|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Laura feel about Telegraph Hill?
2. Which of these was not a sight to be seen from the top of Telegraph Hill?
3. Where did Rose store her mother's letters?
4. What was Fremont Older's occupation?
5. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
2. What was the first letter written by Laura to and about?
3. How did Laura describe the Great Salt Lake?
4. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
5. What kind of farm did Gillette take Laura to, and why?
6. What did Laura, Rose, and Gillette do at the Sutro Estate?
7. What was the most interesting thing Laura encountered when she visited some farms with Gillette?
8. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
9. When the train was heading to Salt Lake, what did Laura say would have made her trip twice as fun?
10. What did Laura say she noticed about her first ferry ride?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Laura's writing process, and how did she come to create this process for herself?
Essay Topic 2
What were Laura's feelings about intimacy and marriage, and what events in her life led her to these ideals?
Essay Topic 3
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)