|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Barney Northrup?
2. Which two residents of Sunset Towers did not go to the reading of the Will?
3. What was used as a fuse for the bomb set in Hoo's restaurant?
4. What unique idea did Otis Amber have about Westing's murder?
5. Which of the following is not true of the Westing Mansion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of the six apartments in the Sunset Towers building.
2. How did Turtle get her nickname?
3. How did Turtle think Westing meant for them to use the $10,000? What clues from the Will lead her to believe that?
4. What happened in the coffee shop when the heirs were having a meeting?
5. What did the newspaperman find out about George Theodorakis?
6. How didTurtle feel about Dr. Deere, Angela's fiance?
7. What did Grace Wexler do that Mr. Wexler anticipated her to do and this included in the Will?
8. Why was Chris watching legs from his wheelchair?
9. Why did Angela search under the hoods of the cars in the parking lot?
10. What parting instructions were given to the heirs at the first reading of the first part of Westing's Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen Raskin has stated that the character she most identifies with from the novel is Angela. However, Turtle develops into being the main character. Why is Turtle the best choice to be the main character? Give examples from the book as to why Turtle makes the best main character. What about some of the other characters and their feelings about Westing? How would that make them not the most likely main character? Give examples from the novel about how Turtle feels about Westing in all his disguises.
Essay Topic 2
Every character in a well-written novel serves a purpose for being in the story. All of the characters in the Westing Game are either related to Westing on some level or were relatives of Westing - except for Denton Deere. What might Westing's purpose have been for including Deere among the heirs? What did Deere do that would help serve Westing's purpose? Use examples from the book to show Deere's possible purpose in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes of the Westing Game is games and game-playing. The most obvious games are the chess game and the Will. However, there are other examples of game-playing in the novel. Give examples of game-playing from the novel and discuss them and their impact on the plot.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)