|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Panama Pacific International Exposition celebrating?
2. What was Laura longing for after leaving the fruit cannery?
3. Where did Rose take Laura when she first got to San Francisco?
4. What was Beachey the first man to ever do?
5. Where was Laura walking when she met some sailors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Ed Monroe?
2. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
3. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
4. Who built Rose's house, and why was this so significant?
5. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
6. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
7. What did Laura say she noticed about her first ferry ride?
8. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
9. What did Laura like to see while at The Bay?
10. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the editor felt it was so important?
Essay Topic 2
How did Rose gain her education, and what did this indicate about her personality?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Laura and Rose have such a strong bond, and how did this relationship change Rose's life?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)