|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Laura's train ticket expire?
2. How many people did the largest theater in the U.S. hold at the time of this book?
3. Why did Laura spend most of her time at the Exposition with Gillette?
4. What did Gillette focus on while there were no newspaper jobs?
5. What branch of the military was Gillette's friend in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura say was her main reason for taking the trip to San Francsico?
2. Why did Laura mark one of her letters as private?
3. What did Laura assure Almanzo of at the end of her letter about finances?
4. What was a big threat to the vineyard owners in the Santa Clara Valley?
5. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
6. Why did Rose tell her father she would keep her mother away from scones for a while?
7. What was so interesting about the watch seen on a sight seeing trip?
8. Why did Laura ask her husband to send all further mail to Rose's house?
9. What did Gillette promise to do for the Wilders when he got a good job?
10. What did the editor say about Rolf Pelkie in a footnote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Laura's writing process, and how did she come to create this process for herself?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What did the title of this book mean? How was it significant to Laura's life and writings?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)