|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the idea for a transatlantic flight begin?
2. From whom does Beryl receive a telegram after she receives the letter from Tom Black?
3. Who is the pilot of the plane that Beryl watches land in Nairobi?
4. What idea does Denys Finch Hatton have for hunting?
5. What does Beryl find when she arrives at Ithumba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Denys Finch Hatton's idea to improve hunting?
2. What happens when Beryl lands on the airfield to retrieve Blix and Winston?
3. How does Beryl get Makula to fly in her plane?
4. Why are Beryl and Blix detained in Cagliari?
5. Who is the passenger of the plane that lands in Nairobi, and what condition is that passenger in?
6. What is Beryl's concern about her horse, Wise Child, in the Saint Leger race?
7. Who is the pilot of the plane Beryl watches land in Nairobi?
8. What happens to Wise Child when she runs the Saint Leger race?
9. Why does Blix refrain from shooting the elephant that he and Beryl had scouted?
10. In Cairo, what does Blix tell Beryl he has seen after a night of drinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Beryl's understanding of her identity develop over the course of her life? Consider the different phases of Beryl's life. Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How do the lessons and skills of Beryl's life in British East Africa influence her demeanor as an aviatrix on her historic journey? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How do animals play a role in Beryl's life? What are the most significant things Beryl takes from her experience with them? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)