|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Pelkie's occupation?
2. What did Laura send literature about to Manly about after her visit to the fair?
(a) Egg laying techniques.
(b) Self pasteurizers.
(c) Chicken coops.
(d) Automatic milking machines.
3. What island had a large mast on it?
(a) Alcatraz Island.
(b) Goat Island.
(c) Boarder Island.
(d) Angel Island.
4. How did Laura feel about the condensation process?
(a) It was boring.
(b) It was unexpected.
(c) It was disgusting.
(d) It was fascinating.
5. What did Laura compare the man chewing on the street car to?
(a) A machine cog.
(b) A butter churner.
(c) An electric motor.
(d) A bobbing duck.
6. What did Laura say all men have a fondness for?
(b) Soft breezes.
(c) Green things.
7. How much did the man's hat on the street car move as he chewed after the Exposition?
(a) 3 inches.
(b) 2 inches.
(c) 1 inch.
(d) 4 inches.
8. What company owned the milk condensery that Laura toured?
9. What was Rose writing about when she visited the Exposition?
(b) The War.
(c) International relations.
(d) The railroad.
10. Where was the Keen Kutter exhibit placed?
(a) Near a waterfall.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) Close to the food stands.
(d) By the entrance.
11. What did Laura not like about the valley Rose wanted her to move to?
(a) The humidity.
(b) The smell.
(c) The heat.
(d) The insects.
12. What did Bess like to watch while on Telegraph Hill?
(a) The boats.
(b) The clouds.
(c) The traffic.
(d) The birds.
13. Why did people think Pelkie disappeared?
(a) He was kidnapped.
(b) He was evicted.
(c) He was a spy.
(d) He was deported.
14. What did Laura compare the place Rose wanted her to live to?
15. What did Laura do after seeing the Exposition?
(a) Sent a telegram to Manly.
(b) Bought a souvenier poster of it.
(c) Wrote a detailed letter about it.
(d) Wrote notes about it in a notebook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Laura write about Manly purchasing?
2. How many people did the largest theater in the U.S. hold at the time of this book?
3. How much was Rose giving Laura each week in return for help on her writing?
4. How much was each gold piece given to Laura in San Francisco worth?
5. What did Berta do for Laura?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)