|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will happen to the person who finds out who killed Westing?
2. Which of the following did not happen to Westing?
3. Why would there be no autopsy on Westing's body?
4. What did Angela think Turtle's "crutch" was?
5. What lie did Judge Ford catch Mrs. Wexler in at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sort of letter did the tenants of Sunset Towers receive, and what did it instruct them to do?
2. Why did George Theodorakis falter while telling the story of Violet Westing?
3. When did the second bomb go off?
4. Why did Angela become upset when everyone continually asked about Denton?
5. Why did Sydelle Pulaski walk with a gaily painted crutch, and for what reason did she claim to need it?
6. What did Grace Wexler do that Mr. Wexler anticipated her to do and this included in the Will?
7. Why did the Judge Ford warn Sandy that they needed to keep their wits about them in Chapter 24?
8. What did the newspaperman find out about Mr. Hoo?
9. Why did Sydelle dress for the meeting in red and white stripes and decorate her cane with stars on blue?
10. Why did Sydelle want Angela to dress as her twin for the party?
Essay Topic 1
The Judge and Sandy do quite a bit of research and an elaborate analysis of the clues. They never, however, discover the true solution to the puzzle. Where did they err? Given the same knowledge, why did they not come up with the same solution that Turtle did? Did Sandy, as Westing, affect the conclusion in any way? Show examples from the text where he may have given a false clue, leading Judge Ford to make the wrong assumption.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Sam Westing devised the Westing game? What insight into his thoughts does the author give us as clues to his motives? What do you think about his motives? Do you approve of what he did, or not? Why or why not? Give examples from the book for your answers, including why you may or may not approve of his motives - i.e., how did what he do affect the various characters?
Essay Topic 3
Parallelism is one of the literary devices used in The Westing Game. One example of parallelism is that of Angela/Theo and Violet Westing and George Theodorakis. Find at least one other example of parallelism in the novel and discuss it. What purpose would the author maybe have for including those examples of parallelism?
This section contains 1,820 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)