|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carl Hastings tell Beryl about the bet with the dying man at Nungwe?
2. Where do Beryl and her dog wait during the instance that Beryl recalls from her childhood?
3. What does Ebert promise the man with Blackwater at Nungwe?
4. Why does Arab Maina hold up a gourd with bull's blood and curdled milk?
5. What happens when the new racehorse throws Beryl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Beryl need to tend to an emergency in the middle of the night?
2. What is the image that Beryl thinks is a glint of water?
3. What does the man with Blackwater tell Beryl when she talks with him at Nungwe?
4. What happens when Beryl and her dog are hunting wild boar with the Murani Masai?
5. What does the person who Beryl encounters offer Beryl and Woody?
6. What happens when Beryl beats a Nandi boy at a game played by natives?
7. What happens to Beryl and her father as a result of a drought?
8. What is Beryl's concern when Coquette is giving birth?
9. When Beryl was a child, where do she and her father visit that has a lion roaming free on the property?
10. What creates the yellow cloud when Beryl was searching for Woody?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Beryl able to transcend her gender and social roles during her lifetime? How have Beryl's upbringing and growing up in British East Africa shaped her as an adult? Use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is Beryl's view toward hunting elephants? Why does she think that way? Support with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How do animals play a role in Beryl's life? What are the most significant things Beryl takes from her experience with them? Support your answer with examples from the book.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)