|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Beachey the first man to ever do?
2. What was the name of Laura's settlement in Minnesota?
3. How did Laura feel about Telegraph Hill?
4. How much would Laura be paid to write short stories?
5. Why did Laura say she did not take much notice of the first place Rose took her in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
2. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
3. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
4. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
5. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
6. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
7. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
8. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
9. What was the first letter written by Laura to and about?
10. When the train was heading to Salt Lake, what did Laura say would have made her trip twice as fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Laura and Rose have such a strong bond, and how did this relationship change Rose's life?
Essay Topic 2
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Rose's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Rose's life?
Essay Topic 3
How did Laura's experience at the World Fair change her life for both good and bad?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)