|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much would Laura be paid to write short stories?
2. How did Laura describe the ocean?
3. How did Laura feel about Telegraph Hill?
4. Who discovered the Pacific Ocean?
5. What was Fremont Older's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Laura told she would need while she was in Springfield, and what did she do about this?
2. What was the most interesting thing Laura encountered when she visited some farms with Gillette?
3. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
4. How did Laura describe the Great Salt Lake?
5. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
6. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
7. Who was Ed Monroe?
8. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
9. What did Laura like to see while at The Bay?
10. Who built Rose's house, and why was this so significant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Laura's feelings about intimacy and marriage, and what events in her life led her to these ideals?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
What did the title of this book mean? How was it significant to Laura's life and writings?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)