|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Rose educate herself?
(a) She learned from her mother.
(b) She wrote.
(c) She attended classes.
(d) She read.
2. What does the editor think was in the missing letters?
(a) Love letters.
(c) The invitation.
(d) Plans for the trip.
3. Whose idea was it for Laura to come to San Francisco?
4. What did Niles take Laura to see?
(a) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(b) The Alcatraz Prison.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) The Tower of Jewels.
5. What year did Laura take her trip to visit Rose?
6. Where did Rose and her husband take Laura to walk for a few miles?
(a) Trafalgar Square.
(b) Sutro Estate.
(c) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(d) Central Park.
7. What newspaper did Rose work for in California?
(a) The Star of CA.
(b) The San Francisco Bulletin.
(c) The California Post.
(d) The Bear Republic Reporter.
8. What did Laura used to do at meal times with her family?
(a) Sew for her job.
(b) Read to them.
(c) Sing to them.
(d) Talk about her day.
9. What was the title of Part Two of this book?
(a) The First Leg.
(b) Off the Train.
(c) San Francisco.
10. Who built Rose's House?
(a) Willis Polk.
(b) Walter Pert.
(c) Waltham Prince.
(d) William Park.
11. What attribute of San Francisco was Laura most drawn to?
(a) Its beauty.
(b) Its colors.
(c) Its history.
(d) Its people.
12. What was Laura most excited to see for the first time in San Francisco?
(a) Rose's husband.
(b) A seagull.
(c) The Pacific Ocean.
(d) A streetcar.
13. What did Rose say she and Laura would do when she was not working?
(b) Be together.
(d) Catch up.
14. Why were there cleats on Telegraph Hill?
(a) To help people climb it.
(b) To mark the distance.
(c) To aid the telegraphers.
(d) To disuade horses from climbing it.
15. Why did Laura say she did not take much notice of the first place Rose took her in San Francisco?
(a) She was too tired.
(b) There was too much to see.
(c) It was dark.
(d) She was talking to Rose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Laura's nickname?
2. What job was Rose one of the first women to hold?
3. What did Laura and Rose watch down at the docks?
4. Why did Laura and her husband take jobs off of their farm?
5. Why did Rose never go through her mother's letters?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)