|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From her newspaper research, which of the following did Judge Ford find had a connection to Mr. Westing?
2. What was supposed to be wrong with Sydelle Pulaski?
3. What discovery did Chris Theodorakis make while birdwatching?
4. Who was the first to be shown an apartment in Sunset Towers?
5. Each of the pairs of heirs gained something from their partner. What did Turtle gain from her partner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Turtle mean by the expression, "Paper losses. . .doesn't mean a thing"?
2. How did Turtle get her nickname?
3. Why did Sydelle Pulaski walk with a gaily painted crutch, and for what reason did she claim to need it?
4. Why were the tenants purchasing so many Westing Paper Products?
5. What sort of letter did the tenants of Sunset Towers receive, and what did it instruct them to do?
6. How did Turtle and Flora differ in their interpretation of what it meant to "Buy Westing Paper Products?"
7. What happened in the coffee shop when the heirs were having a meeting?
8. Why did Angela become upset when everyone continually asked about Denton?
9. When did the second bomb go off?
10. What did Wexler say he knew that no one else did?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellen Raskin has stated that the character she most identifies with from the novel is Angela. However, Turtle develops into being the main character. Why is Turtle the best choice to be the main character? Give examples from the book as to why Turtle makes the best main character. What about some of the other characters and their feelings about Westing? How would that make them not the most likely main character? Give examples from the novel about how Turtle feels about Westing in all his disguises.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of the Westing Game is games and game-playing. The most obvious games are the chess game and the Will. However, there are other examples of game-playing in the novel. Give examples of game-playing from the novel and discuss them and their impact on the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Each heir that played the game changed in ways that might be unexpected. Analyze how each heir changed over the course of the game. How did working on the puzzle, working with the partner they had, and having the $10,000 at their disposal bring about certain changes?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)