|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The morning after the reading of the Will, what did Turtle do to help the others and earn some money for herself?
2. Why did Turtle kick everything in her room as she left in Chapter 9?
3. What did Mr. Hoo think caused the explosion in the kitchen of the coffee shop?
4. Which of the following is not true of the Westing Mansion?
5. What did each of the pairs of heirs come to decide about the clues given to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. How didTurtle feel about Dr. Deere, Angela's fiance?
2. Why were the tenants purchasing so many Westing Paper Products?
3. How did Judge Ford react when told by Sandy that Jake Wexler was a bookie?
4. When did the second bomb go off?
5. What did Grace Wexler do that Mr. Wexler anticipated her to do and this included in the Will?
6. What two unusual things happened at the supposed empty Westing Mansion?
7. What happened at/to the Westing house at the end of the game?
8. What parting instructions were given to the heirs at the first reading of the first part of Westing's Will?
9. What did the fireman and policeman say caused the explosion?
10. What did Wexler say he knew that no one else did?
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Sam Westing devised the Westing game? What insight into his thoughts does the author give us as clues to his motives? What do you think about his motives? Do you approve of what he did, or not? Why or why not? Give examples from the book for your answers, including why you may or may not approve of his motives - i.e., how did what he do affect the various characters?
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes of the Westing Game is games and game-playing. The most obvious games are the chess game and the Will. However, there are other examples of game-playing in the novel. Give examples of game-playing from the novel and discuss them and their impact on the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Ellen Raskin has stated that the character she most identifies with from the novel is Angela. However, Turtle develops into being the main character. Why is Turtle the best choice to be the main character? Give examples from the book as to why Turtle makes the best main character. What about some of the other characters and their feelings about Westing? How would that make them not the most likely main character? Give examples from the novel about how Turtle feels about Westing in all his disguises.
This section contains 1,842 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)