|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of arrangement did Bess know her husband would like to see?
2. When did Laura's train ticket expire?
3. What did Gillette blame the lack of newspaper jobs on?
4. What did Gillette focus on while there were no newspaper jobs?
5. Why was the musician Rose wrote about discharged from the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura describe the fog horns?
2. How did Rose introduce her mother to her friends, and how did Laura respond to this?
3. What did Laura assure Almanzo of at the end of her letter about finances?
4. Why did Laura ask her husband to send all further mail to Rose's house?
5. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
6. What is the only negative comment Laura made about Gillette?
7. What did Kreisler say about the treatment of soldiers in his unit?
8. Why did Rose tell her father she would keep her mother away from scones for a while?
9. What did Laura like best about Berkeley?
10. What did Laura think about the Kreislers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Laura's opinion of Gillette, and where did these ideas come from?
Essay Topic 2
How did Rose gain her education, and what did this indicate about her personality?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Rose's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Rose's life?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)