|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Laura do after seeing the Exposition?
2. Which of the following was not a place where Gillette was considering taking a job?
3. Who took Laura to The Presidio?
4. What did the people at The Presidio live in?
5. Where did Rose usually work from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the editor say about Rolf Pelkie in a footnote?
2. What was the private letter about?
3. What did Laura take time to describe from the wood exhibit at the Fair, and why?
4. What was so interesting about the watch seen on a sight seeing trip?
5. What is the only negative comment Laura made about Gillette?
6. What did Laura like best about Berkeley?
7. What did Laura think about the Kreislers?
8. What did Rose say in a postcard about the dog show she and Laura went to?
9. What kind of machine did Laura see at the Fair that she thought would be beneficial to her farm?
10. Why did Laura mark one of her letters as private?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Belonging and security were two themes present in this book. Where did these themes appear, and which people were most motivated by them?
Essay Topic 2
How did Rose show her ambitious spirit, and what did her parents think of this?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how did these instances affect the people involved in those situations?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)