|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ms. Pulaski fake an illness?
2. What feeling does Chris have about the one-way windows in his apartment?
3. Why did this one pair of heirs not receive their money?
4. What is the setting of Chapter 7?
5. Several people are mentioned as limping. What is the reason given?
Short Essay Questions
1. What parting instructions were given to the heirs at the first reading of the first part of Westing's Will?
2. Why did Angela become upset when everyone continually asked about Denton?
3. Why were the tenants purchasing so many Westing Paper Products?
4. What two unusual things happened at the supposed empty Westing Mansion?
5. What did the newspaperman find out about George Theodorakis?
6. Why did Mr. Hoo laugh when Grace suggested that her husband was doing his bookkeeping?
7. What sort of letter did the tenants of Sunset Towers receive, and what did it instruct them to do?
8. When did the second bomb go off?
9. Why was Judge Ford surprised at McSouthers' description of Mrs. Westing?
10. Describe the appearance of the six apartments in the Sunset Towers building.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Parallelism is one of the literary devices used in The Westing Game. One example of parallelism is that of Angela/Theo and Violet Westing and George Theodorakis. Find at least one other example of parallelism in the novel and discuss it. What purpose would the author maybe have for including those examples of parallelism?
Essay Topic 2
The Judge and Sandy do quite a bit of research and an elaborate analysis of the clues. They never, however, discover the true solution to the puzzle. Where did they err? Given the same knowledge, why did they not come up with the same solution that Turtle did? Did Sandy, as Westing, affect the conclusion in any way? Show examples from the text where he may have given a false clue, leading Judge Ford to make the wrong assumption.
Essay Topic 3
Grace feels the "third bedroom is a trifle small" but it will be okay for Turtle. What does this show about how she regards Turtle? What are some other indications throughout the story that show her feelings toward Turtle? How does Grace's relationship with her children, and the way it changes over the span of the novel, show her growth in character?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)