|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Beryl hits the new racehorse with her whip?
(a) It starts bucking.
(b) It rears up.
(c) The horse falls onto its back.
(d) It does not move.
2. What does Beryl see after leaving Rothschild's camp?
(a) A native village.
(c) A yellow cloud billowing up.
(d) A rainbow.
3. What happens to Beryl and her father as a result of a drought?
(a) They have to accept food from neighbors.
(b) They are forced to sell the farm.
(c) They have to move back to England.
(d) They have to borrow money from relatives.
4. What does Ebert want Beryl to tell him about when she drops off the oxygen at Nungwe?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) News from the large cities.
(c) The weather report for the next day.
5. What does Beryl do after she and her father arrive at the farm where there is a lion?
(a) She tells her father she wants to go home.
(b) She has tea.
(c) She helps the farm hands with their duties.
(d) She excuses herself to go play.
6. What eventually happens years later to the lion that attacks Beryl?
(a) The owners are forced to have the lion shot.
(b) It is killed by another lion.
(c) It is sold to a circus.
(d) It is sold to a zoo.
7. What is Beryl's childhood horse's name?
(d) Apple Jack.
8. From where does Beryl's father buy a pregnant horse?
9. What duty does Beryl's father assign her after he acquires the pregnant horse?
(a) Grooming the horse.
(b) Cleaning the horse's stable.
(c) Aiding with the birth of the foal.
(d) Observing the horse for signs of labor.
10. Who comes to Beryl's assistance after the lion attacks her?
(a) Beryl's father.
(b) Mr. Elkington.
(c) A farm hand.
(d) Lord Delamere.
11. What does the man with Blackwater discuss with Beryl?
(a) He discusses his illness.
(b) He discusses people he had once known.
(c) He discusses the weather.
(d) He discusses his family.
12. What is the pregnant horse's name?
13. What happens when Beryl's horse and a zebra get into a fight during her childhood?
(a) The zebra runs away.
(b) Beryl is thrown from her horse.
(c) Beryl's horse is injured.
(d) The zebra dies.
14. What company does Woody fly for?
(a) Daallo Airlines.
(b) East African Airways.
15. Who is the only female influence Beryl has during her childhood?
(a) Lady Delamere.
(b) A native woman.
(c) Karen Blixen.
(d) Mrs. Elkington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beryl Markham's father's profession?
2. Why does Beryl fulfill Ebert's promise to the man with Blackwater at Nungwe?
3. What kind of plane does Woody fly?
4. What does seeing zebras remind Beryl of while searching for Woody?
5. Who does Beryl see before meeting up with the lion on the farm?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)