Book 1, Chapter 1, Message from Nungwe
• West with the Night is the memoir of Beryl Markham, horse trainer, bush pilot, and history making aviatrix.
• Beryl Markham grew up in the wilds of Africa where her father raised racehorses on their farm.
• Beryl was the first woman in Africa to receive her horse training license.
• Beryl learned to fly and went on to become the first person to fly east to west across the Atlantic from London to North America.
• She had intended to land in New York, but landed in Nova Scotia instead.
• Beryl receives an urgent message in the middle of the night from Nungwe, a small mining camp, to bring oxygen to a man dying of a lung disease.
• Beryl wants to search for a missing pilot, but reluctantly accepts this assignment instead because she knows the sick man needs her.
• Despite the fact that she has...
This section contains 4,575 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)