color did he see the letter N?
(a) Vibrant yellow.
(b) Fire engine red.
(d) Light pink.
8. Richard found out that the funeral for his unknown "friend" was going to be on what day?
(a) May 1st.
(b) May 4th.
(c) May 10th.
(d) May 3rd.
9. What is located at the front of the space shuttle orbiter?
(a) The cargo bay.
(b) The place where the crew sits.
(c) The fuel rockets.
(d) The engines.
10. The secretary to the queen had a yard that was not yet landscaped except for what?
(a) A flower garden.
(b) A vegetable garden.
(c) A horse enclosure.
(d) A playground.
11. While on a tour inside the United Nations building in Geneva, Switzerland, Richard spotted a physicist friend of his from where?
(d) The U.S.A.
12. After Richard graduated from college where did he decide to further his education?
13. What kind of style did the queen's secretary build his house in?
(d) English tudor.
14. Where did Richard hear the investigation of the shuttle accident would be?
(b) New York.
15. What did Richard invite his first date to do with him?
(a) Go to a play.
(b) Go to a dance.
(c) Go out to eat at a fancy restaurant.
(d) Go to the movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Richard finally able to oblige the university that wanted him to speak?
2. A lady across the street from the inn in Iseokitsu gave Richard what?
3. Richard received a letter from a feminist group after a few of his lectures were published. What was Richard's short reply to this letter?
4. When Richard took a taxi to the East Indian neighborhood, the taxi driver pointed out a man sitting on the front steps of a concrete block house and stated that the man's son was studying medicine where?
5. When the taxi driver took Richard around an East Indian neighborhood, he pointed out two women he admired who gathered enough money to buy what?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)