|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rose say she and Laura would do when she was not working?
(a) Catch up.
(c) Be together.
2. What does the editor think was in the missing letters?
(a) Love letters.
(b) Plans for the trip.
(d) The invitation.
3. What did Laura used to do at meal times with her family?
(a) Read to them.
(b) Sew for her job.
(c) Sing to them.
(d) Talk about her day.
4. How did Rose educate herself?
(a) She wrote.
(b) She learned from her mother.
(c) She read.
(d) She attended classes.
5. How did Roger Lee MacBride know Rose?
(a) He was her teacher.
(b) He was her executor.
(c) He was a pupil of hers.
(d) He was a cousin.
6. What did Laura call the sight that could be seen from Rose's house?
(a) A monument.
(b) A blessing and curse.
(c) A piece of Eden.
(d) A fairy land.
7. What was Rose's husband's name?
8. How did Laura usually feel about cities?
(a) She was scared of them.
(b) She hated them.
(c) She found them interesting.
(d) She loved them.
9. Why were there cleats on Telegraph Hill?
(a) To aid the telegraphers.
(b) To disuade horses from climbing it.
(c) To help people climb it.
(d) To mark the distance.
10. How much did Rose offer to pay for every week of Laura's visit?
11. Where was Laura when she first saw Alcatraz?
(a) The bay liner.
(b) Telegraph Hill.
(c) The street car.
(d) The docks.
12. What did the sailors that Rose and Laura have as a pet?
(a) A pony.
(b) A goat.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cat.
13. What was Laura most excited to see for the first time in San Francisco?
(a) A seagull.
(b) The Pacific Ocean.
(c) A streetcar.
(d) Rose's husband.
14. What was the occupation of most of the people in the Italian tenement?
(b) Railroad workers.
(c) Coal miners.
15. What was the title of Part Two of this book?
(a) Off the Train.
(c) The First Leg.
(d) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these was not an island that fascinated Laura while touring the Bay?
2. How much would Laura be paid to write short stories?
3. What could be seen from Rose's house?
4. What was Laura's nickname?
5. What was Niles's occupation?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)