|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Laura not like about the film about Germans?
(a) The brutality.
(b) The broadness.
(c) The boredom.
(d) The brevity.
2. What did Laura not like about the valley Rose wanted her to move to?
(a) The insects.
(b) The humidity.
(c) The heat.
(d) The smell.
3. Which of the following was not a place where Gillette was considering taking a job?
(a) De Smet.
(b) St. Louis.
(c) Kansas City.
(d) San Francisco.
4. How many people did the largest theater in the U.S. hold at the time of this book?
5. Where did Laura later publish her description of the Exposition?
(a) The Rocky Ridge Paper.
(b) The Missouri Ruralist.
(c) The Daily Missourian.
(d) The De Smet Post.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was in the footnote of the letter about Pelkie?
2. What was Laura able to tour at The Presidio?
3. What did Gillette blame the lack of newspaper jobs on?
4. How did Rose know Pelkie?
5. What show did Laura go see with Rose at the Fair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What injury did Laura incur while in San Francisco?
2. What did Laura think about the Kreislers?
3. What did the editor say about Rolf Pelkie in a footnote?
4. What kind of machine did Laura see at the Fair that she thought would be beneficial to her farm?
5. What did Laura write about Rolf Pelkie?
6. What was the private letter about?
7. What was a big threat to the vineyard owners in the Santa Clara Valley?
8. What did Gillette promise to do for the Wilders when he got a good job?
9. Why did Rose tell her father she would keep her mother away from scones for a while?
10. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)