|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Laura and her husband take jobs off of their farm?
(a) They were tired of country life.
(b) Their daughter was sick.
(c) They needed money to expand the farm.
(d) The farming was not successful.
2. Who wrote the first letter in the book?
3. What was Laura's favorite statue in San Francisco?
(a) A great dragon.
(b) George Washington.
(c) The stone lions.
(d) Kindly Indians.
4. What was Laura most excited to see for the first time in San Francisco?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) Rose's husband.
(c) A streetcar.
(d) A seagull.
5. What was Rose's first writing job?
(a) A telegraph writer.
(b) A biographer.
(c) A newsletter poet.
(d) A newspaper columnist.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was this book edited?
2. Where did Rose store her mother's letters?
3. Which of these was not an island that fascinated Laura while touring the Bay?
4. What was happening in San Francisco at the same time as the Panama Pacific International Exposition?
5. How much would Laura be paid to write short stories?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rose say in a postcard about the dog show she and Laura went to?
2. What kind of machine did Laura see at the Fair that she thought would be beneficial to her farm?
3. What did Laura say was her main reason for taking the trip to San Francsico?
4. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
5. How did Laura explain the power that women have in the kitchen in the appendix?
6. What did Laura say brought extra power to the modern kitchen?
7. What injury did Laura incur while in San Francisco?
8. What did Laura say about the Rocky Mountains?
9. What did Laura think about the Kreislers?
10. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)