|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street did Rose live on in San Francisco?
2. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
3. How did Laura feel about Telegraph Hill?
4. Who wrote the first letter in the book?
5. Where did Rose store her mother's letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
2. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
3. What did Laura say she noticed about her first ferry ride?
4. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
5. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
6. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
7. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
8. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
9. What was the first letter written by Laura to and about?
10. What was Laura told she would need while she was in Springfield, and what did she do about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
How did Gillette deal with his finances, and how did this affect his standing with his family members?
Essay Topic 3
How did Rose gain her education, and what did this indicate about her personality?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)