|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mr. Hoo promise his business partner in Chapter 27?
2. What did Chris get so excited about that he startled the Judge?
3. What happened to Sandy in the library?
4. How did Chris feel at the prospect of being taken hostage by Doctor Deere?
5. How was Judge Ford connected to Mr. Westing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Turtle suddenly realize about the winning clue in Chapter 26?
2. Why was Turtle so happy at the last meeting of the heirs?
3. What clues indicate to the reader that the heirs were jittery and nervous after the repeated bombings?
4. When Julian R. Eastman died, who else died with him?
5. What did Turtle do that made her the winner of the two million dollars?
6. What is meant by the expression, "to go on the wagon"?
7. What happened to convince Judge Ford that Sandy was indeed Mr. Westing?
8. Why did the bomb squad seem indifferent to the fact that Turtle had been blasted by the latest bomb?
9. What happened at/to the Westing house at the end of the game?
10. After examining all her information for the newspaperman, who did Judge Ford believe must be protected from Westing's mischief and why did she think this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes in The Westing Game is that of family. The heirs are all related in some way, except for Denton Deere, and he is Angela's fiance. However, by the end of the novel, other close ties are formed by the characters, making them a sort of "family" on a different plane. Discuss one or two of the relationships that develop and discuss why they may have formed that particular relationship. What needs for each character are being met? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
How can you tell that Sam Westing knew some of the heirs pretty well? Give examples to support your answer. Be sure to include the pairing of the heirs in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Character refers to particular traits of a character in a novel. Characterization refers to the author's way of revealing those character traits. Discuss one of the characters, giving a couple of distinct traits and show examples of how Ellen Raskin characterizes that character. Be sure to include plenty of examples from the novel.
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)