|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the pregnant horse's name?
2. What help does Beryl wish she had in Molo?
(a) Help training horses.
(b) Help with bookkeeping.
(c) Help cleaning the house.
(d) Help cleaning stalls.
3. What time of day does Beryl receive the emergency message to go to Nungwe?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the evening.
(c) At night.
(d) In the morning.
4. Why is the wind sock not helpful when Beryl lands at Nungwe?
(a) The sock is sewn shut.
(b) The sock falls on the ground.
(c) It is too dark to see the sock.
(d) The sock is hidden by some brush.
5. What was Beryl Markham's father's profession?
(a) A cattle rancher.
(b) A manufacturer.
(c) A missionary.
(d) A horse trainer.
6. What does Beryl spot while searching for Woody?
(b) A path where the grass has been bent down.
(c) Any sign of Woody.
7. What happens after the mare gives birth?
(a) The mare has to have an emergency operation.
(b) Beryl's father criticizes her.
(c) The colt has to have an emergency operation.
(d) Beryl's father gives the colt to Beryl.
8. What duty does Beryl's father assign her after he acquires the pregnant horse?
(a) Observing the horse for signs of labor.
(b) Cleaning the horse's stable.
(c) Aiding with the birth of the foal.
(d) Grooming the horse.
9. Where did Beryl Markham grow up?
(a) On a farm.
(b) In a small village.
(c) In a tribal community.
(d) In a city.
10. Who owns the farm where there is a lion that is allowed to roam free?
(a) The Elkingtons.
(b) The Delameres.
(c) C.B. Clutterbuck
(d) J.C. Carberry.
11. What is the first animal that is killed on a hunting trip that Beryl goes on with the Masani Murai?
(a) A kudu.
(b) A jackal.
(c) A reed-buck.
(d) A gazelle.
12. How is Beryl able to track her dog when he chases after a warthog during a hunting outing with the Murani Masai?
(a) Another dog follows his scent.
(b) By following trampled grass.
(c) Arab Maina assists her by tracking him down.
(d) By his barks and a trail of blood.
13. What does the lion that attacks Beryl do to its owner?
(a) It ignores the owner.
(b) It chases the owner up a tree.
(c) It runs away from the owner.
(d) It mauls the owner.
14. What does the new racehorse do when Beryl brushes it?
(a) The horse kicks her.
(b) The horse bites her.
(c) The horse whinnies.
(d) The horse holds still.
15. Which one of these is NOT one of Beryl Markham's professions?
(a) A history making aviatrix.
(b) A bush pilot.
(c) A taxidermist.
(d) A horse trainer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Beryl eager to leave Nungwe?
2. What is the new racehorse's nature?
3. What saddens Beryl's acquaintance whom she encounters while assisting Woody?
4. What does a Nandi boy do after Beryl beats him at a native game?
5. What happens when the new racehorse throws Beryl?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)