|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the state of mind of all the tenants of Sunset Towers upon moving in?
2. Why didn't Chris sign the check and give his partner his half of the money?
3. Which pair of heirs did not get their money?
4. Why did Angela hesitate to call the fire department?
5. Two people at Sunset Towers were not heirs. Who were they?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Angela become upset when everyone continually asked about Denton?
2. Why was Judge Ford surprised at McSouthers' description of Mrs. Westing?
3. What two things did Turtle find in the mansion on Halloween night?
4. When did the second bomb go off?
5. What particular trait do several of the characters share making it possible that the person seen going into the mansion by Chris could be any one of them?
6. Describe the appearance of the six apartments in the Sunset Towers building.
7. What did the newspaperman find out about George Theodorakis?
8. What story did Sandy and Otis tell about the Westing Mansion?
9. How did Turtle think Westing meant for them to use the $10,000? What clues from the Will lead her to believe that?
10. What sort of letter did the tenants of Sunset Towers receive, and what did it instruct them to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Sam Westing devised the Westing game? What insight into his thoughts does the author give us as clues to his motives? What do you think about his motives? Do you approve of what he did, or not? Why or why not? Give examples from the book for your answers, including why you may or may not approve of his motives - i.e., how did what he do affect the various characters?
Essay Topic 2
There were many heirs that Sam Westing owed something to, either an apology or restitution in some way. Why would he choose to make restitution in the manner he did? Why not just meet the characters face-to-face and resolve their differences? Use clues given about Westing as a character that leads to understanding of his reasons for choosing the manner he did.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen Raskin has stated that the character she most identifies with from the novel is Angela. However, Turtle develops into being the main character. Why is Turtle the best choice to be the main character? Give examples from the book as to why Turtle makes the best main character. What about some of the other characters and their feelings about Westing? How would that make them not the most likely main character? Give examples from the novel about how Turtle feels about Westing in all his disguises.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)