|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exciting story did Turtle have to tell her family, but decided not to tell all the details?
2. When E.J. Plum started the reading of the Will, what do readers find out about why the residents of Sunset Towers were included in the Will?
3. What object was in the center of the library when the heirs gather there?
4. What name did Turtle tell Flora was her real name?
5. What is one trait of the Sunset Towers apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by the expression, "to go on the wagon"?
2. After examining all her information for the newspaperman, who did Judge Ford believe must be protected from Westing's mischief and why did she think this?
3. When did the second bomb go off?
4. Why did the Judge Ford warn Sandy that they needed to keep their wits about them in Chapter 24?
5. What did the fireman and policeman say caused the explosion?
6. What did Wexler say he knew that no one else did?
7. Why did the bomb squad seem indifferent to the fact that Turtle had been blasted by the latest bomb?
8. Why were the tenants purchasing so many Westing Paper Products?
9. What story did Sandy and Otis tell about the Westing Mansion?
10. Why did Sydelle dress for the meeting in red and white stripes and decorate her cane with stars on blue?
Essay Topic 1
The Judge and Sandy do quite a bit of research and an elaborate analysis of the clues. They never, however, discover the true solution to the puzzle. Where did they err? Given the same knowledge, why did they not come up with the same solution that Turtle did? Did Sandy, as Westing, affect the conclusion in any way? Show examples from the text where he may have given a false clue, leading Judge Ford to make the wrong assumption.
Essay Topic 2
Character refers to particular traits of a character in a novel. Characterization refers to the author's way of revealing those character traits. Discuss one of the characters, giving a couple of distinct traits and show examples of how Ellen Raskin characterizes that character. Be sure to include plenty of examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
How can you tell that Sam Westing knew some of the heirs pretty well? Give examples to support your answer. Be sure to include the pairing of the heirs in your answer.
This section contains 1,928 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)