|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many films did Rose take Laura to see?
2. What was the name of the farmhand helping Manly?
(a) Mr. Mall.
(b) Mr. Mill.
(c) Mr. Null.
(d) Mr. Nall.
3. What did Gillette focus on while there were no newspaper jobs?
(a) The Exposition.
(b) Real estate.
(c) His novel.
(d) Horse tracks.
4. What was the large mast on an island for?
(a) A warning light.
(b) A telegraph station.
(c) A wireless station.
(d) A news transmission.
5. What was in the footnote of the letter about Pelkie?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He was not really German.
(c) He was an American spy, not German.
(d) He was not a spy.
6. Why did Laura not spend much time at the Belgian exhibit at the Exposition?
(a) There was not time.
(b) She started feeling sick.
(c) It was too expensive.
(d) She did not like it.
7. Where did Rose hope her parents would like living?
(a) Mill Valley.
(b) Napa Valley.
(c) San Rosa Valley.
(d) Santa Clara Valley.
8. What was The Presidio?
(a) An Army reservation.
(b) An Indian tribe.
(c) A plantation.
(d) A migrant village.
9. Who helped Bess with what she was working on while visiting her daughter?
10. What did Laura compare the man chewing on the street car to?
(a) An electric motor.
(b) A bobbing duck.
(c) A butter churner.
(d) A machine cog.
11. What was Rose writing about when she visited the Exposition?
(a) International relations.
(b) The War.
(c) The railroad.
12. How did Rose know Pelkie?
(a) They went to church together.
(b) They worked together.
(c) They went to school together.
(d) They were neighbors.
13. Why did people think Pelkie disappeared?
(a) He was kidnapped.
(b) He was deported.
(c) He was a spy.
(d) He was evicted.
14. What company owned the milk condensery that Laura toured?
15. What kind of musician was Rose assigned to write about?
(a) A flautist.
(b) A trumpeter.
(c) An organist.
(d) A violinist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inspired the thing that Laura sent Manly from Rose?
2. What was the musician Rose wrote about sending all of his money to support?
3. How many people did the largest theater in the U.S. hold at the time of this book?
4. Why was the musician Rose wrote about discharged from the Army?
5. What was Laura able to tour at The Presidio?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)