|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the members of the Good Salvation Soup Kitchen do in honor of the wedding?
2. What did Turtle find out about Sandy after the game ends?
3. What did Theo discover when he analyzed his clues?
4. What did Turtle confess to the judge in Chapter 21?
5. How did Chris feel at the prospect of being taken hostage by Doctor Deere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was there to be no liquor served at Crow and Otis Amber's wedding?
2. Describe what event was occurring at the beginning of Chapter 16.
3. What did Mr. Hoo do that convinced Crow he couldn't be the bomber?
4. What is meant by the expression, "to go on the wagon"?
5. Why did Mrs. Wexler's attitude suddenly change toward Turtle at the end of the novel?
6. Why had Turtle and Theo decided against having children?
7. The second time the heirs signed the receipt for their invitation, they changed the description of the position they were signing as. Why was this?
8. When Julian R. Eastman died, who else died with him?
9. What did Turtle suddenly realize about the winning clue in Chapter 26?
10. What was the surprise that, when found out, had Turtle calling everyone a liar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Literary elements are those parts of a literary piece that are always evident, such as character, setting, plot, etc. Literary devices are manipulations of both language and literary elements that occur in a particular story by the author to make the reading more interesting. Discuss and give examples of how Ellen Raskin handles either or both of these in a unique way to make her story more interesting to the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Every character in a well-written novel serves a purpose for being in the story. All of the characters in the Westing Game are either related to Westing on some level or were relatives of Westing - except for Denton Deere. What might Westing's purpose have been for including Deere among the heirs? What did Deere do that would help serve Westing's purpose? Use examples from the book to show Deere's possible purpose in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Turtle keeps Westing's secret after she discovers it? Do you think she was right or wrong for her actions? Defend you opinion with facts from the book about the various characters and how the knowledge of the secret might affect them.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)