|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Laura's favorite statue in San Francisco?
2. What year did Laura take her trip to visit Rose?
3. How old was Rose when Laura came to visit her?
4. What was Beachey the first man to ever do?
5. What was Laura's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
2. What did Laura say she noticed about her first ferry ride?
3. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
4. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
5. What kind of farm did Gillette take Laura to, and why?
6. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
7. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
8. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
9. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
10. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
How did Laura's experience at the World Fair change her life for both good and bad?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the editor felt it was so important?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)