|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season did Laura take her trip to visit Rose?
2. What could be seen from Rose's house?
3. What was Fremont Older's occupation?
4. What was Rose's married name?
5. Why did Laura say she did not take much notice of the first place Rose took her in San Francisco?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the train was heading to Salt Lake, what did Laura say would have made her trip twice as fun?
2. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
3. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
4. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
5. What kind of farm did Gillette take Laura to, and why?
6. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
7. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
8. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
9. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
10. What did Laura like to see while at The Bay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety were common themes throughout this book. What were some of the instances where these themes were present, and why were they so important to the people involved?
Essay Topic 2
Which person did you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
What did the title of this book mean? How was it significant to Laura's life and writings?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)