|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were there cleats on Telegraph Hill?
2. What season did Laura take her trip to visit Rose?
3. What does the editor think was in the missing letters?
4. Where did Rose and her husband take Laura to walk for a few miles?
5. Where was Laura when she first saw Alcatraz?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
2. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
3. What did Laura, Rose, and Gillette do at the Sutro Estate?
4. How did Laura describe the Great Salt Lake?
5. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
6. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
7. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
8. What was the most interesting thing Laura encountered when she visited some farms with Gillette?
9. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
10. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Laura and Rose have such a strong bond, and how did this relationship change Rose's life?
Essay Topic 2
How did Laura's experience at the World Fair change her life for both good and bad?
Essay Topic 3
What was Laura's opinion of Gillette, and where did these ideas come from?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)