|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Blix refrain from shooting the elephant that he and Beryl had scouted?
(a) Because he is too frightened.
(b) It was not very sportsmanlike.
(c) Because it is for his client.
(d) The elephant is too close to get a good shot.
2. Where are Beryl and Blix forced to stay in Benghazi?
(a) At a local brothel.
(b) At a local jail.
(c) At a local missionary church.
(d) At an official's home.
3. What does Beryl find when she arrives at Ithumba?
(a) The hunting party has not arrived.
(b) The hunting party is drunk.
(c) The hunting party has killed a lot of game.
(d) The camp has been ransacked.
4. What prediction does Beryl receive from a customs official?
(a) Her plane will crash.
(b) That she will be reacquainted with an old friend.
(c) She will fly over water to a strange country.
(d) That she will receive a gift.
5. Why are Beryl and Blix grounded for a week?
(a) Because of the weather.
(b) The plane needs repairs.
(c) Blix meets up with an old friend.
(d) They need permission from the Italian government to continue.
6. What request does Beryl make to the hunting party?
(a) That only one person can ride in her plane at a time.
(b) She can only carry small game on her plane.
(c) She needs to leave by sunset.
(d) She will land when they lengthen the air strip.
7. Who is the pilot of the plane that Beryl watches land in Nairobi?
(a) Denys Finch-Hatton.
(c) Tom Black.
8. How does the passenger in the plane that lands in Nairobi sustain his injuries?
(a) He stops to photograph a lion after he and his companions had shot it.
(b) He gets his foot stuck between two rocks before the dynamite explosion.
(c) He gets into a fight with a Massai.
(d) The supports fail in a mine where the man is working.
9. Where does Beryl go for repairs to her plane?
(a) To Nairobi.
(b) J.C. Carberry's coffee plantation, Seramai
(c) To the Delamere's ranch.
(d) To Baron von Blixen's farm.
10. What are Beryl and Blix looking for when out on an elephant scouting mission for a client?
(a) Male elephants with big tusks.
(b) A large herd of elephants.
(c) A place near a water hole.
(d) Elephants within walking distance from camp.
11. What does Blix originally think he is seeing after drinking in Cairo?
(a) A dream.
(b) A hallucination.
12. Where does Beryl decide she would like to move after rescuing the hunting party?
(a) The United States.
13. What happens after Beryl and Blix leave Cagliari?
(a) They have an argument.
(b) They run into a thunderstorm.
(c) The plane has engine trouble.
(d) They realize they left their papers there and have to turn around to retrieve them.
14. With whom does Beryl share her accomplishment?
(a) Lord Delamere.
(c) Her father.
(d) Tom Black.
15. What does Beryl learn about the woman whom she helps make dinner in Benghazi?
(a) She is trying to support seven children.
(b) She was stolen as a young child and would like to return to her country.
(c) She is an indentured servant and still has many years left on her contract.
(d) She has syphilis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Beryl and Blix detained in Cagliari?
2. What happens when Beryl lands on the airstrip trying to retrieve Blix and Winston?
3. Who is the passenger in the plane that lands in Nairobi?
4. Where does Tom Black move to after he leaves British East Africa?
5. Who does Beryl need to get permission from to fly from Juba and Wadi Halfa?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)