|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What island had a large mast on it?
2. How did Rose's editor feel about her story about the musician?
3. Who took Laura to The Presidio?
4. What was Pelkie's occupation?
5. Why did people think Pelkie disappeared?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura assure Almanzo of at the end of her letter about finances?
2. What did Rose say in a postcard about the dog show she and Laura went to?
3. What is the only negative comment Laura made about Gillette?
4. What did Gillette promise to do for the Wilders when he got a good job?
5. What was a big threat to the vineyard owners in the Santa Clara Valley?
6. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
7. What did Laura say was her main reason for taking the trip to San Francsico?
8. What kind of machine did Laura see at the Fair that she thought would be beneficial to her farm?
9. What happened to make Rose afraid for her mother's safety?
10. What did Laura take time to describe from the wood exhibit at the Fair, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Laura's opinion of Gillette, and where did these ideas come from?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)