|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was Rose giving Laura each week in return for help on her writing?
2. Why was the musician Rose wrote about discharged from the Army?
(a) He was deported.
(b) He was released due to talent.
(c) He misbehaved.
(d) He was wounded.
3. What was Rose writing about when she visited the Exposition?
(a) International relations.
(c) The railroad.
(d) The War.
4. What powered the Keen Kutter exhibit?
(b) Manual motors.
(c) Water power.
5. What was in the footnote of the letter about Pelkie?
(a) He was an American spy, not German.
(b) He was arrested.
(c) He was not really German.
(d) He was not a spy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was stolen from Laura's farm while she was gone?
2. Who helped Bess with what she was working on while visiting her daughter?
3. How did Laura feel about the Charlie Chaplin film she saw?
4. Why did Laura not spend much time at the Belgian exhibit at the Exposition?
5. What did Laura send from Rose for Manly to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura describe the fog horns?
2. What happened to make Rose afraid for her mother's safety?
3. What did Laura think about the Kreislers?
4. What about Goat Island was so intriguing to Laura?
5. What kind of machine did Laura see at the Fair that she thought would be beneficial to her farm?
6. What injury did Laura incur while in San Francisco?
7. What did Kreisler say about the treatment of soldiers in his unit?
8. How did Rose introduce her mother to her friends, and how did Laura respond to this?
9. Why did Laura ask her husband to send all further mail to Rose's house?
10. What is the only negative comment Laura made about Gillette?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)