|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Laura describe the ocean?
2. What was Rose's husband's name?
3. What kind of ship did the sailors that Laura and Rose saw sail on?
4. What hill did Rose live on in San Francisco?
5. What year did Laura take her trip to visit Rose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
2. What does Laura tell her husband to do to stay happy?
3. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
4. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
5. What kind of farm did Gillette take Laura to, and why?
6. What was Laura told she would need while she was in Springfield, and what did she do about this?
7. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
8. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
9. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
10. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Gillette deal with his finances, and how did this affect his standing with his family members?
Essay Topic 2
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the editor felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 3
How did Rose gain her education, and what did this indicate about her personality?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)