|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Laura's farm?
2. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
3. What did Laura used to do at meal times with her family?
4. Why did Almanzo give Laura a nick-name?
5. What attribute of San Francisco was Laura most drawn to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
2. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
3. How did Laura describe the Great Salt Lake?
4. What was Laura told she would need while she was in Springfield, and what did she do about this?
5. What kind of farm did Gillette take Laura to, and why?
6. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
7. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
8. What did Laura like to see while at The Bay?
9. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
10. What does Laura tell her husband to do to stay happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Laura's opinion of Gillette, and where did these ideas come from?
Essay Topic 2
What were Laura's feelings about intimacy and marriage, and what events in her life led her to these ideals?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Rose's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Rose's life?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)