|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ed Monroe's occupation before he met Laura?
2. What did Laura used to do at meal times with her family?
3. How much would Laura be paid to write short stories?
4. What was the Panama Pacific International Exposition celebrating?
5. What could be seen from Rose's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Laura tell her husband not to expect any more long letters after October 21?
2. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
3. What did Laura like best about Berkeley?
4. What was a big threat to the vineyard owners in the Santa Clara Valley?
5. What happened to make Rose afraid for her mother's safety?
6. What kind of recipes are included at the end of the book?
7. What did Laura assure Almanzo of at the end of her letter about finances?
8. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
9. Who did Laura get the chance to meet shortly before coming home?
10. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Many different people in this book were persuaded to do things that they would not have done of their own accord? What were some of these instances, and how did persuasion affect their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What were some of the main changes Laura noted in her letters while traveling West, and what made these changes so exciting to Laura?
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)