|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was included in the Will?
2. Mrs. Wexler had plans for the entire $10,000 that she and Mr. Hoo got. What was her plan?
3. Who was the first to be shown an apartment in Sunset Towers?
4. What lie did Judge Ford catch Mrs. Wexler in at the party?
5. Which of the following was NOT listed in the letters as features of the apartments?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story did Sandy and Otis tell about the Westing Mansion?
2. What parting instructions were given to the heirs at the first reading of the first part of Westing's Will?
3. Why did the Judge Ford warn Sandy that they needed to keep their wits about them in Chapter 24?
4. What did the newspaperman find out about George Theodorakis?
5. What clues indicate to the reader that the heirs were jittery and nervous after the repeated bombings?
6. Why did Mr. Hoo laugh when Grace suggested that her husband was doing his bookkeeping?
7. Who was Rosalie and how did she die?
8. Describe what event was occurring at the beginning of Chapter 16.
9. Why were the tenants purchasing so many Westing Paper Products?
10. Why was Judge Ford so concerned about Crow in Chapter 22?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes of the Westing Game is games and game-playing. The most obvious games are the chess game and the Will. However, there are other examples of game-playing in the novel. Give examples of game-playing from the novel and discuss them and their impact on the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Deductive reasoning is a technique for taking meaning from a work of literature. It involves logic: the conclusion drawn when fact one relates in a certain way to fact two. However, often an invalid logic statement results when fact one and fact two are not true. The conclusion is therefore not true, though the relationship between the first two facts is logical. Find an example of such a situation in the novel and discuss it fully.
Essay Topic 3
One of the devices in novel writing is to show growth/changes in the characters. In the Westing Game, the characters are somewhat equally important. Choose any one character and fully discuss that character's growth over the course of the novel. Be sure to show examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,886 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)