|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was each gold piece given to Laura in San Francisco worth?
2. How much money did Rose make weekly?
3. Why did Laura spend most of her time at the Exposition with Gillette?
4. What was the biggest dog in the show Laura saw with Rose?
5. Why was the musician Rose wrote about discharged from the Army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rose introduce her mother to her friends, and how did Laura respond to this?
2. What did Laura say was her main reason for taking the trip to San Francsico?
3. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
4. What injury did Laura incur while in San Francisco?
5. What kind of machine did Laura see at the Fair that she thought would be beneficial to her farm?
6. Why did Rose tell her father she would keep her mother away from scones for a while?
7. What was a big threat to the vineyard owners in the Santa Clara Valley?
8. Why did Laura mark one of her letters as private?
9. Why did Laura ask her husband to send all further mail to Rose's house?
10. What was the private letter about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how did these instances affect the people involved in those situations?
Essay Topic 2
Who were some of the famous people that Rose came in contact with in her career, and how did her interactions with these people change her life?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)