|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could be seen from Rose's house?
(a) The bridge.
(b) The factory.
(c) The gardens.
(d) The Bay.
2. What was the Panama Pacific International Exposition celebrating?
(a) The completion of the Panama canal.
(b) A new treaty signed.
(c) The end of a war.
(d) The anniversary of a great battle.
3. Whose idea was it for Laura to come to San Francisco?
4. What was Laura longing for after leaving the fruit cannery?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Canned fruit.
(c) A warm bed.
(d) Her farm.
5. What was Laura's middle name?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
2. Where was Laura walking when she met some sailors?
3. Where was Laura when she first saw Alcatraz?
4. Why did Laura and her husband take jobs off of their farm?
5. Why were there cleats on Telegraph Hill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Gillette not pay Laura the amount promised before she left to go back home?
2. Where did Laura first spend a night on her trip, and why?
3. What did Rose say in a postcard about the dog show she and Laura went to?
4. How did Laura explain the power that women have in the kitchen in the appendix?
5. Who did Laura get the chance to meet shortly before coming home?
6. What did Laura apologize to her husband about in one of her last letters?
7. How did Laura feel after her visit to a fruit cannery, and why?
8. Why did Laura include recipes at the end of this book?
9. What did Laura like best about Berkeley?
10. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)