|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Laura's farm?
2. What was Rose's married name?
3. What kind of ship did the sailors that Laura and Rose saw sail on?
4. Who wrote the first letter in the book?
5. Why did Rose never go through her mother's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laura tell her husband to do to stay happy?
2. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
3. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
4. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
5. Who was Ed Monroe?
6. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
7. What was Laura told she would need while she was in Springfield, and what did she do about this?
8. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
9. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
10. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Rose gain her education, and what did this indicate about her personality?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the main changes Laura noted in her letters while traveling West, and what made these changes so exciting to Laura?
Essay Topic 3
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)