|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Beryl think it is crazy for men to hunt elephants?
2. Why did Blix refrain from shooting the elephant that he and Beryl had scouted?
3. Where is Beryl the night before the Saint Leger race?
4. What decision does Beryl make after a plane lands in Nairobi?
5. Why does Beryl need to get permission to fly from Juba and Wadi Halfa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the pilot of the plane Beryl watches land in Nairobi?
2. What happens when Beryl lands on the airfield to retrieve Blix and Winston?
3. Why does Beryl think it is crazy for men to hunt elephants?
4. How does Beryl get Makula to fly in her plane?
5. Where do Beryl and Blix stay in Benghazi?
6. What happens when Beryl arrives in Nova Scotia?
7. Beryl receives a telegram from Baron von Blixen. What is the content of the telegram?
8. How does Tom Black want Beryl to learn how to fly?
9. What is Denys Finch Hatton's idea to improve hunting?
10. What are Beryl and Blix required to do after they take off from Amseat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do animals play a role in Beryl's life? What are the most significant things Beryl takes from her experience with them? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the theme of adventure in West with the Night. What was Beryl's perspective on adventure? Do you think she purposely chose adventure or was it a natural part of her environment? Cite examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How was survival an integral part of West with the Night? How did that concept relate to Beryl Markham? What were her views on that topic? Support your responses with examples from the book.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)