|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first person Rose wrote a biography for?
2. How much would Laura be paid to write short stories?
3. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
4. What year did Laura take her trip to visit Rose?
5. Where did Rose and her husband take Laura to walk for a few miles?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
2. What was the first letter written by Laura to and about?
3. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
4. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
5. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
6. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
7. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
8. What did Laura like to see while at The Bay?
9. When the train was heading to Salt Lake, what did Laura say would have made her trip twice as fun?
10. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Rose gain her education, and what did this indicate about her personality?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Rose's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Rose's life?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)