|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Laura usually feel about cities?
(a) She loved them.
(b) She found them interesting.
(c) She was scared of them.
(d) She hated them.
2. How did Laura describe the ocean?
(b) Beyond description.
3. What hill did Rose live on in San Francisco?
(a) German Hill.
(b) Russian Hill.
(c) French Hill.
(d) Spanish Hill.
4. What was happening in San Francisco at the same time as the Panama Pacific International Exposition?
(a) The American Mexican War.
(b) The World Fair.
(c) The Presidential Campaign.
(d) The Exploration of the Pacific.
5. Where did Rose store her mother's letters?
(a) A box.
(b) A barrell.
(c) A chest.
(d) An envelope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprised Laura about the cannery she visited with Rose?
2. What was Fremont Older's occupation?
3. What attribute of San Francisco was Laura most drawn to?
4. What was Laura's nickname?
5. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
2. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
3. What was the most interesting thing Laura encountered when she visited some farms with Gillette?
4. What did Laura and Rose see some sailors doing at the pier?
5. What did Laura, Rose, and Gillette do at the Sutro Estate?
6. What does Laura tell her husband to do to stay happy?
7. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
8. What was the first letter written by Laura to and about?
9. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
10. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)