|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Laura longing for after leaving the fruit cannery?
2. What was happening in San Francisco at the same time as the Panama Pacific International Exposition?
3. When was this book edited?
4. What did Rose say she and Laura would do when she was not working?
5. Where did Rose take Laura when she first got to San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
2. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
3. What did Laura like to see while at The Bay?
4. How did Laura describe the Great Salt Lake?
5. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
6. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
7. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
8. When the train was heading to Salt Lake, what did Laura say would have made her trip twice as fun?
9. Who built Rose's house, and why was this so significant?
10. What was the first letter written by Laura to and about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Laura's feelings about intimacy and marriage, and what events in her life led her to these ideals?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the editor felt it was so important?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)