|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the first letter in the book?
2. What newspaper did Rose work for in California?
(a) The San Francisco Bulletin.
(b) The Bear Republic Reporter.
(c) The California Post.
(d) The Star of CA.
3. Who built Rose's House?
(a) Willis Polk.
(b) Waltham Prince.
(c) William Park.
(d) Walter Pert.
4. What was the title of Part Two of this book?
(a) Off the Train.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) The First Leg.
5. What did Roger decide to do when he found Laura's letters?
(a) Put them in a book.
(b) Publish them in a newspaper.
(c) Read them to his daughter.
(d) Give them to Rose.
6. What does the editor think was in the missing letters?
(a) Plans for the trip.
(b) Love letters.
(c) The invitation.
7. How did Laura describe the ocean?
(a) Beyond description.
8. What did the sailors that Rose and Laura have as a pet?
(a) A cat.
(b) A goat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A pony.
9. What did Niles take Laura to see?
(a) The Tower of Jewels.
(b) The Alcatraz Prison.
(c) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(d) The Pacific Ocean.
10. How did Rose educate herself?
(a) She learned from her mother.
(b) She wrote.
(c) She read.
(d) She attended classes.
11. What did Laura and Rose watch down at the docks?
(a) The waves.
(b) The birds.
(c) The fisherman.
(d) The seals.
12. What did Laura call the sight that could be seen from Rose's house?
(a) A piece of Eden.
(b) A blessing and curse.
(c) A fairy land.
(d) A monument.
13. Where did Rose store her mother's letters?
(a) An envelope.
(b) A box.
(c) A barrell.
(d) A chest.
14. What was Rose's husband's name?
15. What did Laura used to do at meal times with her family?
(a) Sing to them.
(b) Sew for her job.
(c) Talk about her day.
(d) Read to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rose never go through her mother's letters?
2. What was Ed Monroe's occupation before he met Laura?
3. What was an ear spoon used for?
4. What was Fremont Older's occupation?
5. Whose idea was it for Laura to come to San Francisco?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)