|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ed Monroe's occupation before he met Laura?
(a) Bounty hunter.
2. What was an ear spoon used for?
(a) To clean bowls.
(b) To clean ears.
(c) To examine skulls.
(d) To hear better.
3. What was Niles's occupation?
4. What was the Panama Pacific International Exposition celebrating?
(a) The end of a war.
(b) A new treaty signed.
(c) The completion of the Panama canal.
(d) The anniversary of a great battle.
5. Why did Laura say she did not take much notice of the first place Rose took her in San Francisco?
(a) There was too much to see.
(b) It was dark.
(c) She was talking to Rose.
(d) She was too tired.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Laura when she first saw Alcatraz?
2. What kind of food in San Francisco did Laura not like?
3. How old was Rose when Laura came to visit her?
4. What was Fremont Older's occupation?
5. Who wrote the first letter in the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
2. How did Laura describe the Great Salt Lake?
3. What did Laura write about her time in Chinatown?
4. What did Laura say she noticed about her first ferry ride?
5. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
6. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
7. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
8. Why did Laura not like the Harvard lawyer on the train?
9. Who built Rose's house, and why was this so significant?
10. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)