|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were there cleats on Telegraph Hill?
(a) To disuade horses from climbing it.
(b) To aid the telegraphers.
(c) To help people climb it.
(d) To mark the distance.
2. What was Rose's first writing job?
(a) A newsletter poet.
(b) A telegraph writer.
(c) A newspaper columnist.
(d) A biographer.
3. What was Laura's favorite statue in San Francisco?
(a) George Washington.
(b) The stone lions.
(c) A great dragon.
(d) Kindly Indians.
4. What job was Rose one of the first women to hold?
(a) Newpaper editor.
(b) Train conductor.
(c) Real estate agent.
(d) Company executive.
5. What was happening in San Francisco at the same time as the Panama Pacific International Exposition?
(a) The Presidential Campaign.
(b) The World Fair.
(c) The American Mexican War.
(d) The Exploration of the Pacific.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Laura longing for after leaving the fruit cannery?
2. What was the Panama Pacific International Exposition celebrating?
3. What kind of food in San Francisco did Laura not like?
4. Which of the following was a premier feature at the Exposition?
5. What was Beachey the first man to ever do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura describe her first view of the Pacific Ocean?
2. Who built Rose's house, and why was this so significant?
3. Who was Ed Monroe?
4. When the train was heading to Salt Lake, what did Laura say would have made her trip twice as fun?
5. What made Laura disconcerted on her trip across the desert?
6. What made Laura so uncomfortable on the trip?
7. What was Laura's nickname, and why?
8. What did Laura, Rose, and Gillette do at the Sutro Estate?
9. What did Laura talk about in the letter she wrote while in Kansas City?
10. What did Niles do for a living, and what did he take Laura to see?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)