|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season did Laura take her trip to visit Rose?
2. Who wrote the first letter in the book?
3. What surprised Laura about the cannery she visited with Rose?
4. Who built Rose's House?
5. What was Almanzo's nick name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Laura told she would need while she was in Springfield, and what did she do about this?
2. How did Laura describe the Great Salt Lake?
3. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
4. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
5. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
6. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
7. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
8. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
9. What did Laura like to see while at The Bay?
10. What was the most interesting thing Laura encountered when she visited some farms with Gillette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freedom of expression was a crucial theme and symbol in this book and in Rose's life. How was this theme presented, and how did its place in this book affect the main people in Rose's life?
Essay Topic 2
What was Laura's opinion of Gillette, and where did these ideas come from?
Essay Topic 3
Diversity was a major theme in this book as many different life-styles and ranks in society were involved. How was this theme shown in this book, and why do you think the editor felt it was so important?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)