|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these was not a sight to be seen from the top of Telegraph Hill?
(b) The Bay.
(d) The state capital.
2. How old was Rose when Laura came to visit her?
3. What did Almanzo sell?
(b) Planting seeds.
4. Why were there cleats on Telegraph Hill?
(a) To aid the telegraphers.
(b) To mark the distance.
(c) To help people climb it.
(d) To disuade horses from climbing it.
5. How did Laura usually feel about cities?
(a) She loved them.
(b) She found them interesting.
(c) She was scared of them.
(d) She hated them.
6. What was Rose's first writing job?
(a) A telegraph writer.
(b) A newspaper columnist.
(c) A newsletter poet.
(d) A biographer.
7. Who wrote the first letter in the book?
8. Which of the following was a premier feature at the Exposition?
(a) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(b) The free standing statue.
(c) The Japanese Gardens.
(d) The Tower of Jewels.
9. Why did Laura say she did not take much notice of the first place Rose took her in San Francisco?
(a) She was talking to Rose.
(b) She was too tired.
(c) It was dark.
(d) There was too much to see.
10. What was Beachey the first man to ever do?
(a) Walk the wings of a plane.
(b) Fly across the state of California.
(c) Circumnavigate the globe.
(d) Loop the loop on a plane.
11. What did Niles take Laura to see?
(a) The Pacific Ocean.
(b) The Golden Gate Bridge.
(c) The Alcatraz Prison.
(d) The Tower of Jewels.
12. What does the editor think was in the missing letters?
(b) Plans for the trip.
(c) Love letters.
(d) The invitation.
13. What was the Panama Pacific International Exposition celebrating?
(a) A new treaty signed.
(b) The anniversary of a great battle.
(c) The completion of the Panama canal.
(d) The end of a war.
14. Where did Rose store her mother's letters?
(a) An envelope.
(b) A barrell.
(c) A chest.
(d) A box.
15. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
(c) Coal miners.
(d) Railroad workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Laura and Rose watch down at the docks?
2. What did Laura used to do at meal times with her family?
3. What was Laura most excited to see for the first time in San Francisco?
4. What did Laura call the sight that could be seen from Rose's house?
5. Where did Rose and her husband take Laura to walk for a few miles?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)