|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Beryl and Blix looking for when out on an elephant scouting mission for a client?
2. What is the content of the telegram Beryl receives?
3. Why does Wrack's owner change his mind about Beryl being his trainer?
4. Who is the passenger in the plane that lands in Nairobi?
5. When does Beryl have the saddest tone in the final chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Wise Child when she runs the Saint Leger race?
2. Beryl receives a telegram from Baron von Blixen. What is the content of the telegram?
3. Who is the passenger of the plane that lands in Nairobi, and what condition is that passenger in?
4. How does the idea for Beryl's transatlantic flight begin?
5. Who is the pilot of the plane Beryl watches land in Nairobi?
6. Why does Beryl think it is crazy for men to hunt elephants?
7. What news detracts from Beryl's accomplishment?
8. What is Beryl's concern about her horse, Wise Child, in the Saint Leger race?
9. What is Denys Finch Hatton's idea to improve hunting?
10. Why were Beryl and Blix forced to stay grounded in Cairo for a week?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was survival an integral part of West with the Night? How did that concept relate to Beryl Markham? What were her views on that topic? Support your responses with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Beryl consider her transatlantic flight a failure? Are there other failures she has had in her life? Why? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Beryl Markham depict the relationship between the colonizers and the colonized in British East Africa? As a foreigner living in Africa, do you think that Markham supports the colonial system or does she criticize it? Support your opinions with evidence from the book.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)