|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beryl find when she arrives at Ithumba?
2. Who is the pilot of the plane that Beryl watches land in Nairobi?
3. Where are Beryl and Blix forced to stay in Benghazi?
4. Who is the passenger in the plane that lands in Nairobi?
5. What happens when Beryl and Blix are examining the elephants they have scouted?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom Black advise Beryl in a letter he writes to her from England?
2. How does the idea for Beryl's transatlantic flight begin?
3. What happens when Beryl lands on the airfield to retrieve Blix and Winston?
4. Beryl receives a telegram from Baron von Blixen. What is the content of the telegram?
5. What happens when Beryl flies to the hunters' camp at Ithumba?
6. Where does Beryl go for repairs on her plane before the hunting party moves on the Ithumba?
7. Who is the passenger of the plane that lands in Nairobi, and what condition is that passenger in?
8. What are Beryl and Blix required to do after they take off from Amseat?
9. Who is the pilot of the plane Beryl watches land in Nairobi?
10. Why does Beryl think it is crazy for men to hunt elephants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have men played a role in Beryl's life? What do you think are the most significant contributions men have made in forming Beryl's character and outlook? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How is Beryl able to transcend her gender and social roles during her lifetime? How have Beryl's upbringing and growing up in British East Africa shaped her as an adult? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Beryl Markham was quoted as saying, "You can live a lifetime and, at the end of it, know more about other people than you know about yourself". Do you think there is evidence of this statement in West with the Night? Why or why not?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)