|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the people at The Presidio live in?
2. What did Gillette focus on while there were no newspaper jobs?
(a) Real estate.
(b) His novel.
(c) Horse tracks.
(d) The Exposition.
3. What was stolen from Laura's farm while she was gone?
4. When did Laura's train ticket expire?
(a) November 5.
(b) October 25.
(c) November 15.
(d) October 15.
5. What was sold at the Keen Kutter exhibit?
(a) Hunting weapons.
(b) Book ends.
6. What was in the footnote of the letter about Pelkie?
(a) He was not a spy.
(b) He was arrested.
(c) He was an American spy, not German.
(d) He was not really German.
7. Where could the large mast on an island off of San Francisco reach?
8. Why did Laura spend most of her time at the Exposition with Gillette?
(a) Gillette was excited.
(b) They couldn't afford three tickets.
(c) Rose was working.
(d) Rose was sick.
9. How many people did the largest theater in the U.S. hold at the time of this book?
10. What was the large mast on an island for?
(a) A wireless station.
(b) A telegraph station.
(c) A news transmission.
(d) A warning light.
11. What did Bess work on while visiting her daughter?
12. What powered the Keen Kutter exhibit?
(c) Water power.
(d) Manual motors.
13. What show did Laura go see with Rose at the Fair?
(a) Animal Kingdom.
(b) Exoctic Creatures.
(c) Dogs of all Nations.
(d) Dogs Great and Small.
14. How much was each gold piece given to Laura in San Francisco worth?
15. What was the man on the street car chewing after the Exposition?
(a) Rubber bands.
(b) Beef Jerky.
(c) Chewing tobacco.
(d) Chewing gum.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Rose usually work from?
2. What branch of the military was Gillette's friend in?
3. What did Laura not like about the film about Germans?
4. How many children had the musician Rose wrote about adopted?
5. Where did Laura later publish her description of the Exposition?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)