|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn't Mrs. Hoo attend the first meeting for the reading of the Will?
2. Which one of the heirs didn't believe Westing was murdered?
3. What did Turtle want so badly that she was willing to accept a bet to stay in the Westing Mansion?
4. What was speculated as being the real reason Dr. Wexler didn't attend the first reading of the Will?
5. What unique trait does each apartment in Sunset Towers have?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the fireman and policeman say caused the explosion?
2. What story did Sandy and Otis tell about the Westing Mansion?
3. Why was Chris watching legs from his wheelchair?
4. What did Grace Wexler do that Mr. Wexler anticipated her to do and this included in the Will?
5. Why was Judge Ford surprised at McSouthers' description of Mrs. Westing?
6. Why did Angela search under the hoods of the cars in the parking lot?
7. What happened in the coffee shop when the heirs were having a meeting?
8. Why were the tenants purchasing so many Westing Paper Products?
9. What two unusual things happened at the supposed empty Westing Mansion?
10. At the first reading of the Will, what did Ed Plum give to each pair of heirs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Character refers to particular traits of a character in a novel. Characterization refers to the author's way of revealing those character traits. Discuss one of the characters, giving a couple of distinct traits and show examples of how Ellen Raskin characterizes that character. Be sure to include plenty of examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes in The Westing Game is that of family. The heirs are all related in some way, except for Denton Deere, and he is Angela's fiance. However, by the end of the novel, other close ties are formed by the characters, making them a sort of "family" on a different plane. Discuss one or two of the relationships that develop and discuss why they may have formed that particular relationship. What needs for each character are being met? Give examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the Westing Game is games and game-playing. The most obvious games are the chess game and the Will. However, there are other examples of game-playing in the novel. Give examples of game-playing from the novel and discuss them and their impact on the plot.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)