|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT listed in the letters as features of the apartments?
2. What did Judge Ford lose that she posted a wanted sign for?
3. Why did Madame Hoo not attend the reading of the Will?
4. Which two residents of Sunset Towers did not go to the reading of the Will?
5. On their third snowbound day, what decision did the heirs face?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did the second bomb go off?
2. Why did Mr. Hoo laugh when Grace suggested that her husband was doing his bookkeeping?
3. What did the fireman and policeman say caused the explosion?
4. What did the newspaperman find out about Mr. Hoo?
5. Why did Sydelle want Angela to dress as her twin for the party?
6. What two unusual things happened at the supposed empty Westing Mansion?
7. Why did Angela become upset when everyone continually asked about Denton?
8. At the first reading of the Will, what did Ed Plum give to each pair of heirs?
9. What did the Wexlers think about the apartment shown to them?
10. What did the newspaperman find out about George Theodorakis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There were many heirs that Sam Westing owed something to, either an apology or restitution in some way. Why would he choose to make restitution in the manner he did? Why not just meet the characters face-to-face and resolve their differences? Use clues given about Westing as a character that leads to understanding of his reasons for choosing the manner he did.
Essay Topic 2
One of the traits of the mystery genre is a crime. There is not truly a crime committed in The Westing Game, so how can it still be considered a mystery? What makes it a mystery? Use examples from the book to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Parallelism is one of the literary devices used in The Westing Game. One example of parallelism is that of Angela/Theo and Violet Westing and George Theodorakis. Find at least one other example of parallelism in the novel and discuss it. What purpose would the author maybe have for including those examples of parallelism?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)