|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the footnote of the letter about Pelkie?
2. What did Laura do after seeing the Exposition?
3. What did Laura send literature about to Manly about after her visit to the fair?
4. How did Rose's editor feel about her story about the musician?
5. What was Rose writing about when she visited the Exposition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Kreisler say about the treatment of soldiers in his unit?
2. What was the private letter about?
3. What injury did Laura incur while in San Francisco?
4. What did the editor say about Rolf Pelkie in a footnote?
5. What did Laura say was her main reason for taking the trip to San Francsico?
6. Why did Rose tell her father she would keep her mother away from scones for a while?
7. What did Laura write about Rolf Pelkie?
8. How did Laura describe the fog horns?
9. Why did Laura ask her husband to send all further mail to Rose's house?
10. What is the only negative comment Laura made about Gillette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Laura's feelings about intimacy and marriage, and what events in her life led her to these ideals?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the main changes Laura noted in her letters while traveling West, and what made these changes so exciting to Laura?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)