|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was included in the Will?
2. Why did Turtle kick everything in her room as she left in Chapter 9?
3. What is the significance of the limp that is mentioned?
4. Which of the following is not true of the Westing Mansion?
5. What exciting story did Turtle have to tell her family, but decided not to tell all the details?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two unusual things happened at the supposed empty Westing Mansion?
2. What happened in the coffee shop when the heirs were having a meeting?
3. When did the second bomb go off?
4. Why was Chris watching legs from his wheelchair?
5. What did the fireman and policeman say caused the explosion?
6. Why did Angela become upset when everyone continually asked about Denton?
7. What two things did Turtle find in the mansion on Halloween night?
8. Why did Angela search under the hoods of the cars in the parking lot?
9. What parting instructions were given to the heirs at the first reading of the first part of Westing's Will?
10. How did Turtle and Flora differ in their interpretation of what it meant to "Buy Westing Paper Products?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen Raskin has stated that the character she most identifies with from the novel is Angela. However, Turtle develops into being the main character. Why is Turtle the best choice to be the main character? Give examples from the book as to why Turtle makes the best main character. What about some of the other characters and their feelings about Westing? How would that make them not the most likely main character? Give examples from the novel about how Turtle feels about Westing in all his disguises.
Essay Topic 2
Grace feels the "third bedroom is a trifle small" but it will be okay for Turtle. What does this show about how she regards Turtle? What are some other indications throughout the story that show her feelings toward Turtle? How does Grace's relationship with her children, and the way it changes over the span of the novel, show her growth in character?
Essay Topic 3
One of the traits of the mystery genre is a crime. There is not truly a crime committed in The Westing Game, so how can it still be considered a mystery? What makes it a mystery? Use examples from the book to defend your answer.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)