|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Rose usually work from?
(a) Her home.
(b) Her editor's house.
(c) Her office.
(d) Her editor's office.
2. When did Laura's train ticket expire?
(a) October 25.
(b) November 15.
(c) October 15.
(d) November 5.
3. What did Bess like to watch while on Telegraph Hill?
(a) The clouds.
(b) The traffic.
(c) The birds.
(d) The boats.
4. What did Laura compare the man chewing on the street car to?
(a) A machine cog.
(b) A bobbing duck.
(c) An electric motor.
(d) A butter churner.
5. What was in the footnote of the letter about Pelkie?
(a) He was not really German.
(b) He was arrested.
(c) He was an American spy, not German.
(d) He was not a spy.
6. How many people did the largest theater in the U.S. hold at the time of this book?
7. What was the name of the farmhand helping Manly?
(a) Mr. Nall.
(b) Mr. Mall.
(c) Mr. Mill.
(d) Mr. Null.
8. What was stolen from Laura's farm while she was gone?
9. What did Laura write about Manly purchasing?
10. How much did the man's hat on the street car move as he chewed after the Exposition?
(a) 4 inches.
(b) 3 inches.
(c) 2 inches.
(d) 1 inch.
11. What did Laura not like about the valley Rose wanted her to move to?
(a) The heat.
(b) The smell.
(c) The humidity.
(d) The insects.
12. Who owed Rose a significant amount of money?
(a) Her lawyer.
(b) The real estate company.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Her publishers.
13. What did Laura compare the place Rose wanted her to live to?
14. What did Gillette focus on while there were no newspaper jobs?
(a) Horse tracks.
(b) Real estate.
(c) His novel.
(d) The Exposition.
15. Why did Laura spend most of her time at the Exposition with Gillette?
(a) Gillette was excited.
(b) Rose was working.
(c) Rose was sick.
(d) They couldn't afford three tickets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the man on the street car chewing after the Exposition?
2. Why did people think Pelkie disappeared?
3. What was Pelkie's first name?
4. How much did Laura say the trip back to Missouri would cost?
5. Where was the Keen Kutter exhibit placed?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)