|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Laura feel about San Francisco?
2. What was the title of Part Two of this book?
3. When was this book edited?
4. Which of these was not an island that fascinated Laura while touring the Bay?
5. How did Laura usually feel about cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Rose introduce her mother to her friends, and how did Laura respond to this?
2. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
3. Who did Laura get the chance to meet shortly before coming home?
4. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
5. Where did Laura get the inspiration for the appendix of this book?
6. Who built Rose's house, and why was this so significant?
7. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
8. What did Laura say about her life after seeing how hard Rose worked at her own job?
9. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
10. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
Essay Topic 1
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Rose's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Rose's life?
Essay Topic 2
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Rose gain her education, and what did this indicate about her personality?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)