|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What island had a large mast on it?
2. What did Berta do for Laura?
3. Where could the large mast on an island off of San Francisco reach?
4. What did Laura compare the place Rose wanted her to live to?
5. Where did Rose usually work from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura like best about Berkeley?
2. What kind of machine did Laura see at the Fair that she thought would be beneficial to her farm?
3. What did Rose say in a postcard about the dog show she and Laura went to?
4. What happened to make Rose afraid for her mother's safety?
5. What was a big threat to the vineyard owners in the Santa Clara Valley?
6. What did Laura say was her main reason for taking the trip to San Francsico?
7. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
8. What injury did Laura incur while in San Francisco?
9. Why did Laura mark one of her letters as private?
10. What did the editor say about Rolf Pelkie in a footnote?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Rose show her ambitious spirit, and what did her parents think of this?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the main changes Laura noted in her letters while traveling West, and what made these changes so exciting to Laura?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)