|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rose store her mother's letters?
2. What was Laura most excited to see for the first time in San Francisco?
3. What was the name of Laura's settlement in Minnesota?
4. What was Laura longing for after leaving the fruit cannery?
5. What did Laura call the sight that could be seen from Rose's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
2. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
3. What did Laura, Rose, and Gillette do at the Sutro Estate?
4. When the train was heading to Salt Lake, what did Laura say would have made her trip twice as fun?
5. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
6. What kind of farm did Gillette take Laura to, and why?
7. What was the first letter written by Laura to and about?
8. What did Laura say she noticed about her first ferry ride?
9. What does Laura tell her husband to do to stay happy?
10. What was the most interesting thing Laura encountered when she visited some farms with Gillette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did Laura learn about her own life after observing Rose's chosen lifestyle, and how did these lessons change her life?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
Who were some of the famous people that Rose came in contact with in her career, and how did her interactions with these people change her life?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)