Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What exciting story did Turtle have to tell her family, but decided not to tell all the details?
2. When E.J. Plum started the reading of the Will, what do readers find out about why the residents of Sunset Towers were included in the Will?
3. What object was in the center of the library when the heirs gather there?
4. What name did Turtle tell Flora was her real name?
5. What is one trait of the Sunset Towers apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant by the expression, "to go on the wagon"?
2. After examining all her information for the newspaperman, who did Judge Ford believe must be protected from Westing's mischief and why did she think this?
3. When did the second bomb go off?
4. Why did the Judge Ford warn Sandy that they needed to keep their wits about them in Chapter 24?
5. What did the fireman and policeman say caused the explosion?
6. What did Wexler say he knew that no one else did?
7. Why did the bomb squad seem indifferent to the fact that Turtle had been blasted by the latest bomb?
8. Why were the tenants purchasing so many Westing Paper Products?
9. What story did Sandy and Otis tell about the Westing Mansion?
10. Why did Sydelle dress for the meeting in red and white stripes and decorate her cane with stars on blue?
Essay Topic 1
One of the traits of the mystery genre is a crime. There is not truly a crime committed in The Westing Game, so how can it still be considered a mystery? What makes it a mystery? Use examples from the book to defend your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The pairings of the heirs is very unusual. In what ways are the pairings not what might be expected? How did they work out better than anticipated? Chris said that everyone had the perfect partner. Choose 3 partnerships and explain how they were perfect in an expository essay. If you don't think they were perfect, discuss the reasons for your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Each heir that played the game changed in ways that might be unexpected. Analyze how each heir changed over the course of the game. How did working on the puzzle, working with the partner they had, and having the $10,000 at their disposal bring about certain changes?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)